“Charming”

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Buffet, Reservations
Boise, Idaho
“Charming”
Reviewed June 13, 2014

I so enjoyed lunch at this quaint restaurant. The location by the bay affords some great vies of boats traveling in and out of the harbor, fishermen cleaning the catch of the day, and the adorable seals! The music playing (instrumental melodies of Elvis tunes) was relaxing and fun to sing to. Loved the scrumptious oyster sandwich and wonderful rhubarb pie! I highly recommend this cute restaurant as a must see in delle bay !

• Visited June 2014

Ocean Shores, Washington
“Just a little below average, but not poor”
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Sea bass was the special....it came breaded and deep fried like fish and chips with no seasoning in the batter. The steak was slightly undercooked, and full of fat.
Staff was very friendly and was willing to attempt to fix our complaints, but we just ate it.
Nice view of Depoe Bay Harbor.

Visited May 2014
Newport, Oregon
“Worth the sticker shock”
Reviewed April 26, 2014

The Spouting Horn Restaurant doesn't look like much, but I just got done eating there and I hope to do so again. When my wife and I stepped through the front door, we were greeted immediately by a smiling older woman with white hair who said "Hello, we've been waiting for you!" She showed us to a row of available tables near a window facing out onto the Depot Bay marina and let us pick the available one we wanted. They were covered in checkered white and blue tablecloths, with anchors. We were advised that there's a buffet a lot of people like and were shown menus which highlighted that option on the back. The buffet didn't look quite inviting enough to me to justify the price--$18 per adult--so I looked at the other options and found that pickings are quite slim. Definitely, it's a sea food restaurant, though kids might like the hamburger or grilled cheese sandwich. I'm partial to the latter myself, but I decided to go for fish and chips, even though virtually every restaurant on the coast offers that. As for drinks, there were wine options at $5 a glass, but I don't drink wine so I went with a Pepsi. It showed up in a tiny glass, but there were free refills and the Pepsi actually tasted like Pepsi should (a rarity, here on the Oregon Coast). We also were delivered a tray with homemade bread and softened butter, which was excellent, and staff were attentive throughout the duration of our meal (three separate people checked on us, some more than once, but they didn't hover or rush my wife and I). I heard another customer noting that many of the staff were new, which another waitress--I think probably the owner--confirmed, but the service we got was never subpar as a result. As for the food, the coleslaw was good, the fish was flaky, and the french fries were fried beautifully, so that they were golden on the outside but white in the center. Very, very good. Then for dessert, my wife and I couldn't resist ordering pie. Our variety, marionberry (the menu says blackberry, but a hostess explained the semantic variation), was "deep dish" and came in a small bowl with two half-scoops of ice cream on top. It was very rich, quite delicious. Our total bill with a reasonable tip came to $44, and staff wished us a safe drive as we left (after thanking us for stopping through). I wish I could recommend the experience wholeheartedly, but the prices across the board are about 20% higher than similar restaurants along the coast. I'd say the difference is worth it depending on your mood and preferences, but it's something to keep in mind.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank jasonventer
Lantzville, Canada
“Feels like home”
Reviewed April 3, 2014

I've been coming to the Spouting Horn since 1972 with my parents. Back then I was gumming my food. Betty has always been so gracious to everyone. My folks and I were down for Christmas a few years ago and the saturday Chuckwagon buffet fell on Christmas Eve. They were scheduled to be closed that day. We were in having lunch on the friday chatting with Betty and her son and telling them how much we loved the buffet. Betty made a most remarkable decision to open her restaurant and put on the Chuckwagon literally for us! This cannot be an easy undertaking. Only around a dozen people showed up that night and Betty and her son were so great, chatting with everybody. Betty shared one of her freshly baked cookies with me. That was the last time I would ever be there with my mom. She passed away last December. My wife and dad and I are going down later this month for Easter and in true fashion, we'll be making a B-line for the Spouting Horn for some chowder and a piece of Betty's amazing pie. This isn't just a restaurant...it's just like home. Thank you Betty

• Visited December 2013
4 Thank Jason R
Depoe Bay, Oregon
“Upset”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Pretty much ignored by the waitress, Wasn't even given water while my 3 year old was telling me he wanted water. Waited 10 min and nothing. I felt judged because we are a young couple with two kids, We got up and left and walked down to the Sea Hag which had great service and tended to us right away even though they were busy. My family and I live in Depoe Bay and will not return here and we will spread the world about how we were ignored here.

• Visited February 2014