“The Upscale Restaurant in Corvallis”
Review of Magenta Restaurant

Magenta Restaurant
Ranked #21 of 214 Restaurants in Corvallis
Cuisines: French, Indonesian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Philomath, Oregon
“The Upscale Restaurant in Corvallis”
Reviewed May 26, 2012

Sophisticated, great flavors and presentation, wonderful view and great location, bring someone you would like to impress.

Visited May 2012

Corvallis, Oregon, United States
“Used to be favorite restaurant in town...now will never go back.”
Reviewed May 2, 2012

We have been going here since we first moved here two years ago. Loved the cocktails, dim sum, and friendly, professional service from the bartender. However, after our experience there last night we will never be going back. Beside sub par service (we can live with that occasionally), the dim sum that we have been getting regularly was terrible...the tuna tartare was bland and pulsed to a pulp, the emu carpaccio was cooked and was maybe, maybe a half half an ounce of meat. The cabbage they use for garnish is usually dressed but instead it was dry and flavorless. We split a duck entree because we love it so much. It was presented ok but once we started eating it we both commented on how bland everything was...especially the sauce. We had both just had duck in Bend two nights before, so we were really disappointed that this dish didn't even hold a candle to it. It wasn't until I looked closer at the meat (about halfway through) that I realized we were eating beef. It was gray around the edges, stringy, and, well, tasted like beef. I felt like we had been had. I reserved a few pieces (would have been more but my husband has to clean his plate) to show the server. When I asked about it he seemed confused but said he would ask the kitchen. He came back and said that yes it was duck. He also said the owner, Kimber was back there and confirmed it was duck. I can't believe that when given the opportunity to fess up they didn't at least try to say it was a mistake. No one even came out to the table to talk to us and no one offered to discount it either. Let me be clear that I am a chef and know what duck tastes and looks like...and that wasn't it. I really liked going to Magenta for the atmosphere and cocktails but I don't feel like I should give them my business any more if they are pulling that kind of crap. So disappointing...and to top it off it was my birthday. :(

• Visited April 2012
Philomath, Oregon
“Great Food, Great Drinks, Cool Decor”
Reviewed April 27, 2012

We were impressed with our first visit & we keep returning. It's turning into our favorite place among several new & impressive establishments in the area. Excellent menu & dim sum selections, delicious & fresh; a fusion of Indonesian, Thai, Indo-chinese with a western update. Great service (Jerry), great bartender (Josh). The special delight is downstairs in the associated Snug Bar, cozy & comfortable, and the bartender (Robbie) an expert at all manner of libations, putting his own touch into the recipes - subtle to exotic. Rivals big-city bars of great reputation. Highly recommended. Very friendly & adaptable for gluten-free selections.

• Visited April 2012
Corvallis. Oregon
“Some hits some misses.”
Reviewed April 12, 2012

Some dishes seem to have the same sauces used in other dishes

Visited June 2011
1 Thank senafe
Corvallis, Oregon
“Only been for drinks. NOT impressed”
Reviewed February 9, 2012

This bar, while known for it's fabulous mixed libations did not impress us. Not only is the downstairs bar room small and cramped with minimal seating the drinks are overpriced and over-flavored. I tried describing the types of drinks I normally like to their mixologist to get a recommendation. He came up with a god-awful concoction that tasted like I was drinking pickled ginger.

Visited January 2012