“Beautiful gardens, small bathroom”

Village Green Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Cottage Grove
Reviewed May 14, 2012

We've stayed here a few times. Our most recent stay was the first with a wheelchair. We stayed in a deluxe (remodeled) room. Almost everything was great! the king bed is very comfortable, (soft if you like that). The fireplace with the rounded rock hearth just beautiful. We love the private patio out the back door. We sat out and looked at stars late at night and even though our neighbor in the next room had their private garden light on, it was still dark on our side to let us see the sky. The gardens are the best part of this place. The site advertises it as 14 acres of garden but it feels smaller than that. perhaps they are counting all of the very large lawns. It's still fantastic with many different themed gardens. Each garden has a mailbox with a flyer inside describing the theme and plants in that section. Love the grotto with the hidden bench! There are little surprises all over like the covered bridge bird house.

The prime rib was wonderful, the stroganoff just okay. Our package included dinner otherwise we probably wouldn't have eaten there.

The not as great points: Breakfast was continental with waffles. Really a bit of a disappointment as so many places now offer a good complimentary breakfast with choices of a few hot things. The only fruit offered was grapefruit.

The bathroom is tiny. You must stand at the back wall beside the toilet to close the door. Most of the decor is very nice but in the bathroom the cabinet is faced with kind of seedy looking meant to look like rattan but fooling no one paper!

Information for wheelchair users: They only offer a queen bed in their accessible suite so we tried staying in a king room without the accessible features and it worked out okay for us because the bathroom was so small. There is a bar in the bathtub/shower as well, but my over the bathtub bench would not work in it. We looked at the accessible room and that bathroom was great so we may just settle for the smaller bed next time.

The doors were wide enough for a large wheelchair to go through easily, even the back door to the patio. Easily 90% of the gardens gravel paths were able to be used by a manual wheelchair. The others were just too narrow but you could see almost every single thing by going another route anyway so, for us, it was no big deal and a good time. The ramps on the newer section are smooth and nice and wide and not too steep.

Room Tip: Spring for a deluxe room, our very first trip we'd had to stay in an old room and it was very li...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 2_Casual_Travelers11
Medford1977, General Manager at Village Green Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2012

Thank you so much for your review! I would agree with you and encourage you to reserve our ADA compliant guestroom for your next stay . Although this room has a queen bed it has more space, a fireplace and of course the great Moonstone amenity, a private garden patio off the back of the room.. Thanks again for your review and I hope to see you soon here at The Village Green Resort!

Reviewed May 11, 2012

Always a pleasant place to stop on our way up hwy 5
Nice landscaping and rooms, comfy beds and extra pillows
We chose the package with dinner and dinner and house wine very good with great service from Victor
900 rooms have a fire place and sunny patio. And though it faces freeway noise did not bother us. 800 rooms face other way with a shady patio for less cost.
Territorial Seed Company with plants as well just down the street!!
Will definitely stay again!
(hope their pillows get aired by then)

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank rdgtchr
Reviewed May 4, 2012 via mobile

We had a very large well appointed deluxe room. (813) one of the newer rooms I gather. The fireplace in our room was a great idea. The room had 2 queen beds, writing desk , 2 comfortable chairs + small table and lamp. Tv which we didn't ever try. The furnishings were all good quality and attractive. The bathroom was small but efficient with plenty of thick towels etc. There was an extra sink and wall mirror in the entrance area which was very handy. There's lots and lots of power outlets for computer and cameras to recharge. Our room had a small garden patio complete with table and chairs. It wasnt sunny enough while we were there to put it to use but I like the idea. The staff are very friendly and helpful ..... My compliments to them all.... Reception staff and restaurant staff. The only downside to our stay was the wifi service was out if action for one of the 2 days we were here but once this was reported it was looked into and fixed.
We had a wonderful 2 days in the Cottage Grove area taking the lane county covered bridges self drive tour and exploring some of the local wineries. The evening meals at the property restaurant were excellent. Breakfast are a little lacking though adequate.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed March 28, 2012

Like recent reviewers, I bought a Travelzoo voucher for a 2 night stay that included a dinner with locally sourced wine, continental breakfast and discounts for lunch, happy hour and a second dinner. I brought my dog and there was no extra charge - a real plus! I was greeted at check-in with a "doggie bag" that included a cute dog dish, biscuits, poop bags and a list of rules with the usual requirements (don't leave the pet alone in the room, pick up after it). I am usually leery of rooms designated for pets as they often have unpleasant odors, but that was not the case here. As others noted, there is a lot of renovation work going on and I applaud the efforts to bring the Grand Old Dame back to life. I was told the resort was built in 1960 and was the only 5 Star lodging available in the area for many years. The pink cast iron sink and tub in the bathroom are character defining elements of that era and are quaint. There are new upgrades that include on-demand hot water and an inwall heater that was relatively quiet and kept the spacious room cozy warm. I appreciated the original design of the hotel that includes covered walkways and parking which is great for Oregon weather. There was a freak spring snow during my stay that underscored how nice that was. Unfortunately, the snow obscured the work being done on the gardens which looked nice from the pictures I saw. I had always wanted to see the bridges of Lane County, and staying at the Village Green Resort gave me that opportunity. I also enjoyed seeing downtown Cottage Grove, which is charming. My only quibble with the resort was that the succulent happy hour steamed clams in wine sauce did not come with bread. Happy hour was from 3 - 6 p.m. and I was told bread wasn't available until 5 p.m. when the dinner kitchen opened. After some cajoling, bread was produced at 4:30.

Room Tip: The rooms designated for pets are near the pool and did not include fire places like other rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
7  Thank seashelltrvl
Medford1977, General Manager at Village Green Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2012

Thank you so much for your reveiw on Tripadvisor..Pets are so important and are part of the family! Here at The Village Green we do not charge extra for your pets.. And we have acres for them to roam and enjoy our resort! We hope you come back and experience the gardens during the wonderful seasons with your puppy..

Reviewed March 27, 2012

If getting away from it all is what you want with peace and quiet, then this is the place. If a hairdresser/manicurist and outdoor pool make it a resort, then it's a resort. Above all, it is charming. Our room had two queen-sized beds and a fireplace. There were doors that opened onto a private sitting area where one might view a garden. Unfortunately, the weather prohibited our enjoying that. We had snow on the first day of spring and the gardens were not yet in bloom. The restaurant had good food and excellent service. People dressed casually. The bar had a group that played country-western music and the setting was perfect for that. If you enjoy visiting wineries and seeing covered bridges and a "cute" downtown area, this is for you. If you have teenagers, maybe not. It is right off I-5 and very near Walmart, but you hardly know they are there, yet, Walmart was handy when we wanted snacks. Oh, if you should have a camper or 5th wheeler, there is a place there for you to pull in and hook up.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank elkelieber

Thank you so much for your reveiw of our hotel! I am happy to hear that you purchased the Travelzoo deal! It gives the guest a chance to come and see the property for themselves on an amazing offer.. We are very proud of our great staff as they are always welcoming..We hope you can come back and enjoy the many seasons at the resort.. P.S. leave you pillow at home!
We will make sure to have your fav here!

Reviewed March 14, 2012

Was put off my others reviews so went on our two night stay with Travelzoo voucher with some trepidation. However we found the Inn lovely! Our cozy, comfortable room with fireplace had its small patio and the bed was super comfortable including pillows of various thickness. I brought my own and didn't need to use it! The gardens were quite lovely in winter time so I cannot imagine them in warmer weather! Our dinner was quite good and a very good deal. We had the goat cheese bruchetta appetizer with top sirloin and my husband had prime rib. We had a wonderful time. Yes it is right next to I-5 but that didn't bother us at all! All staff were friendly and very helpful! Will stay there again!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank diannebo
Reviewed March 12, 2012

My husband and I booked a stay at the Village Green Resort via a Groupon-type voucher we purchased online. It was a good deal -- 2 weekend nights and a dining credit at their restaurant for under $150 -- but I think the name of the property is misleading. It is really just a shabby chic "inn" in various stages of disrepair. Our room was in one of the refurbished buildings (TIP: Request a Deluxe room in building # 8 or 9), so it was nicely remodeled. The other buildings had mossy roofs and appeared to be quite run-down. The complimentary breakfast was meager, to say the least. But, the nightly entertainment in the lounge was great as was our dinner in the restaurant. Overall, we had a nice weekend seeing the covered bridges and exploring the charming town of Cottage Grove. If we had paid more for our stay at Village Green than what we did, I would have felt cheated.

Room Tip: Buildings 8 and 9 have been remodeled, so request a Deluxe room in one of those buildings.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 mi away
Relax Inn
Relax Inn
#4 of 4 in Cottage Grove

Been to Village Green Resort? Share your experiences!