“Avoid this place”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Diamond Lake
Diamond Lake Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Diamond Lake
Reviewed September 18, 2013

The national park service should never recommend this place. That is how we mistakenly arrived here. It took about 60 seconds to decide not to stay here. The room was smelly and very run down with only a single door knob lock. Not very safe for a cabin. A complete and total rip-off. I would plan your day at Crater Lake to end early enough in the day to stay at Klamath Falls or other larger town.

4  Thank Lmmonf
There are newer reviews for Diamond Lake Resort

Reviewed September 15, 2013

We really enjoyed this Lodge. Not modern but good back country charm. The rooms were OK and clean. The bathrooms were great. The staff are friendly. The offer free boat rentals for the lake when you take a motel room so we took that offer. We did not catch any fish but did enjoy the trip around the lake. Walking trails are nice and maintained.

Room Tip: I did not see a fitness center or pool. Get a free boat with a Motel room.
2  Thank Chuck V
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We heard about this place from a neighbor who goes there for fishing trips. Since that is what we were interested in, we decided to try it out. We were able to take advantage of a Diamond Deal so our room in the motel section was only $59 a night. The room was old and dim, but clean (with a notable exception of the carpet - UGH). What stood out was no telephone and no clock! We had signed up for a 7AM start fishing charter so we were really glad that we had taken the precaution of packing a small alarm clock.

Now with that being said.... The scenery is wonderful! The fishing wasn't good, but that's the fault of the fish not for lack of trying on the guide's part. Donovan moved us to 4 different spots to try to find a hot spot and we fished for 5 hours not the 4 that was chartered. There were 7 of us fishing and only 1 person caught fish and he got 3 nice trout so it was just the luck factor. The hot coffee was welcomed and the porta-potty on the pontoon boat got it's share of action before the trip was done.

The restaurant food was okay although the people at the table next to us were disappointed because they kept asking for things on the menu and were told that they had just run out. Since we were just eating bowls of chili, we had no problem and the bowls were huge. The waitress was friendly and attentive considering all of the tables she was covering.

The Front Desk staff seemed to think that you must be a return visitor so it was hard to get information from them. One woman in particular was a total snot! (So sorry that I didn't know what time the fishing charter left or where I could get ice for my room...) They could take lessons from the waitresses.

So if you are looking for a rustic place with lots of nature oriented things to do, this is a good place to go. If you are looking for a Marriott resort, don't bother. The highlights here are the scenery, fishing, hiking, biking, and all things outdoors.

Room Tip: Make sure you take along your own clock!
3  Thank CARGRM
Reviewed September 14, 2013

If you like old, rustic, smelly & overpriced, this is for you. It is the only option in the area so I suggest you plan your trip to Crater Lake early in the day so you can move on down the road. This place needs to be torn down and rebuilt! We sat by the lake till dark so we would not have to spend time in the awful smelling room. It was fairly clean with a decent bed but we had to fix the plywood in the window which was knocked out to make room for the sorry ac unit. Hot dogs were $12 at the RESORT so we went a short piece down the road for a pizza, $25 for a medium which taste like frozen store bought. Staff was friendly, but please skip this GEM.

Room Tip: Leave. Don't stay here.
2  Thank Kay C
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Found this 1940 era resort 5 miles north of Crater Lake National Park. Although it was build in the 40's it was very charming. Stayed in an efficiency unit. Very basic. Very clean. The shower was a small stand up unit. They have lots of activities available, boat rental, kayak, swim beach and bikes. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: If you wanted to do some of your own cooking it has the basics to do so.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MNP0000
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Our family meets every August at Diamond Lake - spending between 2 weeks and the entire month at the resort. This year was year #42, I believe - more years than I want to count actually. We keep coming back year after year for two reasons - this is a beautiful location to rest and relax and the Koch family who own the resort are among the most friendly and hospitable people that you'll find anywhere. Understand, this resort was started in 1922 as a "fishing resort" and has transitioned over the years to welcome a wide variety of people who want to enjoy some of the natural beauty that the area has to offer. If you are expecting the Ritz Carlton, you'll be disappointed. But we request the same cabin each year and it's perfect for our entire family.

You can bicycle around the lake, let your dogs swim, paddleboard, hike one of the nearby mountains, visit Crater Lake National Park (35 minutes away), fish, take a tour of the lake, suntan and enjoy the view, or just get a little R&R. The lodge has WiFi for those who HAVE to check to their email and my cell phone works in the cabin - some carriers work and some don't.

Our family likes the food in the cafe - there's a reasonable selection - the soup is homemade, and the Sunday breakfast buffet is always good. But again, if you're looking for a 5-star restaurant, I suggest you break out your own BBQ. There is also a full lounge upstairs that is open daily - serving your favorite adult beverages.

We look forward to our annual trip to Diamond Lake each year and the only bad part is the day we have to leave. I wish we could visit more often.

Room Tip: We like the lake front cabins because of the views.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Tom M
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Califdan said it all. We decided to visit Crater Lake after a wedding at Hood River, Oregon. Since this was last minute and at the end of the Labor Day weekend, there were no rooms to be had at Crater Lake. Diamond Lake was the closest, so we chose their "resort". Mind you, there are not many options in the area so we were thrilled to find that they had a couple of rooms available. Upon arrival, you are greeted with a beautiful vista of the lake. When we walked into the reservation office which is in the lobby of the lodge, you noticed the smell of "old" immediately. The check-in process is a throwback to the 50's where everything is handwritten. The friendly staff hand you keys from the key cubby behind the counter. Since our room wasn't quite ready yet, we decided to take a walk along their bike path which circles the lake. That is when we noticed the algae buildup in the water. We saw people swimming with their children but, I, personally would not allow my children to swim here.

The room (A building - second floor) was disappointing. The first thing I encountered when I opened the door was a centipede. The walls are plywood from some bygone era. The artwork consisted of 4 postcard sized pictures of fishing nailed to the wall. There were two queen beds according to the description, but I swear that one bed was really a full. The sheets were clean, but I won't vouch for the bedspread or blanket. The cheap plastic blinds had broken cords. The air conditioned is a window version where plywood was used to cover the balance of the hole. The bathroom had a relatively new sink and recently tiled shower which worked just fine. There is no soap dish or shelf to place your toiletries in the shower which forces one to put everything on the floor. The towels are adequate but extremely rough. You get an exfoliation by the time you have dried off. There was a coffee pot in the room but I didn't use it. There was a place to hang your clothes and you are provided four wire hangers. I think the most irritating thing is the thinness of the walls. We were subjected to a lengthy dialogue about relationship issues from our neighbor. I used ear plugs so that I could block out the conversation even though the voice still came through.

We had dinner on the patio. I ordered a hamburger and my husband ordered the fish and chips. Both were pretty good. It would have been relaxing if the compressor did not go on. It is housed in a closet off to one side of the deck. Why it is there and why it needed to go on in the middle of a sunny, warm, evening is beyond me.

Breakfast in the cafe was good. Pancakes, eggs, and bacon were all fixed just fine. What is really wierd is that you pay for your meal back at the registration desk. Workflow efficiency is not this operation's motto.

If you are looking for an inexpensive place to stay and don't care about the drawbacks, this is the place for you. It definitely draws fishermen and hunters. I prefer a little better quality is accommodations so I won't be coming back here.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
#1 of 2 in Chemult
Dawson House Lodge
Dawson House Lodge
#2 of 2 in Chemult

Been to Diamond Lake Resort? Share your experiences!