“Beautiful Room & the Most Welcome Staff! (Beni)”
Review of Depoe Bay Inn

Depoe Bay Inn
Ranked #5 of 7 Depoe Bay B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 12, 2008

My husband went out of town for the weekend, so I packed up our 7 month old last minute and stayed overnight on a Saturday. Beni was so nice on the phone, telling me that her husband would be cooking me hot breakfast the next morning, the room had a jacuzzi tub and fireplace. It was perfect! I thought it was a hotel, but it was a bed and breakfast with all of the amenities! She gave ME a thank you card (!) with a message for a free night with a 2 night stay! My husband and I are going back together for a weekend - it seemed like it would be a very romantic place!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank portlandcitygirl

Reviewed September 24, 2008

This little gem of a Bed and Breakfast in Depoe Bay, Oregon was a total surprise to us. The property used to be called Gracie's Landing. New owners came on board in January 2008, did a total remodel and opened for business in June of 2008. The rooms all face the "world's smallest harbor" with the bridge directly in front of you. Each of the rooms has a small lanai with seating and side table. After spending 3 days touring the wine country in the Willamette Valley, sitting in the sunshine with one of our bottles of wine was a great way to end a vacation. Our room was very comfortable and large with a king bed and luxurious linens to complement. The bed was so comfortable and because I was planning to replace my mattress, I took a look at the brand name so that I could get the same brand! The property is off the the main drag (Hiway 101) and was very quiet, so much so that we left the slider ajar (on 2nd floor) and fell asleep to the calming sounds of waves lapping against the hulls of the boats in the marina. Beni and Bob (innkeepers) added touches to ensure our stay was top drawer (hint - look on the desk). A quality pair of binoculars was available for our use, as well. Breakfast in the morning was quiet and serene with soothing background music complete with table linens and quality china. Bob made and served Eggs Benedict (perfectly poached) with fresh fruit plus coffee and juice. Bob told us about the addition of dinner on Friday and Saturday - coming in the fall. We will have to plan a weekend getaway to check out Bob's dinners.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank coyvashon
Reviewed September 18, 2008

You do not get a complementary decanter of Sherry at a motel! It's always the little things that make a relaxing stay that much more enjoyable. Each room had a pair of binoculars (as if the harbor wasn't close enough). The Harbor Lights Inn is very pet friendly,yet you would never know pets are allowed in the room. Even in the room that offers a Jacuzzi pets are allowed. They left a basket of towels and a jar of "Milk Bones" for our dog. It's quiet, the food wonderful and the owners are very approachable. With a veiw of the harbor that is unmatched! Fireplace,sherry, deck with seating (view), and wonderful bedding. We can not wait to return!

Stayed: September 2008
2  Thank ducfn
Reviewed September 17, 2007

My husband and I recently (September 07) stayed the night at Harbor Lights for a weekend getaway. It was our first time trying a bed and breakfast so perhaps my expectations were too high.

It is a good value I suppose but you could have gotten the same feel with probably a nicer room at a hotel for less. The decorating in the dining room and sitting area was very nice, but I was definately disappointed with our room. There was mildew all around the tub, no paint color with terrible outdated motel furniture. The picture you see on the site with the nice red curtains around the jacuzzi tub... yeah not in our room, it had a nasty old bath curtain and mildew. While the tub did work fine, the bathroom only looked good once the lights were off. There was not a ounce of coziness or romance in our room that we did not have to create ourselves. I thought that's why people went to B&B's for that warmth that's lacking in hotels.

The continental breakfast was decent, I like yogurt and danish, so that was fine I guess...

Honostly the owner creeped me out a little. I don't think he meant to, he didn't do or say anything inappropriate, but he just gave me the heebee jeebies for whatever reason.

Overall it wasn't a BAD experience but it had the potential to be a MUCH BETTER experience, and I would probably not return there again any time soon without explo

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 20, 2007

My wife and I just spent five nights at Harbor Lights, a wonderful bed and breakfast inn that looks out onto Depoe Bay ("the smallest harbor in the world") and its handsome bridge. I think I could have thrown a baseball into the water from our balcony. It's a perfect location.

The inn is a superb value. It is very comfortable but not luxurious. It offers free Wi-Fi and each room has a combination TV-VCR-DVD player (the inn's library has a good selection of tapes and DVDs); some rooms have fireplaces and jacuzzis. The inn has a cozy bar and a bright, pleasant dining room, both of which look out onto the harbor.

The buffet breakfasts are excellent, and sometimes include pastries made by Stefan, the manager. He and Pat , the owner, also serve four-course, prix-fixe dinners on Friday and Saturday nights. Pat is an outstanding chef, specializing in seafood; his fish chowder is the best I've had anywhere. Pat's skills are such that many of the local fishermen dine at Harbor Lights. (I overheard them in the dining room raving about the fish chowder.)

A special bonus is the incredible art-deco paintings (similar to Erte) that adorn the inn: Stefan is a renowned art-deco painter and set-designer.

Depoe Bay is the perfect place from which to explore the Central Oregon coast. It's known for whale watching -- including a pod that is in residence year-round -- and is about midway between Lincoln City to the north and Newport to the south. It's by far the most charming town in the area, and Harbor Lights is a great place to stay there

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank FoodWallah
Reviewed September 19, 2006

This place is a real gem. The place is modern and so are the rooms and well appointed as well. You don't get a good idea of the rooms from their website since the pictures are too small, but they are modern clean and the owner has a flair for interior decorating. Stephan (sp?) was everywhere at once and was helpful in dining recommendations, etc. Nice continental breakfast as well. Will definately stay at again.

Stayed: August 2006
2  Thank woodspinner
Reviewed July 30, 2006

This is the best in Depoe Bay. The new owner has really gone all out. The bar has just opened in the last two weeks and when I arrived tired and hungry I was offered a bar menu and had a great plate of piping hot veggie lasagna and caesar salad and a drink. The place has a european, artistic, off-the-beaten-path feel about it, looking over the working harbor of Depoe Bay with a view of the boats and channel. The rooms are really rather luxurious along the lines of Marriott top of the line or the Elizabeth Inn. Breakfast was hot scrambled eggs, potatoes o'brien, lots of breads and sweet things and a delicious coffee cake, OJ, coffee etc. I couldn't even see it all. Met several wonderful fellow travellers from New York and Boise, ID. Hospitality and care are really obvious throughout. Beds are great, pillows wonderful. Views really different and fun. Activity to see as you relax on the deck. Anything I have needed they have accomodated above and beyond the average expectations. A really great place to stay to be pampered. HIghly recommended. Don't overlook this spot - it's unique in an area full of chains and jaded hotel workers. A gem!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled solo
Clarion Inn Surfrider Resort
Inn at Arch Rock
Inn at Arch Rock
#3 of 7 in Depoe Bay

Been to Depoe Bay Inn? Share your experiences!