“Harmony and Tranquility”

Breitenbush Hot Springs
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Detroit
More attraction details
Owner description: Relax body and mind in hot tubs, pools and saunas at this hot springs resort in a lovely mountain, forest and river setting.
Reviewed September 2, 2013

This is not a pretentious spa, but rather a place of communal harmony. Children play on the lawn, you bus your own dishes, bring your own linens, or in my case, a tent. The food is vegetarian and absolutely delicious. If you're looking for pampering, you essentially pamper yourself by taking hikes, walking the labyrinth, or soaking in the various pools. Massages are available, and they run several programs such as yoga, drum circles, and hikes.

Depending on the type of experience you want, you have a choice of lodging. I wanted a silent retreat, so I brought my own tent and stayed in the camp area where cars are not allowed. They have giant carts for you to carry your items, though, which is a nice touch. You have your choice of cabins, staying in the lodge, or dormitories. Each has its own charm.

Now, a couple of essentials: You will need a light source, but don't bring one of those headlamps. They are way too bright and blind people in the pools because they are aimed down. Try to find something less bright or throw a filter over a flashlight. Bring at least two towels, just in case the first one doesn't dry in time. You will need sandals and loose clothing and a robe so that you can easily move from one pool to another. There's hiking, and yoga, so if you're interested in those, bring the appropriate clothing. Many people brought a french press since there is no coffee, and you do have the ability to put items in the refrigerator if you want creamer.

You will have the ability to spend a lot of time in your own thoughts or bonding with your traveling partner since there are no electronic distractions. There is no cell coverage and no wifi, so enjoy the chance to reconnect. Your time here will depend on what you make of it.

12  Thank cyanhead

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Beautiful spa in the woods. Cabins are basic but clean and comfortable. Started each day in the spring heated sauna, then went to the lodge for delicious breakfast. Hiked along the river, read and napped in the library, lounged in most of the pools.... So many ways to relax. Wondered what the nudity would be like - a new experience for me - and found it easy and natural.

5  Thank Lisbeth A
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We definitely did not know what to expect. My husband brought my here as a surprise outing and we were a little dissappointed. It is pretty rural and has camping as well as older lodging.

3  Thank travelswithpet1
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Liked the different temperatures of pools. Wish there were more food options. Lots of other activities to do when you're tired of the pools like yoga, hiking, classes, concerts.

1  Thank Angela F
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I spent a night there recently and had a really great time on my "personal retreat". It has beautiful pools that are cleaned frequently, a nice river nearby, and great vegetarian food. However, I must say it took me a while to settle down once I got there; as a city girl and atheist, I find a lot of new-age ideology a bit trying in the logic department, so overhearing people's conversations was raising my hackles a bit. But I think the groovy hippie vibe eventually won me over because I began smiling a lot and feeling open-hearted and refreshed. The tubs are clothing optional, and I would say about 85% of people soaked in the buff, so if you're uptight about nudity, go somewhere else. The campsite that I was given wasn't the most private, but there are some others nestled in the woods that are excellent. For 63 bucks, a campsite, three tasty meals, and unlimited access to great hot springs, it was a pretty good deal. Oh yeah, plus an excellent yoga class and a meteor shower. Yeah, that's right. Can't get that in the city.

10  Thank mandypdx