“Amazing views from the terrace”

Domaine Drouhin Oregon
Ranked #3 of 19 things to do in Dayton
More attraction details
Owner description: French Soul, Oregon Soil. The Drouhin Family has been producing exceptional wines in Burgundy since 1880, and in the Dundee Hills of Oregon since 1987. Our wines are noted internationally for their balance, pure expression of fruit, and classical elegance. Please join us!
Vancouver, Canada
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Amazing views from the terrace”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Visited the winery in late June 2013. It was bought by the owner of the famous Drouhin vineyards in Burgundy. Apparently, he was so impressed by Oregon wines that were entered in a competition in Paris, he bought 100 acres of land. His daughter now runs the vineyard. The winery and tasting room are in a lovely building on the top of a hill looking out over the whole region. Its probably worth the trip just for the views. Good service in the tasting room and reasonably priced. Read the specific reviews of the wines but my favourite on offer was the 2009 Laurene. More traditional burgundian style of wine with less of the lighter fruits you get in other wines in the area.

Visited June 2013

Estes Park, CO
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“One of the best wine experiences in Dundee Hills”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We made an appointment by phone for a private tour and tasting. Steve Krug was our host for the tour. We were met at the door with some cheery rose' of Pinot Noir to sip while we visited the vineyard. With Steve we learned about the land selection and purchase, the clone selected, the soil, the climate, the pruning and trellising of the vines, the spacing of the vines, and the variations in water and temperatures from year to year and the effect on the grapes. We went inside and saw the gravity flow winery. We were impressed to learn about the sourcing and treatment of the barrels with almost exclusive sourcing from one cooperage for the history of the winery. We finally sat down at a private table and tasted 6 wines, most from Oregon, but some from France. Steve artfully guided us through the tasting, allowing side by side tasting of the the wines from France and their Oregon counterparts. He pointed out the differences that the climates and soils in France and Oregon made in the corresponding wines. Some real surprises. The wines were great. The experience was unforgettable The personal attention and wine education we received were well worth the cost of the private tour and tasting. Don't just drop by. Make a reservation and enjoy the whole experience available.

Visited May 2013
Eagle, Idaho
176 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 232 helpful votes
“Big Bucks”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I lived in the Portland area for over 50 years and have been lucky enough to see the NW wine business from the Hippy days to now . The wines are better , but when places like Domaine Drouhin start charging $15 a tasting. Its time to buy wine in Costco and have a picnic in the valley. Lovely building very good wines , just not for that much $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Visited March 2013
DDO_1988, Manager at Domaine Drouhin Oregon, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Hi Mike,

Thanks so much for coming out to the winery and I'm glad you had a nice visit. We are sorry to hear that you felt our fee was too expensive. In the Tasting Room we offer a $10 flight which includes a tasting of our Chardonnay Arthur, Dundee Hills Pinot Noir and our Pinot Noir Laurène. We always waive the fee with a $100 purchase and most definitely encourage sharing. Occasionally we also offer a tasting of two French wines from our parent winery, Joseph Drouhin, for a $5 additional fee.

In the end, thanks for coming out to visit and hopefully we'll have the chance to host you again in the future.
San Francisco, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Excellent Pinot Noir”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I am in the Willamette Valley to explore wine. I've been excited to explore the region and I've been seriously satisfied!

Domaine Drouhin is an excellent representation of what the region offers. I wouldn't say it's the best - there are so many different and incredible wineries - but it's amazing. My strongest frame of reference for Pinot Noir is the Russian River Valley, where wine growers develop sturdy, ripe, fruit-driven Pinot. Right away I noticed distinct differences.

Willamette Valley Pinot is thinner and silkier in texture than Pinot from California. The fruitiness doesn't develop as much, but earthy characteristics seem more present. The wines seem more Burgundian, which makes sense considering the latitude. I enjoyed the silky fine elegance of these wines. I loved their earthiness. I loved that's I could taste the region in the wine. I love RRV Pinot, but I love these too. They're different!

Beyond the great wine you'll love the setting with beautiful views of the valley.

It's not a warm fuzzy cozy tasting experience. You can get that at other great wineries. If you are traveling to the area to taste Pinot, though, you must include Domaine Drouhin to your list. You'll be happy you did!

Detroit, Michigan
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Dont miss!”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

This is a lovely winery and their wine is very nice! The tasting area is to die for and the views stunning. It's also located accross the road from Wine Country Farm B&B

Visited September 2012