As I browsed Moonstone's website for the Village Green I noticed that the description for a standard king room says "Signature Moonstone mattress" and "Triple sheeting." In the reservations/booking process (which you'll see if you click "Book a room or check availability") the photo shown of the standard king prominently features a new-looking bed with triple sheeting. Great: booked.
When we arrived we were given a room in the 200 building with an old, sunken-in mattress and old floral bedspread. No triple sheeting and no signature mattress. We went back to the desk thinking this was a mistake (the pet-friendly rooms have older beds), but apparently this room (in the 200 building) is considered to be of the same type as the new-mattress, triple-sheet "standard" rooms described on the website! They were out of rooms that actually resembled what we booked (the clerk told us that deluxe rooms all have the triple sheeting, but couldn't seem to assure us that standard rooms do also - this is obviously a problem they encounter regularly), so we were offered a queen/double room that had no private patio and was in a much less 'nice' part of the property (a pretty obvious downgrade). For me, the most important part of a hotel room is a clean bed and quality mattress, so that's the choice we made. The clerk discounted the room a tiny amount - front desk staff isn't authorized to do any more.
I was disappointed that the room we would have had was in no way like the room described and shown on the website. This is fraud, pure and simple.
The room we did stay in (300 building) had its share of issues, but I don't know what better to expect from Cottage Grove or from this obviously historic property. The carpet and paint were new and the furniture was funky yet practical, clean and mostly new. The bathroom needs a major overhaul - it's very 1940s, complete with old borax-type powder-soap dispensers (we were sort of disappointed that they were empty!). The environment-friendly pump dispenser for shampoo, conditioner, and shower gel contained unidentified products and the dispenser needed a thorough cleaning (yuck). There wasn't a grounded outlet for our laptops anywhere in the whole room, and cords for grounded devices like the coffeepot and TV had their grounds cut off so that they could be plugged in! Um...
The 'garden' side of the room opens onto a 'patio' that's just an undivided strip of pavement that runs along the back side of the building (think strip motel) and it was obvious people smoke out there right by the windows and doors despite the rooms being designated non-smoking. No patio furniture, but nothing to look at either - big lawn, blackberry brambles, and a side road.
The property is sprawling, with 6 functioning guestroom buildings (I think?) and two that are clearly not in use (one of them is gutted and standing empty with most of its exterior walls removed, a testament to the property being far too large for its location and management to support). The outdoor pool is situated in a tropical or oasis-like setting and we wished we'd brought swimsuits. The pool has adult-only hours after 9 pm and is beautiful after dark.
A hotel can't really be fully responsible for its guests, but as Village Green is listed on some LGBT resource websites as a gay-friendly property or a place for gay folks to wed, I have to include in this review these facts:
- Two guests of a (straight) wedding that took place on site must have overheard or were told by front desk staff about our room troubles, and were rude to us in the parking lot.
- We heard hate speech and bigoted remarks in the bar - I don't think they were targeted at us, but I wonder if they were for our benefit.
- In the morning, our car had been marked in removable paint with a rude four-letter word. We assume this was the wedding guests again (rather than disgruntled staff), given that they probably had removable paint to use on the newlyweds' car. The caretaker who lives on-site helped us get it cleaned off; she was very solicitous and sympathetic.
With classy clientele like that and apparently no security cameras, I wouldn't consider this a safe place for women traveling alone or LGBT people.
There is no management on site during the weekends and they apparently can't be called to resolve problems. I asked that the manager contact me Monday about the room, and the clerk said she'd leave a note. A manager called me Tuesday. She was professional and sympathetic and promised action regarding the harassment and vandalism. She also requested that if we visit again we let her know so she could make it up to us. As of November 2013 the deceptive photo on the reservations website has not changed and I haven't heard anything back about doing anything to prevent or address the terrible experiences we had there, so I'm reluctant to take her up on her offer.
Overall, it feels a little like Moonstone can't afford to properly maintain and manage this property. The staff, however pleasant they might be as people, are unable to address issues directly, and Moonstone doesn't seem inclined to do anything whatsoever.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Village Green Resort and Gardens include an onsite restaurant "Seasons at The Green" and the Fireside lounge with live entertainment each night! Beautiful cozy Guestrooms that offer private garden patios and 14 acres of themed gardens to enjoy. Village Green is within walking distance of the 14 mile paved Row River Trail that takes you around Dorena Lake by bicycle, horse or running! Here at the Village Green Resort we offer Tandem Bike Rentals to see the area and bike the Row River Trail. We also offer an on site Beauty Salon. Cottage Grove is well known for it historic Covered Bridges. There is so much beauty here you will want to stay! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Cancelon, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Hotwire and getaroom.com so you can book your Village Green Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Village Green Hotel Cottage Grove
- Village Green Cottage Grove
- Village Green Hotel And Gardens