“Enjoyed Our Stay”
Review of Inn at Red Hills

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dundee
Inn at Red Hills
Ranked #5 of 5 Dundee B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“Enjoyed Our Stay”
Reviewed July 23, 2011

I was on the way to my brother in laws 50th birthday in Olympia. One of my old friends had just moved to Portland so I decided to do a wine tasting side trip Willamette Valley. I had a bit of local terrain knowledge from a prior visit. My preference was not to stay in Newberg. Lodging options are a bit limited for 2 guys on a road trip (they are several nice places for couples) and the Inn appeared to be the best available. The property is fairly new (+) and our room was spacious, nicely decorated, and had a nice large bathroom. We (like other) had trouble with the cooling system (I had to get the directions out). Our room was on the road side but with the AC finally on, we were not bothered by the traffic noise. I felt we got a fair deal for what we paid.

Suggestion - visit the Ponzi Wine Bar in Dundee. They have an excellent selection of local wines (e.g., good small vineyards) and will ship to your home (if allowed by state law). Right next door is the Dundee Bistro - good place for lunch or a casual dinner.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank 1570Green

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed July 10, 2011

I stayed at the Inn at Red Hills for one night over Memorial Day weekend. I was very happy with the hotel, which I knew was on a state highway. I did not find the noise to be annoying or an impediment to sleep. It is not a proper "resort", but is indeed an inn. The room was very large and comfortable. We had two King size sleep number beds, which we found perfectly comfortable. I agree with the previous poster that the AC is a pain in the butt to use. I've never seen anything like it. However, if you read the directions, it is simple to use.

The bathrooms were large and well appointed with H20 bath products. No complaints there. Even though there was a shower and no tub, I was fine with that. Taking a bath in a hotel tub would give me the heebie jeebies.

I agree that it is not great to not have a coffee pot for tea or coffee. The morning we woke up, there was no coffee and the water for the tea was luke warm. You can get tea and coffee in the restaurant, which is very good. I loved their breakfast frittata.

As for location, it is great. It's near a lot of wineries and restaurants. All in all, I would stay there again, and stay there happily.

Here is what they need to do:

Get on top of the coffee and tea in the morning.
Upgrade the AC.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ParisKat
Placerville, CA
Reviewed July 7, 2011

From the web, and in person, it looks beautiful-well furnished and quiet (if you're away from the street). The staff bent over backwards to solve our problems-there were just too many of them.
Let me first say that the management had the philosophy that if it was simple....let's make it complicated!
1) Remember when you used to go to the little dial on the wall to set your thermometer? When the temper was reached, the fan would go off? Well, here there are 2 pages of instructions on how to use the remote!! In our first room (jr. suite- the cooler, hidden by a picture leaked when manually turned off-right above my computer) The cooler would never shut down prior to freezing in this room OR our next room we moved into..
2) Remember when sat on your mattress for a good night's sleep? Here there are more instructions on how to set your remote for the proper comfort number. After a bunch of groaning and wheezing, the mattress never changed to any of our settings. Still the rock on my side and smooush on her's.
3) Want to easily turn on the TV? Here again a remote that needs an education on how to do this. There is a Comcast box and a TV that both need to be turned on and off. On the remote is the button "All On". Not so....it would turn on one and turn off the other. We ended up doing it manually on the set.
Want....
An iron with ironing board? Call the main desk
A coffee maker? Nope..go down the hall and get it from the thermos
A pen and note pad? Nope not here
A phone book? Missing also
An information book with the local channel numbers? Call the main desk
A tub? good luck
Wine glasses to go with the 2 cork screws? Call.....(see above)
We made quite a name for ourselves expecting all of these frills
Oh well, as I said the kids working there were wonderful and apologetic.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank CADaveT
Greer, South Carolina
Reviewed June 20, 2011

Pros:
Clean room
Located in the middle of wine country
Friendly staff
Cons:
14 day cancellation policy
Dial-a-mattress settings made bed very uncomfortable
Drapes had been open all day, room was hot, tiny AC was mounted on interior wall and never cooled off the room
Rooms were in building next door to office/restaurant and above realtor's office (seemed like we were staying in an office more than an inn.)

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Forchheim, Germany
Reviewed May 19, 2011

It depends on what you expect. This is a road sided inn on busy State Road 99W. We had requested a 2Q to the backside from where you can see actually some vineyards on the hills. We got a 1K but that was ok. We did not have any noise problem. But the place was very empty. Our room was large with large windows, modern, had a desk and a huge flat screen. They provide free WiFi. Bathroom had no tub but an oversized shower. Every thing was clean and comfortable but not the bed. I don´t know why but our sleep was not so good.

From locals we found out that the place was under new management. The bank of the previous owners supposedly has kicked them out and brought in a chain company from Seattle. The Farm to Fork restaurant is very impressive. Double height ceilings with a nice bar setting and antique style tables. We picked the first night of their new management so all the staff was a bit searching around. But it was ok. I was disappointed about the limited selection of local wines in their “Wine bar”. Only two local whites were available by the glass, a few more reds. They did not do tastings. Food was great though. We liked their salads and the “little hen” they brought us to share.

Will be interesting to see how this place evolves under the new team.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Willamette Valley
Reviewed April 5, 2011

I'll be brief, because I really don't do reviews but I guess I just need to get this off my chest. However well intended, whoever named this place and did their advertising is either on drugs or intentionally misleading. As others have said, there is a hiway RIGHT outside one side of the building and a parking lot the length of the other. There are only 'hills' on one side and they are covered in subdivision housing, not vineyards. So already, forget about a view, a lovely setting, and quiet. They could maybe have made up for some of this by living up to the advertised 'luxurious', but failed there too. It's new, yes. It's nice, yes. But it lacks the attention to detail and warmth that create luxury. The bed was comfortable, however, a luxury hotel would have had a featherbed in the winter. And how about a nice throw, some magazines? Also, the towels were not the large, thick and thirsty towels real luxury hotels offer.
Let's get honest about the location, a real bummer, and work on either adding what is necessary to make it a luxury property......or stop calling it that.
Oh, and the guy at the desk, while not rude, wasn't what could be described as service oriented, either!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed April 5, 2011

This is a new hotel. The room we had was very nice. The furnishings were all in good shape and the room was very clean. The bed was a sleep numbers bed which we did not love. The rooms had very little sound proofing. I walked down the hall for coffee in the morning and I could hear someone showering like I was in the bathroom with them. I could hear all the conversations as I walked too. From our room though, we didn't hear a thing. The hotel is set up differently. We stayed in a room above some offices. The front desk for the hotel is in the restaurant Farm to Fork which was in a building next door. Before you make a reservation call them and ask if they have any specials. We got our room highly discounted because the hotel was nearly empty and we booked last minute.

Room Tip: Get a room on the hill side.