“Excellent value, but a slightly deceiving location”
Review of Edgewater Inn

Edgewater Inn
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Coos Bay
“Excellent value, but a slightly deceiving location”
Reviewed May 28, 2011

This hotel shows it's age, but the rooms are very large and comfortable. The location is a little deceiving. While it is on the edge of the water, it's not the best of views (there's a GP lumber plant across the river). Still, it was largely peaceful and a good stop during our vacation (especially with a price that couldn't be beat).

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank Nkuchemprof

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Ripon, California
Reviewed May 7, 2011

My husband and I stayed one night and we were impressed with the room. It was the most spacious room that we had stayed in on our whole vacation with a nice king size bed, couch, table, and nice bathroom. The staff was polite and friendly enough, we didn't have much interaction with them besides checking in and out. We enjoyed the continental breakfast. The view from our room was of the river and each room had its own patio with chairs. There was another reviewer on here who complained that the pool was dirty and her kids got sick from this motel. I read that review days before we stayed here and I did not see any part of our room that was dirty or unkempt, and there was definitely not a bad smell in our room either. Honestly, I don't know who would let their kids swim in a pool in November anyway and many motels close their pools during the off seasons so that might be the reason why their pool was dirty at the time...
One complaint we did have about this motel was that their free wireless internet was really spotty and would cut in and out.
Overall, we enjoyed staying here and if we were staying in Coos Bay again, we would probably stay here again and definitely recommend it to our friends and family.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mhopper18
Keizer, Oregon
Reviewed November 14, 2010

This was the WORST hotel I have ever stayed in. Dirty, smelled like wet dogs, staff was rude, manager said she'd call back and never did. When we called we asked if they had joining rooms with 2 queen beds. We were told yes so we went to go check them out. The person at the front desk was very nice to the men checking in but I guess a middle aged woman and her grandmother aren't that important. So she hurried down to the joining rooms to let us see them. She said well if you like it meet me at the front desk and scurried off again. I got to the front desk to check in. She was typing and slammed a registration card down in front of me with a pen and said well I thought seeing the other person check in you would have figured it out you need to do this too. Well sorry, I didn't watch the other person, what they were doing wasn't my business. So I went back to the room. One room smelled like wet dog. The heater you could see was filled with dirt and dog hair. The other room the bathroom had a ring around the tub. When I called down to the desk to ask for a different room I was told "I'm the only person here I can't do anything about it right now." She didn't do anything then or the rest of the night we were stuck in the nastiest hotel rooms ever. The one bed was curling up like a taco shell. The other three you could feel the springs through them. The floor in the one room was sticky, my socks actually stuck to the carpet. The decor was from the 60's. There were no security locks on the doors so we had to barricate the doors so we weren't affraid my 2 year old would get out the front door. The towels were all different shades of stained yellow and off white. The water itself stunk it smelled like water from the bay without being filtered. Extreamly rude. Then the breakfast buffet was donuts. We decided to go down the street to the kozzy kitchen and eat which was the ONLY good thing about coos bay. When I called to speak to the manager she said she would look at everything and call me back. She never did call. I found out while talking to her the wing we were in is specific for people with dogs. NOT for people without dogs and NOT for elderly people. Well apparently the night person figured we deserved to be in a dog room. NEVER EVER stay at this hotel. I have dogs and I wouldn't take them. Now I'm home and my kids both have foot hand and mouth disease. They apparently caught it from this dirty hotel not being cleaned properly because it's the only place we stayed that wasn't clean. The doctor told us the incubation time and it would have been the dates we were in this hotel. And yes you can get the disease from dirty surfaces. I've stayed in hotels from one end of the country to the other and this was the absolute worst hotel and we paid more for it for one night than we did a family sweet in Disneyland. Oh and don't swim in the pool. I don't think it's been cleaned in quite some time. It was freezing cold in the water and the water actually felt grimmy. My lips were chapped after swimming in it and tasted like salt. Apparently everyone goes swimming to take a bath since the tubs are so dirty.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Mommahoney76

Travelers are raving about these Coos Bay hotels

Juneau, AK
Reviewed September 7, 2010

We are middle aged independent travelers who were peppering our camping vacation with occasional motels. The edgewater was excellent for this purpose. The room was huge and we were able to spread out our gear, keep our snacks in the fridge, get all cleaned and coffeed up... Everyone was very nice and everything was clean and in good working order. The balcony on the urban stream was a small but welcome bonus. This place might be low on frills but I'd say it's a good value and quite pleasant.

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank hillpagan
Mackinaw City, Michigan
Reviewed August 24, 2010

Just "so so". TERRIBLE coffee which is inexcusable in this part of the country with so many great coffee roasters around here! Desk personnel not very friendly. They put out a vibe like this is a five star resort - not so much! Coos Bay is not on a bay at all and not very pretty. Industrial view from our room while we were eating our stale donuts and drinking our horrible coffee. My advice fellow adventurers, head up north further!

• Stayed August 2010
1 Thank Javajude
Brookings, Oregon
Reviewed August 14, 2010

Had a great stay here. Nothing bad to say.
The front desk staff were super friendly and sincere.
The rooms were HUGE.
Has a very nice guest laundry ..free (1 washer and 1 dryer)
Great location. Next to a Fred Myer.
I really enjoyed it here.....wanted to re-arange our trip to stay longer.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2010

The check-in ladies were super friendly with no falseness to their manner. This, I've learnt, is the Oregon way. In California, when they say "you're welcome", you are never quite sure whether they later go home to stab needles into a voodoo effigy of you. In Oregon, it seems they genuinely mean "you're welcome".

The room was vast with a pleasant view of the waterfront. The location was blissfully quiet but very accessible from the US Highway 101. The pool was excellent. It was large and empty of any other people. Breakfast included doughnuts and was superb, for its league of 'free continental breakfasts'.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Sunset Oceanfront Lodging
Plainview Motel & RV Park
Super 8 Coos Bay/North Bend
Best Western Inn at Face Rock

Been to Edgewater Inn? Share your experiences!