All reviews cuckoo's nest hot tub channel watch pastries whale watching coast guard captain's quarters oregon coast salt air breakfast room bridge suite cottage cheese boiled eggs admiral suite no elevator stayed here for two nights top floor
Selected filters
Reviewed September 9, 2019

This place is just wonderful. After check in you are escorted to your room and shown what you are getting. From the time you walk into the room you will see whales with just a stare out into the ocean. The bed is great comfortable and you can lay in bed and just watch the ocean. In the morning you can look into the channel and see 6 to 8 seals. I saw a few the night before just by the shore. Everyone working in the place treats you like a long lost friend. I hope to make it back some day.

Room tip: We shade the cuckoo's nest room
Date of stay: September 2019
Reviewed August 22, 2019

Magical location. Beautiful views with a room facing the ocean to west and Depoe Bay cove and town to the north. Large view windows. Spouting gray whales can be seen from room. Easy walking distance to restaurants and touristy shopping.

Quality satisfactory, but expect more for $326 price tag. Bathroom was small, but modern. The rest of the suite was spacious. Bedroom was nice, overlooking the crashing waves, but can be a bit noisy. Robes provided for jacuzzi use. Two people barely fit in jacuzzi on balcony. Overall, a pleasurable/unique experience in a clean room with pretty good decor. Parking is an issue. Good front desk service upon check-in, but no staff after 7 pm.

Date of stay: August 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 11, 2019

I have stayed here before, that's how I knew about it. Last time I came, I was with my friend and this time, I brought my husband back. The village or harbor is well known for being a terrific whale watching spot. Indeed we had at least 20 plus sightings of our own and I was fortunate enough to see the snout of one whale. We had many tail flip opportunities and saw the backs of several whales. Our hostess said that there are about 250 whales that migrate from north to south and that this harbor was a favorite living quarters for several whales.
Our room was upgraded by the hotel itself and now I would make suggestions on rooms to choose but will do that below. Upon entering the room, the fireplace had already taken the ocean chill off and it was beginning to warm. There was lovely music playing and the room was delightful. We were in Fore Deck. The room is equipped with binoculars to watch the whales but I would suggest bring a set of higher powered binoculars if you really want to get close up.
There are so many whale watching tours that come in and out of the channel just below, which by the way, you never hear. The room is very quiet.
I felt so bad for these folks having paid for a tour when we were able to watch the whales comfortably from our room. I am speaking from experience as well. Last time, my friend and I took a tour and saw as much on the boat trip as my husband and I from the comfort of our back porch at the hotel. We had a resident seagull who perched on the pole just behind the hotel. Don't get me wrong, there is a strict "do not feed the seagulls" policy at the hotel, but Henry, or so I dubbed him, would sit there all night and sleep and then get up to hunt for food. Being awakened in the morning was usually Henry waking up. He was our alarm clock! At certain times of year, there are seals that hang up just below the bridge going over the channel. They weren't there at the time we visited but my friend and I saw them before.
The town is a bit crowded with tourists and the shops, eating establishments, etc are expensive. It still manages to be quite quaint.
The continental breakfast at the hotel is more like a full serve restaurant. We got our fill from that each day and then usually just got small things the rest of the day. Particular favorites of my husband's were the corn dogs and roasted and honeyed cashews. In contrast to Captain John's the village does NOT smell fishy. I can't say enough about this delightful location and would hope that this review sways as many as possible to stay here. The staff, the hotel, everything is just delightful!
(the only downside is a bathroom smell in the hallway, but it doesn't make it's way at all into the rooms or anywhere else.)

Room tip: The rooms that offer a FULL ocean view would be the best, though more pricey. Would be worth it!
Reviewed August 6, 2019

We left a resort that was a dump and a room here. We were very pleased with how clean the room was and nice the front desk person was also. Very friendly and informative of the local area restaurants.

I dont like carpet in rooms but this was very nice. This place has the potential to be really amazing but does lack some privacy. We were on the balcony in the annex building and considered getting in the tub until it was full of bird poop, no doubt being outside this happens, so were just going to clean it, then the neighbors checked in and we could see each other through the ANGLED slats in the fence- why not a dividing fence thats not see through, then the people next door came home and sat on the couch to whale watch just like we were doing and we could see each other also.. The bathrooms were clean, yet they are very dated.

This place left a lot to be desired personally speaking...over all its a clean, accommodating place with a GREAT view of the ocean. I would stay again.

Reviewed July 29, 2019

Nice location with a nice view. Our room was small but property management had been very upfront about this. The breakfast was delicious and the location is wonderful in this quaint coastal town. This room was a bit pricey for the value and the view of the telephone pole right outside of the room. The hot tub was really nice. Also - the fireplace kept going out 20 seconds after lighting. The room was the Spouting Horn.

Date of stay: July 2019