“Scared of the B & B title after this one....”
Review of Wine Country Farm

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dayton
Wine Country Farm
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dayton
Reviewed September 22, 2008

The outside of this bed and breakfast is very charming, the location is outstanding, and the views are spectacular....but once you enter the inn.... Although the place is neat and clean, the smell of bacon and sausage from the daily breakfast permeates the house and is overwhelming. The place is furnished with what appears to be second-hand store finds -- a mix of southwestern and victorian. I wish I had stayed someplace else!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
wineDayton, Owner at Wine Country Farm, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2009

The couple who wrote the Sept. 22nd review must have us mixed up with someone else. We do not have a single piece of either Southwestern or Victorian furniture in the house. We do have Indian art, Kachinas and paintings. This house absolutely does not smell. In the morning guests come down and comment on the wonderful smell and the delicious breakfasts of which we have had many great reviews. If guests are vegitarians we always accommodate them even if they haven't advised us previously.

Reviewed April 21, 2008

This is a lovely rustic farmhouse home and B&B. We had a great stay with Joan and her staff and loved the location and the view.

The rooms are very comfortable, though the house is an old farmhouse so don't expect hotel-new facilities. We enjoyed having a fire in the living room every night over a glass of wine. . .

The B&B staff is very friendly and attentive. We had great breakfasts every day and felt very much 'at home'!

The location is terrific -- on top of a hill in the heart of it all -- several popular wineries (to include Domaine Drouhin, Domaine Serene) are on the same country lane, and it makes for wonderful early morning walks on the quiet roads.

The views are the best -- high atop the hill, you can see the entire area below, with vineyards and bucolic country views in every direction! It is a wonderful place to be in the middle of things, yet in a locaiton that encourages a slower pace, and just sitting back and enjoying the environment!

Would highly recommend this B&B.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed June 3, 2007

I was made to feel extremely unwelcome at the Wine Country Farm. The owner(? Joan) was rude, unprofessional, and ungracious. It was the single most unpleasant hospitality experience I've ever had, and I've traveled extensively for business and pleasure (and I'm a nice person!).

I was told by other guests that a "welcome" glass of wine was available upon arrival. When it was not offered after several reasonable opportunities, I rather timidly asked about it: "I was wondering about a glass of wine?" Joan acted ignorant of the tradition ("Oh? Did you bring some?") and made me feel rude for mentioning it. I apologized and rescinded the request. She subsequently seemed to remember the tradition, by which time I told her I was no longer interested. I know all the other guests in the B&B that night, and I know others were given a glass of wine.

She refused to provide me with a rate when I made my reservation, and she made no mention of extra charges for children (who I know I mentioned because I ascertained that there would be a king-sized bed for three of us to share). There was no documentation of the reservation, so I called a couple days before arrival to confirm it, and I again mentioned the children. She denied knowing about the children (well-behaved 8- and 11-year olds) from when I made the reservation and explained that they were only being allowed because we were associated with the wedding that had booked the entire establishment.

There was no formal check-in upon arrival; we were just shown to our room. When we asked to pay upon departure the next morning, Joan charged my credit card an extra $70 ($35 per child); this was more than 50% of the price of the room. When my sister later checked out with her 7-year old, there was no additional charge for her child; and when my mother checked out later yet, Joan gave her $40 cash to refund to me--which makes no sense and is extremely unprofessional.

Note too that my kids have traveled a lot in and outside the US. They are quiet and like to read and play chess. They took off their shoes inside the B&B, and they were polite and considerate. Neither they nor I gave Joan any cause for rude treatment. Yet we received suspicious glares throughout our time there.

Joan's passive-aggressive behavior ruined an otherwise beautiful setting and superb breakfast. I strongly recommend NEVER staying at the Wine Country Farm nor subjecting your wedding guests to its poor hospitality.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
5  Thank Seattle84
wineDayton, Owner at Wine Country Farm, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2007

Wine Country Farm hosts about 30 weddings plus many other functions in between being totally booked during our season. We have been doing so for 15 years. When our inn is booked for a wedding the bridal couple fill the rooms with the guests they choose. They know we accept children 12 and older. Rates for each room are not given out as there is a package price for the event. There are brochures in each room listing our prices for the guests. When someone shows up unexpectedly with children we do try to make the very best of the situation even though the children are under our age limit and at times can be very rambunctious. We close our tasting room to the public for the event, consequently, do not do wine tasting for the guests as everyone is busy setting up for the wedding. We take great pride in our service and our facilities. Some of my staff have been with me for over 10 years. We do understand that weddings can be very stressful for some people and would like to invite the couple to come and enjoy the hospitality that enabled us to be featured in 1,000 Places to See Before You Die.
Joan Davenport, Owner and working hostess

Reviewed April 15, 2007

Nice and quiet inn in the Dundee Hills of Oregon. Rooms are comfortable, breakfast is certainly home made and good. The views of this place and area are FABULOUS! I am amazed that there aren't thousands of visitors each day to this area...maybe there are. The beauty is greater than Sonoma, and it actually reminds me very much of Beaujolais. Pinot is a finicky grape but some of the Oregon vinters have done a fabulous job... This is the next Napa and this hotel the next .....well, there are a lot of nice places in Napa and The Wine Country Farm is right up there with the best.

Only down side was the soft sell of the house made wine. "Come and have a glass of wine," where you go to the tasting room, in another building with the price list in front of you. A bit tacky, but the place is still a great find....either skip the "glass of wine," or know what to accept.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 16, 2007

We really enjoyed our time at the Wine Country Farm. The staff and owner were both really helpful and set us up with a tour with one of the local wineries. There are about 5 within a short walk from the house which made it an ideal location for us. It is right near Dundee which has some great restaurants. The location is perfect, the views are fabulous and the breakfast was great. The main house is older and our room was nice, though the walls were on the thin side. Not so much that it caused any sort of problem with us but may be something to think about if you are a light sleeper and they have some louder guests... Overall, we would return in an instant as the location is perfect right next to some of Oregon's finest wineries.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed January 4, 2007

My husband and I stayed at Wine Country Farm this past August and enjoyed our time there immensely. The breakfasts were fantastic and plentiful, including freshly squeezed juice each morning and homemade jams, and the view from our room was fantastic. We were able to walk from the house to a few vineyards in the area, and the rest were just a short drive away.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 10, 2006

My boyfriend and I stayed at this bed and breakfast for one night. We have stayed in many bed and breakfasts and this one rates an average, but really only because of the beautiful location (which was still great, despite a copious amount of rain). We stayed in the Oregon suite, which is spacious, but the furnishings kind of seem like they were thrown together from visiting garage sales or old hotel auctions. There was weather damage to the ceiling, which was peeling at the center. There were also a fair number of small bugs in the curtains and on the walls. They were harmless, but not necessarily the thing you want to stare at while trying to enjoy sitting in front of the fire. Also, the soundproofing was not great. We could hear pretty much everything the people in the room next to us were doing. The breakfast was just scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, english muffins- definitely not like some gourmet breakfasts you get at other inns.

However, the complimentary wine tasting was fun, the location is excellent, and the hostess (not the owner) was extremely nice.

• Stayed: November 2006
1  Thank ormovahi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dayton
Comfort Inn & Suites McMinnville
Best Western Newberg Inn
McMenamins Hotel Oregon
McMenamins Hotel Oregon
#2 of 6 in McMinnville
Holiday Inn Express Newberg - Wine Country
GuestHouse Vineyard Inn McMinnville
La Bastide Bed & Breakfast

Been to Wine Country Farm? Share your experiences!