“Fine Dining in Oregon Wine region”
Review of Joel Palmer House

Joel Palmer House
Reserve with OpenTable
Joel Palmer House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 9 Restaurants in Dayton
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 6th
Description: Our family business took shape when my great-grandfather, Joseph Czarnecki, opened Joe's Tavern in 1916 in Reading, Pennsylvania. His son, Joseph Jr., carried on the tradition, transforming the original tavern into Joe's Restaurant and changing the focus to fine dining and wine with wild mushrooms (a family passion) as the centerpiece. My father, Jack Czarnecki, followed in his father's footsteps, taking Joe's Restaurant to a new level while maintaining the mushroom theme. Despite the success of Joe's, our family's lifelong desire was to combine great mushroom hunting with fine wine. This dream was fully realized in 1996 when my parents, Jack & Heidi, purchased The Joel Palmer House and moved the family and the restaurant west. Our cooking revolves around wild mushrooms and truffles which we gather ourselves and with friends. We have always striven to obtain locally raised ingredients in our cooking, and we use many locally produced greens, herbs, and vegetables. Frequently we will use ingredients found in the cuisines of Mexico, China, Thailand, Poland, and India, so we call our cooking, “freestyle”. And, of course, we are working hard to create dishes which match the glorious wines of Oregon, especially Pinot Noir, Pinot Gris, and Chardonnay.
Reviewed September 18, 2012

This was a very nice fine dining experience in the Willamette wine country region. The staff is well trained and very attentive. The restaurant is located in a older well maintained home. The chef came out to each table and wanted to know about food and service. This is a must if you want an elegant dining experience.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

Very good meal and service. Three signature dishes prepared with wild mushrooms and truffles found by the chef's father. If you like mushrooms they are wonderful. My wife had the soup and tart and I had the stroganoff. I also had the foie gras which was excellent. Desserts were very good also. Location is an old restored home which we found charming. Patio seating was also available.

Reviewed September 8, 2012

It is a bit of a drive and in the middle of a small town but worth the trip. A restaurant in an historic house, this restaurant was a treat. Having eaten the previous night at The Painted Lady, we hit the two top restaurants in the Willamette Valley area. Service was wonderful. Mostly young folks and they were trained well. Plates removed when both were finished, a server for each task. All friendly but not bothersome. Known for their mushroom martinis, we didn't try. I'm a purist when it comes to that, but saw others drink it. Mushroom tart was wonderful. We split that and then my husband had the oysters and I the foie gras which was heavenly. The mains were elk and crab. Both were very good. Chef Christopher came out to us and asked how it was and any suggestions (I think he said that as I thought that was a great question). In any case, it was very well done. He is third generation chef and as a young man, has done a great job.
I do have one suggestion. As at The Painted Lady, use dark napkins for dark slacks and white for the light colored. As we sat in our car waiting to go in (arrived a little early) the woman getting into her car next to us commented on the "fuzzies" on her slacks. Such a common and silly problem but one solved easily and makes the difference between great and excellent!!
Dress is business casual as one should dress for a nice restaurant and evening out. You won't be disappointed.

Reviewed September 8, 2012

If you love mushrooms, you'll be in heaven here. We had a lovely dinner here, and everything was delicious. The chef/owner came to our table to ensure we were enjoying our meal, which of course we were.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

Went here for a birthday dinner and told them such on the reservation. Was greeted with a "so this is for your birthday?" "Happy birthday"...that was it. Would have appreciated a little something more. I know this isn't a sombrero wearing type place, but a little more effort would have been appreciated, especially when the "service is already included" as they tell you. Meaning they add the gratuity automatically.

I ordered just appetizers for my dinner. My friend had just an entree and we brought a bottle of wine with us. And we shared a dessert. With the added gratuity it was $120.00 for 2 people.

I felt the service was a bit off and not as friendly as in past visits. You don't really have a server, various people serve you. No one really went out of their way to present the food of explain what we were eating or how it was prepared as in past visits.

The gazpacho was delicious, as usual. Actually, I think it was the 1 high point and was presently beautifully. Everything else was OK, but probably not worth what we paid.

I've only eaten here during warmer months when you can sit outside. I've been inside, just to use the restroom and am glad I didn't have to eat inside. It feels a bit dated and cramped. Overall, I'm glad I have my previous visits here to remember. It will probably be awhile before I return.

I do appreciate that they have an online reservation system now, though!