“Great location. Nice room with a gas fireplace.”

Clarion Inn Surfrider Resort
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Depoe Bay
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great location. Nice room with a gas fireplace.”
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

It is now owned by Clarion. Right on the beach. Sea lions sunbathe on the rocks behind the hotel. Great views. The gas fireplace was nice since it was cold & rainy. The staff was very nice. The restaurant was great for lunch. You get a 10% discount if you show your room key. Overall it was a great location, a nice, not real luxurious, room with a frig & micro wave. A large jaquzzi tub in the bathroom. They have an enclosed outdoor pool but you have to walk outside to get there.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Our family loves this place. We have been coming to this place for the past twenty years plus; stayed here on our honeymoon and bring our whole family here every time we stay on the Oregon Coast - so many treasured memories. The resort is rustic but very clean. A family feeling not like the other resorts on the Oregon Coast where they are more interested in the bottom line than the feel of the costal experience. With all the various room accommodations, we always have the perfect conditions for whatever situation we need during our stay. The prices are more than reasonable. The staff is professional and friendly. The restaurant is excellent with great service, wonderful staff and great fresh-prepared local ingredients; seafood dishes are amazing. In addition, since it is located away from the many commercial resorts, it is as if it has private beach access. We have seen Bald Eagles, sea lions, starfish, whales; collected several agates and shells, and even saw a blue crab on the beach. We have spent many memorable times on the beach watching beautiful sunsets roasting marshmallows over a fire on the sandy beach directly below the resort. There is a State park just south of the resort, but we have never felt over-crowed on the beach. Location is perfect - just north of Depot Bay, between Lincoln City and Newport - only minutes away from the most wonderful places to visit on the Oregon Coast. This is the only place we will stay in this area.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Carrollton, Texas
Reviewed June 13, 2013

This is a hard review to do. The location is 5 stars. The views from the rooms are stunning views of the Pacific -- I really recommend a second floor room for this. There is great access to the beach from the hotel property down some admittedly steep stairs. The rooms are of a good size and are clean and well maintained. The staff was helpful and efficient. The pool is nice the hot tub might seat two people but barely. The problem is that while everything in the rooms is well maintained it is also very old and out of date. I would not be shocked to find out this was an old 1970s apartment building converted to a hotel based on decor and floor plans. The cabinets, doors, carpets and built in night stands have that sort of feel. The sofa bed in our suite is also nightmarish. Our 10 year old roughed it out but. A bigger child or an adult would be miserable. The hotel is being changed over to a Clarion Property - the folks who own comfort inn and Econo lodges which doesn't speak well for future improvement- as we speak ( the sign changed the second day we were here from Surfrider to Clairion).

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed June 8, 2013

The accommodations get 4 stars....I loved the king-sized bed, fabulous view from our room in the adult building (I can't even tell you how many times I giggled over that nomenclature) but being child-free it was great to have no kids around us. (sleep=important!) Sarah at the check in desk was so helpful!!!!
Now, I am going to try to write a restaurant review...... let's just say not a 4 star experience.
Argh! I cannot write a separate review. so. the star rating goes down to 2 stars. I had the surf and turf, sent the over-well done steak back only to receive a tough "top sirloin" replacement from hell. I hesitated to say anything but due to the price of the dinner, I did. I was told "the chef must be in a bad mood"...... and that was that. wow.... the veggies were blah, the baked potato was fine. My husband's chicken fettuccine was more like a soup. He rarely complains about food, and he was sad.
the quality does NOT MEET THE PRICING.
Breakfast was OK...seafood omelet rocks---but both those plates were lukewarm.
Dinner the previous night was OK but again my husband's salmon was lukewarm. My dungeness fettuccine was fine, soupy but tasted OK.
Our servers all three meals were really nice, that's not the concern. The views are STELLAR---can't be beat.
but don't don't don't waste your money on the top sirloin and seafood plate. and don't bother airing your concerns, they fall on deaf ears and to me that means that these wonderful servers do not have the support of the management and owners.
FOUR STARS for the Accommodations
1/2 Star for the food,
sadly, that averages out to a total of two stars, doing math my way.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
post falls idaho
Reviewed May 27, 2013

we thought the location was great however for $175.00 a night I would have like a little more updating rather than 1970 era The location is right on the coast line and the view is great ... Our room had a gas fireplace which added character Also keep room warm.... clean
We were on the lower level and could hear upstairs neighbors

Room Tip: ask for upper level lower level is noisy needs soundproofing
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I can't fault the great views at Surfrider. Perched on the cliffs above the ocean, I felt like I was on a ship at sea. That's the #1 reason to select Surfrider.

Pros:

*Insanely* good breakfast at the restaurant - razor clams with pancakes!
The aforementioned views.
Access to a great little beach.
Freakin' orcas jumping right out of the water!
Nice bar, also with the same amazing views.
Very nice staff.

Cons:

Well, the rooms. The whole resort has seen its day, and the rooms aren't very great quality. But they're clean, and you get satellite TV and a fireplace ... and a deck.

Honestly, if the rooms were upgraded, I'd give this a much better review. I struggled with the star rating - it deserves four stars for all of the amenities in the Pro category, but the rooms pull the rating down. They're not bad, just really outdated. But most people would enjoy the location and the great food (amazing breakfast). The room prices are about average for that area.

I suspect that this resort will get replaced with a higher end hotel sometime in the next few years. This is the best prime real estate around. So if you prefer a more homey experience, stay there now. And go have the breakfast. I miss it already.

Room Tip: I think that all of the rooms have a view to the ocean, but if you want a deck, ask for an upper roo...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Chappsnet
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I really want to like Surfrider Resort, but can't quite get past several things. First, the location is SPECTACULAR! The views can't be beat. Although it is right off the highway, the property is quiet and it is well kept. The rooms are dated, which I am completely willing to overlook and have overlooked for several stays. However, this last stay might have been my last stay. There was new carpeting in the rooms, very nice. However, it was not installed well and there was a gap between the bathroom tile and carpet, which was dirty. The shower walls have black spots on them. I don't know if it is mold or what and quite frankly I didn't try to figure it out. The bedding has been updated, which was nice, but the four pillows on the bed were horrible! They were very lumpy and uncomfortable. My fault. I usually bring my own pillow and forgot. The chairs in the room seemed dirty. Again, didn't want to think about that too much. The final straw was when I was doing my hair in the morning and was bent over drying it and happened to glance at the door knob on the outside of the bathroom door. It had some sticky something on it with hair and dust all over it. It was all I could do to not take a picture to post on Tripadvisor. After seeing that, I am not sure I will be able to go back. I am willing to overlook a dated room if it is clean and well kept because the view is awesome. However, for the price I was charged, the view alone is not enough to justify staying in one of their rooms. Oh yeah, I got to listen to the people above me with kids running all around all evening and again in the morning.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Elizabeth Street Inn
Elizabeth Street Inn
#4 of 24 in Newport
Best Western Agate Beach Inn

Been to Clarion Inn Surfrider Resort? Share your experiences!