“Greasy Happy Hour Food.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lounge at Village Green Resort

Lounge at Village Green Resort
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Key West, Florida
“Greasy Happy Hour Food.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

They need to add more non-fried food to their menu.

Visited May 2012

Cottage grove
“Very nice place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2012

The food is great and the service just as great. Cant beat the prices and the atmosphere is wonderful! The fire places are just the right touch on a cold day or night. We will be back a lot more.

Visited March 2012
Scituate, Massachusetts
“Standard Fare with Good Salad Bar”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2012

I have eaten here a few times. I'd say it was an average place. The food was decent but by no means great. They have a few specials every night but were sold out by the time we entered at 7 PM. My wife had the $9 unlimited soup and salad bar which is a great value if that's all you want. They have quite a few standard type meals (steaks, chops, etc.) as well as some fish entres. I had tri-color tortellini with a cream sauce and chicken. It was decent but not great. I think the place needs a facelift and a new chef if they want to increase their clientele.

• Visited March 2012
Oregon
“Surprisingly good.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2012

We recently stayed at the hotel, (Village Green) with a package deal from Travel Zoo. (See separate review.) Included in the package was dinner for two at the attached restaurant, (Seasons at the Green) and two continental breakfasts. This review will cover both the lounge and the restaurant.

First the not so good: While certainly not horrid, the continental breakfast was pretty average. Toast, dry, chalky mini-scones, DIY waffles, watery juice, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, sickeningly sweet granola, instant hot cereal and the only fruit offered, grapefruit, (which was one of the best grapefruits we had ever eaten, btw.) Coffee was Boyds, which isn't Peet's, but is still pretty good. All-in-all, fairly average breakfast experience. This place could raise the bar and offer a basic cooked breakfast. Even if they charged for it, I, and I think a lot of others, would be fine with that, as I don't like getting up and having to hunt down breakfast first thing in the morning.

Now for the good: having read the reviews of the food, we were a bit skeptical about what we were going to find. We started out with drinks in the lounge, (very warm and inviting, with two huge real wood-burning fireplaces, comfortable overstuffed club furniture, very friendly staff and a nice "lodge-like" feel to it.) The bartender knows his stuff...I had a very good martini, ice cold and perfectly dry and my wife had a margarita, which she said was also very good. Since we were there during Happy Hour, my martini was only $3 and the margarita was $3.50. They had a fairly extensive menu of pub food, that looked pretty tasty as it was carried past us to other tables near where we were sitting, but we begged off, not wanting to fill up too much before dinner. So far, so good...

We had reservations at 5:30 and were promptly seated by a very charming hostess who explained our dinner package options. The Travel Zoo deal was any entree off the menu, (no restrictions), one appetizer for two to share, soup or salad bar and a bottle of the house wine, (which, believe it or not is Chateau Lorane, one of the better local wineries. The bottle has been relabeled with the restaurant's logo, but the cork is Lorane. Nice touch!)

The menu is not extensive and is fairly standard old school American "fine dining"...Chicken Picatta, Beef Stroganoff, Prime Rib, Glazed Salmon, etc. (http://www.villagegreenresortandgardens.com/Restaurant.htm). Dinner comes with a starch of choice and vegetables. We opted for the salad bar. Very, very fresh, lots of different toppings and a good dressing selection. Salad bars seem to be a vanishing breed, except in pizza joints, so it was nice to find one here that was this good. I was tempted to go back for seconds, but did not succumb, and was glad I held off.

The appetizer my wife and I agreed on were the crab cakes, with the citrus aioli. Very nice presentation on a bed of lightly sauteed kale and were a solid four out of five flavor-wise. They were generous portions and the one appetizer definitely was enough for the two of us. For the main course, I opted for the prime rib and the wife had the salmon. Again, nice presentation, without being fussy. I have had better prime rib, but this was more than acceptable. Tender, perfectly medium rare as ordered, not a lot of fat, and no gristle, but just a bit on the bland side. It was billed as 12 ounces, but I think was closer to 16. Very ample. The garlic mashed potatoes could have used a bit more garlic for my taste, but were very creamy and a nice foil for the beef. The glazed carrots were tender, with just the slightest crunch. Perfect! And, the prime rib came with two sauces, a standard au jus and a delicious horseradish, that tasted as if it was handmade fresh that morning, which the waiter confirmed it had indeed. Outstanding!

My wife does not like her fish undercooked and she insisted on getting it well done, in spite of the waiter's advice not to, as he said they cook it "just right". She said after her first bite, that she should have listened to him, as it was a bit on the dry side, but was not complaining as that is what she asked for. But, she said the flavor was very fresh and the glaze was excellent. The salmon was wild and not farm-raised, btw.

The decor was a bit cheesy, but not distracting. Lighting at the tables could be improved, but after a few minutes sitting there our eyes adjusted. The booth seating was comfortable and with the high backs, felt very private and intimate.

Finally, our waiter, Jake, was very helpful, attentive without being overbearing, and very pleasant. While others may have had less than desirable dinners here, ours was very good, and we would eat here again.

• Visited March 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Tucson, Arizona
“Americana Food but salad bar is the best”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2012

Waiting staff was superb. Food is meh. Nice setting, romantic perhaps. Salad bar was excellent, I would eat that again and again. Main dishes and deserts were marginal

Visited November 2011