My family and I rendez-vous annually for a wonderful get-together in the Willamette Valley wine country. One sister and brother-in-law, who grow and bottle estate pinot noir in the Dundee Hills, are our hosts. Their home can only hold so many of us, so every year the overflow family members are dispersed to various lodgings in the immediate area. Until this year, our choices have been the budget motels (Travelodge, Best Western, Shilo, etc), or local Bed and Breakfasts.
So it was with great interest that we learned about the arrival of the Inn at Red Hills. This is a small inn with a big heart. We had four of their rooms over a three-day weekend. (The inn does accept pets in specifically designated pet rooms, and I believe they accept children as well). One of our rooms was a suite, which sleeps four, the others were doubles with queen beds. We liked that the inn has a restaurant which serves 3 meals, plus there is an on-site deli/bakery/wine tasting bar. Staff are extemely accommodating and professional, and there is also concierge service. The inn started as a mixed-use office complex, and then the owners turned the remaining space into luxury, eco-tourism lodging. The building does sit smack on Hwy 99W, the main route from Portland to the coast, so don't envision a bucolic setting, but it is moments away from the country roads of this lovely area.
Features that made this inn a wonderful choice for us are:
1) location, close to my sister's home, close to wineries
2) staff, who are helpful, kind, enthusiastic, and hard-working
3) lovely appointments in the rooms, with top-of -the-line toiletries, bedding, towels, furniture, artwork, etc. Bathrooms were very large with huge shower stalls.
4) convenient, easy parking
5) delicious food at their restaurant "Farm to Fork", with just about everything made onsite, from scratch, using fresh, local ingredients. Their coffee is excellent! Coffe/tea is made available to guests from 6 am in the morning, and is included in the room rate. Bottled water and cookies are left in guests' rooms each evening.
6) An attractive courtyard area with tables, umbrellas, and fireplace for cooler seasons, where guests could sit and enjoy a meal.
7) Nice touches such as a selection of newspapers that are made available to guests, also included in the room rate, as is wireless internet service.
The inn is brand-new. It's only been open for a month, and one wing of rooms has been open for less than that. So there are still some glitches to be worked out. Minor quibbles would include lack of sufficient facilities in the bathroom for hanging towels or placing personal toiletries. (There were only two hooks on the wall in the bathroom). Another observation is that the service in the restaurant for Saturday and Sunday breakfast was slow, due to staff still in the process of becoming familiar with their product, and also because they had a full house. But these are issues which will be rectified with time, I'm sure.
The owner was always onsite and working along with the staff, and that's a sign to me of a successful enterprise. If the owner cares, the staff care.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Inn At Red Hills is the perfect place to enjoy all the Willamette Valley has to offer. Situated within walking distance of many tasting rooms, including four right on the property, we provide the perfect getaway for those coming from far or near looking to relax in the heart of Oregon's wine country. Wine tours may be arranged for those looking to venture out to visit any number of the hundreds of wineries in the Valley. Dundee and its neighboring towns offer some of the best restaurants in Oregon of all atmospheres and styles. Start your day or end it at our restaurant, Babica Hen, featuring fresh breakfast, lunch and dinner sourced from our Northwest bounty and served in a relaxing atmosphere so you can sit back and unwind. The Inn offers full business services for groups and individuals including two conference rooms, catering, and event space. We look forward to customizing your experience so that you may relax in the comfort of our hospitality. Well appointed guest rooms, natural products, and a friendly staff await your visit! Please join us in the heart of Dundee, Oregon... Just 36 miles southwest of Portland. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Inn At Red Hills Hotel Dundee