“Lake full of large trout, sun, hiking for this historic location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Diamond Lake Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Diamond Lake
Diamond Lake Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Diamond Lake
Oregon City, Oregon
“Lake full of large trout, sun, hiking for this historic location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2014

We have been going to Diamond Lake Resort for about 5 years - for about 2 weeks in June and maybe in the fall. We take our 17 foot boat to fish for nothing but Trout. It isn't a deep lake at all. You do need 2 anchors for your boat - front and back. The wind can get going pretty good and change directions on you during the day. You might have some luck trolling but these trout love power bait. Last year the color and flavor was chartruese and garlic. This year we had great luck with Rainbow Candy and garlic scent. You have to be patient once you achor in a spot you find fish. When I mean patient.... don't move every 1 hour. We picked a spot, baited up, checked our bait every 1/2 hour or so. You need a long leader from your slide weight...4-5 foot long. Leave your tension very loose and then when the fish takes the bait - your'll hear the "tension click." Wait a might til they swallow it since you have your tiny 3 prong hook covered with power bait. The fish might or probably will get stuck in the weeds. All is not lost... hold your pole high and reel while you tease it out of the weeds. I really mean don't pull with all your might ~! Shake your pole while you hole it up high like you were shaking your finger at someone. Last resort you can put a bouy on your front anchor line and go chase the fish to it's spot in the weeds. These fish can be sneaky.... you might think your line is going in and out... maybe I have a fish? Finally, you reel in and you have a surprise mystery fish. We caught 81 trout this last week. You are allowed 2 days catch on your person. We stored our catch in the cabin's freezer so it was like we had taken our catch home and ready for the next day.
The lodge staff is great, always helpful with things you might need or for questions about the area. We usually eat in the cafe and have sandwich and the dinner salad. What a good meal. We love the housekeeping staff - they are hard working, seem to enjoy each others company, tease all the time and are always there for you. The boat dock for this lake has to deal with quite a bit of wind. Be sure to call ahead to hold a rental spot for your boat. Most people bring 20 foot to small boats. Some seem fairly big at 24+. The speed on the lake is 10 mph and no skiing or towing sports toys. Just fishing. We did see the Lake police chase someone down for a speeding ticket last week.
We took a hike / walk every day. The area is beautiful around the lake. You can watch the fishermen in their boats or the woods that you are in. Lots of Eagles snatching fish out of the lake during the day. There is a very nice campground around the whole lake which can get pretty full. There are several boat docks around the lake with full restrooms and great showering facilities.
We enjoy staying in the studio apartments. Full kichen, bath with a shower, view of the great view of the lake and quiet at night. Our bed was soft and in good condition. Bring extra pillows. We have never had a thief problem. We would leave our windows open with the shades down. On our boat we left our poles ect with out problems. The marina staff is great and there is an excellent fishing cleaning station with "very , very cold water.~!
This isn't the Hilton, it's a rustic lodge and cabins in the woods with an excellent lake full of trout~!
We wish they had a fitness center. We like to be active on our trips. A frew treadmills and weight machines would be nice.
If you can stand cold water for just a bit it is very comfortable to swim, play and do some water aerobics in the water by the lodge.
There is plenty of area for the kids to ride their bikes on trails and near the lodge. Just need to be careful of all the fishing man's trucks and boats moving around.
PS... your just 11 miles from Crater Lake.
Signed.... I love to fish almost as much as my husband.~!

Room Tip: Studios are pretty clean, showers are hot, Good price for our 2 weeks. Bring a portable fan in the s...
1 Thank susiedesigns

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Hebrew first
redding
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2014

This is a very run-down resort that needs more than a paint job and is over priced. We had studio 15 with a full kitchen and queen un-comfortable squeaky bed and it all needed a good cleaning and a fitted sheet on the bottom! Outside was dirty also right outside the door. It could of used a hosing. Overall I wouldn't go back there at all and we paid $109. for it and the house across from us was $999. a night! Way too much! And too many people around including the close by campground.

Room Tip: Good luck, everything needs to be stripped and painted and cleaned
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank doggonRedding
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014

This is an old 1950's style lakeside resort for families, boaters, and fishermen. I saw furniture, boats and bicycles, and TV sets I have not seen in over 50 years, and still functional. Seems that in the long run they will have to decide whether to renovate back to the 1950's or renovate to the twenty first century, since some items show their age. In the meantime, enjoy the nostalgia and slow pace. The mosquitoes are something in June, so be prepared with bug spray. Prices are not high, but they are not low either.

Lakewood, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

We walked into the room and saw the saggy bed :( We ate at the restaurant and the food WAS good. We stayed in the lodge area until we HAD to go to bed because the room was SO depressing and there was not other option. the mattress was probably as old as the lodge itself :( Do not stay here stay in Roseburg and drive the 1 1/2 to Crater Lake on the same same. This place needs LOTS of help :(

Room Tip: If you are going to Crater Lake stay in Roseburg and drive to Crater Lake the same day. Unless you...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank judychladek
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014

We stayed here on June 1st, 2014. It sucks, sucks, sucks. I have no idea WHY someone would gave such high recommendation to others - it definitely fooled you. I have worked in the hotel industry all my life, I know the challenge of running a resort far away from everything, but this "resort" indeed impacts me in a very negative way.

Location - Don't trust your GPS. It actually at least over 30 miles from Crater Lake, however, there is not much choice in the area. The lady who checked us in was quite friendly and offered clear direction when I called to make the reservation. She is the only positive impression.

Service - I was told the WIFI only works in the hotel lobby from 6:00am ot 9:00pm, so I came to the lobby with my laptop at 7:00am. The WIFI has strong signal, but the password didn't work. I asked the lady at the desk, she said maybe the code needs to be changed but she can't do anything. I asked her who else may help, she said the guy was off and no option at all, "you don't pay for it" - that's her answer. I was extremely upset when she said this. I said that I can pay for the password and I don't care if I have to pay $10, $20 or even $30, as long as it works. She then shut up, I told her that she doesn't belong to the job because she didn't even bother to try to help or willing to help. Her attitude was absolutely awful.

Room - Awfully dirty, I will try to upload some photos for your reference. There are tons of mosquitoes in this area, so we have to shut the door immediately and isolated ourselves in the room during the night. There was no air-conditioning so do not expect any air circulation because you can't open the door or you will be buried by mosquitoes. The carpet looks like never vacuumed, the old TV belongs to the 50's hanging in the corner, the moldy luggage rack almost made me throw up. There were tons of cigarette butts outside my door - they don't even bother to clean it up!

Breakfast - I expected pricey because it's in the middle of no where, but charging $2.59 for coffee on top of your breakfast, what do you think?

Overall - The lake has no character, however, I didn't come here for the lake anyway. This is not a 'resort', it's a low class motel by the lake.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank SharoninSF
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

I don't usually write reviews but in this case I'll make an exception. The staff was so fantastic and friendly I think they deserve a proper public thank you. We stayed in one of the cabins - rustic for sure (sort of like stepping back in time) but also comfortable and cozy with a roaring fire. Great visit!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank David L
Bothell, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

My husband and I have stayed here in the cabins and the rooms multiple times over the past few years. Always clean and the kitchens have what you need to enjoy a meal. We typically bring our own food. Coffee is not provided so if bring that if you like it in the mornings. The furnishings are modestly old-fashioned but serviceable. The location is fabulous, both for being on Diamond Lake and near Crater Lake. We like the low-key ambience which might not suite folks who expect a lot,. There's no phone or internet in the rooms, for example. But the location can't be beat.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Idleyld Park
Budget Inn Motel
Budget Inn Motel
#2 of 2 in Chemult

Been to Diamond Lake Resort? Share your experiences!