“Beautiful State Park!”

Ranked #2 of 4 things to do in Detroit
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in Willamette Valley, Detroit Lake State Park is a scenic fishing and camping area.
Salem, Oregon
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Beautiful State Park!”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I have camped here for a number of years and it is a great place to camp with friends and family. Yes it is a State Park and the campsites are next to each other, but that's what comes with having the security of being in a patrolled State Park. The lake front sites are right on the water and most have easy access to the lake.The ones thing I have always enjoyed at this park is the interpretive and junior Ranger program, they always have fun and interesting things for kids and families to do. If you want total peace and quiet then up river and hike in a few miles!
This is a awesome Lake and Campground!

Visited July 2012
1 Thank RodM07

Bend, Oregon
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Great ski lake”
Reviewed September 14, 2012

We come here every year and have never been disapointed. We do try, however, to stay off the lake during the major summer holidays, just way too many people. Nice place to spend 7 - 10 days!

Visited June 2012
Lyons, OR
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“No fun in the Park”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

If you like camping shoulder to shoulder with other people, then this is the park for you. They stack you in there like cord wood. I guess if you were looking for a place for the kids to run wild and ride bikes in the middle of the roads with no concern for vehicles, this would be right up your alley. After dark one of the many park rangers came by our camp site and did not like the way the 2 vehicles were parked, had to have 3 tires on the small strip of pavement, I politely asked him what he would like me to do since we were allowed 2 vehicles in the spot, he could not explain what he wanted but knew I had to move the vehicles?? I was puzzled to say the least as I asked him again how he would like me to park the vehicles to comply with park rules, again he could not explain what he wanted me to do so I moved them into a configuration that put one vehicle within inches of the road and he thought that would be fine. The way we had them parked side by side worked really well and kept them well off the roadway. In the morning I looked around and found many vehicles that did not have 3 tires on the pavement. Maybe in the off season this park would be OK, but not during the peak season.

Visited September 2012
5 Thank northsantiam
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Too busy and close to main freeway”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I was referred to this campground by others and had looked forward to camping here all summer. The lake was beautiful but the campground was not our style. It was well maintained and had good amenities. But- the sites are very small and your are basically on top of your neighbors. I might have been able to ignore that had the campground not been next to a busy highway. All not long we heard large semi trucks going past. My family prefers nature and quiet when we camp. Not our kind of place.

2 Thank Anniejohns
Vancouver, Canada
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great for Family Camping”
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I stumbled upon a booking here on Reserver America purely by chance. I was creating a roadtrip looping through Oregon and the swimming and boating opportunities caught my eye. What a gem! We were able to get a lakeside spot and it was like having our own personal oasis. We had a generous tent area for our party of 3 (could have fit at least 2 more tents) and the park was nice and quiet afer 10pm, perfect for our young traveller and our tired selves. We rented a boat for a few hours from a local marina and spent some quality time checking out the coves and enjoying the thrill of bouncing across the lake. The beach was more rocky than expected, you'll want to make sure you are wearing sandals to hang out there, or at least to wear up until you enter the water for swimming. Water temperature was comfortable to cool off in the summer heat. We found our fellow parkgoers here to be a friendly bunch, and many of our neighbours had been annual visitors for more than a decade! Bathrooms and showers were clean and appeared well maintained, and park rangers were friendly. There is a well appointed playground and even a basketball hoop for visitors enjoyment. The nearby little town of Detroit had all the basics for last minutes necessities. We are looking forward to going back again this year, and to having it be one of our staple campgrounds for years to come.

Visited August 2011