“Very nice inkeeper, mediocre inn”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Coos Bay
This Olde House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 5 Coos Bay B&B and Inns
Meadow Vista, California
“Very nice inkeeper, mediocre inn”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012

The innkeeper Sally is VERY nice; immediately upon arrival she asked if there was anything she could do for us, and gave us a bottle of our choice of the many types of wine she had for us to have as we liked during our stay. Her breakfasts were some of the very best we've had at any of the many B&B's we've stayed in. The small front yard is beautifully landscaped & kept. The outside of the house is elegant, and the inn is within walking distance to the visitors center, bay boardwalk, and the immediate downtown area. The down side is that while Sally is very energetic & lively, at 80 years old and doing it herself, maintaining the inn is obviously just too much. There are many signs of deferred maintenance; old stained carpet, peeling wallpaper, and walls & trim that needed painting.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dfaye26

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Eugene, OR
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2011

I was in Coos Bay for a co-worker's retirement party held close by. I avoid hotel chains when I can. This is the slow season so I got a good deal and was the sole occupant. 2nd time in 2 weeks that I had a lodging establishment to myself.

The owner, Sally, showed me to my room, offered me a glass of wine or a beer. I declined and she handed me the keys and when I offered to pay for the room she said we would settle up in the morning. We discussed the second 'B' in B&B and she proposed 8:30 and her eyes bugged out when I countered 7 (I had a meeting to get to). We compromised at 7:30 AM.

I went out and returned to an empty inn. I went to bed and fell asleep. I could smell bacon in the morning as I was getting dressed. She prepared a very nice and very large breakfast. Eggs, bacon, sliced fruit, pancakes, OJ, coffee, and a lot of conversation. She is a wonderful character and she was full of conversation.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Brookings, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2011

We were greeted by Sally, the lovely lady who owns This Olde House, and made us immediately feel at home. She decorated the home with antiques, but has also provided her guests with modern luxuries. All the rooms have king sized beds and private bathrooms. One room has a fireplace and is so large it takes up the entire third story. In the morning we lingered over a huge, very tasty breakfast. She said one guest had told her she served a lumberjack breakfast, and I think you'll agree. If you are looking for a special experience, this charming lady and her B&B is the place for you. I will be coming back again and again. Already planning a stay early in December when a friend and I come to see the Christmas light display at Shore Acres in nearby Charlestown.

Room Tip: Two rooms have an extra bed and a view. We didn't care about the view nor the extra bed, so cho...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Grants Pass, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2011

It's charming, quirky.....but it's the hostess that's the real deal here.

This "olde" home belongs with the San Francisco Victorians. Original floors, beautiful windows....great history. It's stuffed full of a quirky collision of western and oriental art. Ya...it could use a good cleaning. But the complimentary wines, hearty breakfast, and view of the bay from our third floor room with fireplace made this experience very comfortable.

And it's 80+ year old hostess is the gem here. Sally could have easily charged me for a missed night's stay (but didn't). Her stories are many and her frequent passion for gambling is a hoot! She made this an adventure. Who else can share a personal experience with Robert Plant and Jimmy Page in her home! (great photo in entry).

Thanks Sally....we'll be talking about this one for a while!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lisa_and_Brad57
Yelm, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2011

We had a reservation for one night at This Olde House. However we didn't account for Labor Day traffic and knew we'd get in quite late. We called Sally to let her know and she told us it was no problem. Once we arrived, Sally met us at the door, showed us where the wine and snacks were and then upgraded our room at no additional cost. We didn't arrive until about 9:30 and Sally usually leaves no later than 8 but she stuck around and we were very grateful for that, the wine and the upgrade. The house (a classic Victorian) is a mix of old Victorian style and and Japanese cultures. In order to fit the in-suite bathrooms in the rooms they had to be tight. If you're really tall the ceilings in the baths will be a little close. But they didn't affect us. But the best was in store in the morning. We had a wonderful breakfast of fresh fruit, baked French toast with fresh blueberries and then scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage and home fries. There is always a pot of hot water for tea, coffee, hot chocolate, etc. and the evening wine is a real plus. On top of all that Sally is a hoot. She told us all about her gambling and how she cam in 3rd in a big in Vegas. The next time we visit Coos Bay we know where we'll be staying.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Abbots Langley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2011

Sally is lovely and she makes the guest very welcome and provides a great breakfas. Could do with a general redecoration inside

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank IanWhiteUK
Raleigh, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2011

Sally, the owner, truly enjoys entertaining her quests. The furnishings are an interesting mix of antiques, heirlooms, and Japanese collectibles. She opened a wonderful bottle of wine for happy hour and put out a beautiful.

Room Tip: One room has a Double bed plus a day bed perfect for parents and a child.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Quality Inn & Suites Coos Bay
Itty Bitty Inn
Itty Bitty Inn
#2 of 4 in North Bend

Been to This Olde House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!