“Would not recommend to anyone”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Diamond Lake
Diamond Lake Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Diamond Lake
Hanover, Massachusetts
“Would not recommend to anyone”
Reviewed July 20, 2005

The reviews posted prior to this one are all basically accurate. Diamond Lake is gorgeous, the boating and lake/swimming activities are numerous, and the proximity to Crater Lake when the Crater Lake Lodge and Mazuma Village are booked solid (as they are most Julys) makes this the place to stop. If you want a bed for the night on the way to Crater Lake and don't have other options, what are you going to do? At least the surroundings are nice. My positive comments stop there.

The hotel was built in the 1920's and I don't think much has changed since then. It is an absolute crime that this place exists on National Forest property...it is an embarrassment, in fact. It is dilapitated and a very poor excuse for a "resort". The room we had was $80 for the night and included one queen bed and one double bed. There was not enough leftover floor space for us to walk around our suitcases without tripping...in other words, the rooms were tiny! There is no daily maid service...they use the excuse of not invading our privacy...I think it was just a way to cut costs. Bad management decision. When we arrived the first night, there was a full-blown spider web in our sink - what does that say about how long it had been since that sink had been cleaned??? Both mornings my husband took cold showers; I had lukewarm at best going before him. My daughter was scalded and then frozen out when she showered in the evening. The shower and toilet area looked like it was about 30 - 40 years old minimum.

There is no air conditioning, which you don't really need because it cools down nicely at night, but the noise in the parking lot surely needs to be drowned out by something. The motel unit is poorly designed for noise issues - every room overlooks the huge parking lot and all the loud vehicles within. It's impossible to sleep with the windows closed if it was warm during the day - the motel heats up too much. The people next door turned their TV on and I could repeat the baseball game play by play - it seemed like there was no attention to insulation in the walls when the place was built.

The cafe food was essentially gross. I ordered the fish and chips for dinner - usually a safe bet since it's fried - but I swear it was Van De Kamps! My kids resorted to cold cereal the second morning because their breakfast the morning before was so bad. My pancakes were passable, but the sausage was huge and disgusting. The "fine dining" restaurant upstairs was extraordinarily overpriced compared to the rest of the surroundings. After the poor food the first night and first morning we weren't willing to risk that much money on a restaurant right upstairs from that yucky cafe. We opted for pizza at the Diamond Lake pizza place 3 miles down the street (There's nothing else there, and we were out of options). It was actually passable and the staff were friendly. Oops, there's another positive comment (I thought I was done with those).

We had reserved our room for three nights, but left early after the second night because we couldn't stand another minute at this bottom-tier alleged resort. I strongly DO NOT recommend the Diamond Lake Resort. Try the two places in Crater Lake first, otherwise, try the Woodsman Country Lodge(I think it's in Crescent or Gilchrist). The extra miles will be worth it.

• Stayed July 2005
9 Thank mindfultraveler12345

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Hebrew first
Gaithersburg, MD
Reviewed June 27, 2005

We stayed one night at this so called "resort" on our way to Crater Lake. Let's point out good things first - the lake and its surroundings are GOURGEOUS and the place offers plenty of activities for kids. This is about it.
The room we stayed in was smelly, we were given 4 bars of soap in the bathroom and no shampoo or anything else. The beds (1 queen and 1 double) were cramped together and there was no air conditioning (granted, you don't really need it there, but anyway).
The restaurant was closed on Tuesday when we stayed, so we had to eat at the cafe. It was terrible - service and food both. Let's put it this way, it is a first time in my life that i was served ham&swiss sandwich with yellow (probably american) cheese.
As previous people noted, this is one of the only handful of places to stay near Crater Lake, so I felt kind of tricked into staying in that dump, thanks goodness only for one night.
FYI I don't think Crater Lake lodge is much better - it definetly is much prettier place with spectacular views, but service there is horrendous. We wanted to eat breakfast at their restaurant. After arriving, we waited about 10 minutes for anybody from the stuff to even talk to us, then we were directed to wait for the hostess, who didn't appear for another 20 minutes and TOTALLY ignored us standing right in front of her stand. After finally getting her attention she REFUSED to put us on the list, saying that it was 10am at the time and the breakfast runs till 11am only and she had other people to sit (mind you, plenty of tables were open in the dining room). After that, I am sure the hotel service is not much better.

• Stayed June 2005
5 Thank natalia20879
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed September 30, 2004

After reading the two rather negative reviews of Diamond Lake Resort, we hesitated to stay there, but the close proximity to Crater Lake (our final destination), made it worth checking out.

We found it to be a rustic, pretty setting. We stayed in the motel and the room was simply appointed, but clean. The food in the cafe, (I had trout, my husband had chicken fried steak) was excellent. We were very pleased and would go there again. There are paddle boat, bike, canoe, motor boat rentals as well as horse rentals across the road. RV camping and tent camping are also available. There are all kinds of board games and books in the lobby, a warm fireplace and a great view of the lake.

The lodge is located about 30 minutes (20 miles) from Crater Lake. Gas is also available.

• Stayed September 2004
7 Thank Gypsyd0c
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 31, 2004

Accommodations being unavailable at the Lodge or Mazama, we booked in to Diamond Lake Resort..The room was dirty, the rug was filthy and the bed was okay. At the two restaurants there, we found the need for an experienced cook. The food was edible, but delivered in a manner quite unknown to me. I have never had a chef's salad that looked like that. No, I won't stay there again..The lake is gorgeous!!! We loved that.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 27, 2004

The room was a single star. The queen bed sagged and squeeked and the shower had not been cleaned. The lake is beautiful but if you are not planning to boat or fish, don't go. The cafe food was excellent and the service very good.
It is one of the few places close to Crater Lake.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
#2 of 2 in Chemult
Dawson House Lodge
Dawson House Lodge
#1 of 2 in Chemult

Been to Diamond Lake Resort? Share your experiences!