“Great Location reasonable rates”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Diamond Lake
Diamond Lake Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Diamond Lake
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Great Location reasonable rates”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Found this 1940 era resort 5 miles north of Crater Lake National Park. Although it was build in the 40's it was very charming. Stayed in an efficiency unit. Very basic. Very clean. The shower was a small stand up unit. They have lots of activities available, boat rental, kayak, swim beach and bikes. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: If you wanted to do some of your own cooking it has the basics to do so.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MNP0000

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Hebrew first
San Clemente
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Our family meets every August at Diamond Lake - spending between 2 weeks and the entire month at the resort. This year was year #42, I believe - more years than I want to count actually. We keep coming back year after year for two reasons - this is a beautiful location to rest and relax and the Koch family who own the resort are among the most friendly and hospitable people that you'll find anywhere. Understand, this resort was started in 1922 as a "fishing resort" and has transitioned over the years to welcome a wide variety of people who want to enjoy some of the natural beauty that the area has to offer. If you are expecting the Ritz Carlton, you'll be disappointed. But we request the same cabin each year and it's perfect for our entire family.

You can bicycle around the lake, let your dogs swim, paddleboard, hike one of the nearby mountains, visit Crater Lake National Park (35 minutes away), fish, take a tour of the lake, suntan and enjoy the view, or just get a little R&R. The lodge has WiFi for those who HAVE to check to their email and my cell phone works in the cabin - some carriers work and some don't.

Our family likes the food in the cafe - there's a reasonable selection - the soup is homemade, and the Sunday breakfast buffet is always good. But again, if you're looking for a 5-star restaurant, I suggest you break out your own BBQ. There is also a full lounge upstairs that is open daily - serving your favorite adult beverages.

We look forward to our annual trip to Diamond Lake each year and the only bad part is the day we have to leave. I wish we could visit more often.

Room Tip: We like the lake front cabins because of the views.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Tom M
Auburn, California
Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

Califdan said it all. We decided to visit Crater Lake after a wedding at Hood River, Oregon. Since this was last minute and at the end of the Labor Day weekend, there were no rooms to be had at Crater Lake. Diamond Lake was the closest, so we chose their "resort". Mind you, there are not many options in the area so we were thrilled to find that they had a couple of rooms available. Upon arrival, you are greeted with a beautiful vista of the lake. When we walked into the reservation office which is in the lobby of the lodge, you noticed the smell of "old" immediately. The check-in process is a throwback to the 50's where everything is handwritten. The friendly staff hand you keys from the key cubby behind the counter. Since our room wasn't quite ready yet, we decided to take a walk along their bike path which circles the lake. That is when we noticed the algae buildup in the water. We saw people swimming with their children but, I, personally would not allow my children to swim here.

The room (A building - second floor) was disappointing. The first thing I encountered when I opened the door was a centipede. The walls are plywood from some bygone era. The artwork consisted of 4 postcard sized pictures of fishing nailed to the wall. There were two queen beds according to the description, but I swear that one bed was really a full. The sheets were clean, but I won't vouch for the bedspread or blanket. The cheap plastic blinds had broken cords. The air conditioned is a window version where plywood was used to cover the balance of the hole. The bathroom had a relatively new sink and recently tiled shower which worked just fine. There is no soap dish or shelf to place your toiletries in the shower which forces one to put everything on the floor. The towels are adequate but extremely rough. You get an exfoliation by the time you have dried off. There was a coffee pot in the room but I didn't use it. There was a place to hang your clothes and you are provided four wire hangers. I think the most irritating thing is the thinness of the walls. We were subjected to a lengthy dialogue about relationship issues from our neighbor. I used ear plugs so that I could block out the conversation even though the voice still came through.

We had dinner on the patio. I ordered a hamburger and my husband ordered the fish and chips. Both were pretty good. It would have been relaxing if the compressor did not go on. It is housed in a closet off to one side of the deck. Why it is there and why it needed to go on in the middle of a sunny, warm, evening is beyond me.

Breakfast in the cafe was good. Pancakes, eggs, and bacon were all fixed just fine. What is really wierd is that you pay for your meal back at the registration desk. Workflow efficiency is not this operation's motto.

If you are looking for an inexpensive place to stay and don't care about the drawbacks, this is the place for you. It definitely draws fishermen and hunters. I prefer a little better quality is accommodations so I won't be coming back here.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank AuburnMary
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed one night in one of the "vintage" cabins (#35). We were in Diamond Lake to run a relay starting the following and needed a place for 7 people to sleep. The cabin itself was really run down on the outside (needed a paint job) and the inside was livable, if odd! Each bedroom had a bathroom but they were slanted, falling into the hillside. The cabin comfortable sleeps 4 (1 queen and 2 twins); there is a fold out bed in the living room that could sleep 2 more. We managed to fit 7 in sleeping bags!

As mentioned in previous reviews, the staff are courteous and try to be helpful. There is no internet and often no cell service (you can go up the road to that gas station to get service). My reservation confirmation and receipt were all done on paper. The price of the cabin ($209/night in the summer) is not something I'd pay again for vacation purposes without additional amenities.

The lake itself is stunning and has good walking/biking paths around it; I ran 8 of the 11 miles as part of my first leg for the relay race! Most of the path is paved or well groomed; take the time to walk it or rent bikes from the resort!

Seems to be a good option if can't stay closer to Crater Lake and is in a beautiful location with lots to offer outdoors!

Note: The Cascade Relay Race starts here annually around the first weekend of August; you may want to check the dates of the race before booking as the race started just outside the main lodge at 6 am; as with any race start, this meant loud music and constant announcements. that could be heard throughout the area (and many cabins/lodgings are near the lake or lakeside).

Room Tip: Cabin #35 is the most run down (exterior) and closest to the main lodge; may want to request one of...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Salterella26
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 29, 2013

If there is any possible way for you to, avoid Diamond Lake Resort. Crator Lake Lodge is the nice hotel. When I went to Crater Lake my father planned for us to stay at Crater Lake Lodge but it was to busy. Everything is really old and warn down in the hotel. The rooms are really old and the wood is out of date. My room's TV didn't always work. They don't have any TV channel lists and nobody comes to clean your rooms, or at least nobody cleaned mine. Its views look out onto a parking lot. The lobby and places where they have food smell rusty. They have no internet access. Diamond Lake itself is not so interesting.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank natguy10
Palo Alto, California
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,141 helpful votes
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed at the Diamond Lake resort in mid August during our visit to Crater Lake National Park. Other than camping, Carter Lake has a hotel and cabins inside the park. The hotel in the park is waaay out of our price range and the cabins are usually all booked up to a year in advance. So we went looking for lodging outside, but nearby, the park. There aren't that many to choose from that are close to the park but we found and selected the Diamond Lake Resort.

This resort sits on Diamond lake which is a pretty good size. It's large enough to take speed boats as well as smaller outboard fishing boats. I don't know if water skiing is allowed but the lake is certainly large enough to support it. The Diamond Lake Resort is right on the lake shore with it's own marina where you can moor your own boat (I assume for a fee) and where you can rent a variety of water craft. The resort pre-dated the National Forest Service taking over all the land in the area and was grandfathered in so that it could remain in operation.

The main focus of the establishment is as a year round vacation resort with people staying for a week or so to fish or snowmobile or just explore and just relax. To accommodate these folks it has many family cabins, a few of which are right on the lake. In addition it also has a couple of two story "motel" style buildings that are more appropriate for shorter stays although I suspect some people stay longer in these units as well.

According to their web site it was established in the 1920's. The main building has the check-in desk, lobby overlooking the lake, a café, a restaurant and a sports bar all of which are pretty much unchanged from the 1950's or earlier. When we checked in, I was intrigued that they had our reservation hand written in very large, old school, paper guest register book. This thing must have been two feet tall and equally wide and is where they log in reservations and guests by hand.

The café offers "diner" type of items such as sandwiches and burgers but seems to come into its own for breakfast when it opens close to dawn (for the fishermen). The restaurant is a little bit up the scale ambiance wise from the diner and has both an indoor dining room and a large outdoor patio overlooking the lake I'm not clear if the menu's are different between the restaurant room and the café or not. We didn't go upstairs to the sports bar, but apparently they have some food items up there as well.

The room was a mixed bag. The bathroom seems to be very new with new plumbing fixtures and a great shower. However other parts of the room were in need of some maintenance. The bed was average and there were no extra pillows. The A/C unit is a window mounted type like you'd buy at Home Depot. Our room had a double bed as well as a pull out couch/futon sort of thing. It also had a smallish table with the TV (old tube type) mounted over it on a swivel arm. All in all somewhat funky in a throw back sort of way.

The only internet is WiFi in the lobby and is somewhat sketchy at best. Sometimes you can connect and sometimes you can't. And, even when you can connect, we're talking dial up modem type speeds. Be thankful if you can download your email and forget streaming anything or even visiting any web pages that have lots of graphics.

If you're just looking for a place to sleep during your visit to Crater Lake, and perhaps a meal or two then this is a good bet. If you're looking for a relaxing weekend retreat with the family I think this is also a good choice.

In summary, it's in a lovely setting, right on a pristine lake with all sorts of water activities in the summer and winter activities in the winter, and the vibe is very much like you'd see in old Cary Grant or James Stewart movies from the 1950's.

If you found this information useful in your decision making process, you gleaned information you may not otherwise have discovered, or you just enjoyed reading it and appreciate the time I put into writing it, please give me a "helpful" vote.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
12 Thank Califdan69
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed August 22, 2013

The resort is a 15 minute drive to the entrance of Crater Lake National Park. As many have said, Diamond Lake Resort is old but the room is clean. The mattress is old; even though it has a fresh pillow case, you can still smell whoever used it; and the bathroom is clean but floors creak. When I arrived inside the room, it was hot. I turned on the aircon to cool the room and left the room to go to the lake. After 30 to 45 minutes, I returned to my room and was disappointed that the room was still hot. I wish the resort will provide a small fridge and microwave for motel rooms. Also, I felt embarrassed and as if I was lying to the front desk clerk when I told her that the cleaning staff did not replenish the coffee in my room. She gave me one but she put a tag in my room. My impression is the resort is being stingy with coffee to their guest.

My overall stay with this resort is not that good because of how the front desk clerk treated me with the coffee, the aircon is not working well and the smell left by the guest on the pillows.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
#2 of 2 in Chemult
Shelter Cove Resort & Marina
Shelter Cove Resort & Marina
#1 of 3 in Crescent Lake

Been to Diamond Lake Resort? Share your experiences!