“Nice Friendly Place with Good Food”
Review of Thai Bay

Thai Bay
Ranked #5 of 34 Restaurants in Depoe Bay
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Just opened July 2011. Excellent food with a great view of the boats in the harbor.
Reviewed July 13, 2014

From the outside, this place looks pretty pedestrian. Even inside, it's pretty basic. Don't come here for the atmosphere. But the food is delicious and authentically Thai. If you can get a table on the back windows, you will have a wonderful view of Depoe Bay's "Smallest Harbor in the World". Service is friendly and timely. The Pad Hot Basil with Seafood was dreamy good. The wine list is miniscule but they had an Erath Pinot Noir which was perfect.

There are newer reviews for Thai Bay

Reviewed July 12, 2014

We've tried other Thai places in neighboring coastal towns and this one blows them out of the water. This reminded me of Opal Thai in Haleiwa, Hawaii. Fresh, great quality meats, and great flavor. There was only one person manning the place on a busy summer Saturday afternoon so he was waiter, chef, and cashier. But it was worth the wait and the food was outstanding. Between us we tried the yellow curry, pad thai, red curry noodle soup, yakisoba for the kids, and the steamed veggies with peanut sauce and shrimp. All very delish! Highly recommend. We were a family of four adults and three children and it was less than we paid for breakfast at a diner the other morning.

1  Thank noodle08
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Great view overlooking Depoe Bay harbor. The restaurant was empty at 2:00 pm but the food was good. The combination appetizer plate was fresh, generous and eleven bucks. The Mussaman curry was classic and we had it with seafood. The seafood was fresh.

Reviewed June 24, 2014

This modest little building on hwy 101 overlooks the harbor at Depoe Bay. It is nothing fancy, but serves very good Thai food. We'd had 2 solid days of seafood, so we were glad to order lemongrass chicken with peanut sauce and stir fried green beans. The food is presented very attractively and when you ask for moderately spicy that is what you get, not something slightly less bland than normal. "Moderately spicy" had plenty of heat for me & I like things kinda hot.

Reviewed June 19, 2014

I lived in Bangkok when I was younger, so I was exposed to many Thai foods while there. Thai Bay lives up to the general term of Thai restaurant quite well. From the warm greeting (in Thai, too, if you like) to the simple chairs and tables to the wall hangings of pictures and artwork, the ambiance is similar to such places as you might find in Bangkok.
One side of the menu lists appetizers, salads, specialties, side orders, and beverages. The other side of the menu lists the meats above the entrees. The prices are listed next to the three types of meats you might add to the entrees. Each of the curries, stir-fry, and noodle selections count as a separate entree and include a choice of the meats listed at the top for the prices listed next to the meats. When I first looked at the menu, it took me a minute to realize how that page of the menu works.
The food did not disappoint. I had the peanut sauce curry entree with shrimp and also ordered the shrimp fried rice, the latter of which is my need anytime I go to a Thai restaurant. Even though the fried rice is considered another entree, I do this as my way of gauging how good a Thai restaurant is and this one is right up there for authenticity. Also, shrimp fried rice is my favorite Thai dish.
My wife had the green curry with chicken. With our curries, we also received a bowl with enough rice for both of us to put under the curries and enough remaining for my take-home leftovers.
If you love Thai food and find yourself in or near Depoe Bay, treat yourself to Thai Bay. If you haven't tried Thai food, treat yourself to Thai Bay. If you don't like Thai food, then you'll just have to settle for eating someplace else.
Enjoy!