We booked this motel because my BF had stayed there as a child. After reading the reviews here, I was a bit antsy. But the price was very tempting. Cheapest thing I could find in the area.
I booked a King Fireplace Whirlpool room in the newest building, which is supposed to be adults only. We were disappointed that after booking way ahead online, we were given a downstairs room. We should have called and specified a top floor room. Overall, we were VERY PLEASED with our room, and ordinarily the ground floor room wouldn't have been a problem, but one night the people above us CLEARLY had several children in their room. There was lots of little feet running back and forth for a few hours. They quieted down after 9 pm, however, and it wasn't a problem any other night. The gas fireplace is great. The big screen LCD TV was AWESOME. The whirlpool tub is in the bathroom, not a hot tub with a view of the ocean, but what the heck. The view CANNOT BE EQUALLED, even at all the other pricey resorts. The furniture and fixtures were clearly newer and very comfortable. The shower head, however.... Clogged. Got barely a trickle out of it. Had a tough time showering. Found this true up and down the coast, however, at every place we've ever stayed. I'm so tempted to just bring my own shower head with me when I travel. Also, there was some un-repaired water damage to the ceiling of the shower, and I heard numerous odd drips on our bedroom ceiling throughout the night, making me think they have a big leak problem that needs to be addressed.
The restaurant is mediocre. Don't go there at night expecting a view - the windows turn into mirrors after dark. Go early and enjoy the sunset. Recommend eating in the Bar, it's much quieter and nicer. For a "resort" you'd expect the restaurant to tone it up a bit, but the loud "Oldies rock" blaring in the restaurant was really a turn off. The Bar at least turns the music off and we weren't bothered by the low-level on the football games on TV. And it's carpeted. Which made a big difference. The restaurant is really just a Denny's experience, if that. The steamers are the best we've ever had anywhere, but everything else we ate was mediocre. BF liked his halibut, but I wasn't impressed.
WiFi worked smoothly and was fast. Pool was okay, as was the hot tub and sauna. We had it to ourselves on a blustery New Year's Eve. Not posh, but nothing to complain about. For the price it was EXCELLENT! There is a beach access stairway, and we recommend going down for beachcombing. Just sitting on our deck watching the Surf was a great experience for us. We really enjoy the winter storms and this is a great place to just enjoy the storms in a cozy room.
If you go, demand a top-floor King Bed room in the adults-only building, and don't spring for the kitchen unless you're staying a week. The microwave/fridge was perfectly adequate for us for three days. The motel is right off 101, but you can't hear the road noise at all - just the pounding surf. For the price, it's a real steal. Just be sure you CALL and don't just book online, and demand the room you want.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Surfrider Resort is nestled atop a bluff overlooking Fogarty Creek and the Pacific Ocean, located just two miles north of Depoe Bay, between Lincoln City and Newport. While at the Surfrider, visit Depoe Bay, the world's "Smallest Harbor" and famous for whale watching. Reserve a trip for deep sea fishing, or visit Newport for the outstanding Oregon Coast Aquarium, 3 miles north for golfing, or simply take in the sights at the Surfrider where whales play, eagles soar, seals nap, and the sun sets over the ocean. We have banquet rooms that can hold up to 100 people. Weddings, birthdays and special events. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Choice Hotels, Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity and Hotels.com so you can book your Clarion Inn Surfrider Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Surfrider Resort Depoe Bay
- Surfrider Hotel Depoe Bay