“A Steak Sandwich You'll Think About...Until You Return to Have Another!”
Review of Empire Cafe - CLOSED

Empire Cafe
Cuisines: American, Italian, French, Wine Bar
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Takeout
Medford, Oregon
“A Steak Sandwich You'll Think About...Until You Return to Have Another!”
Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

I eat at Empire Cafe about every three weeks and have reviewed this wonderful establishment before...but this time I want to review their Steak Sandwich. I came in about 3 weeks ago and had this wonderful creation of grilled and sliced steak and carmelized onions stacked on homemade/handmade/baked onsite ciabatta bread with either blue cheese (the superior option!) or Monterey Jack. I was literally looking forward to this sandwich (great for lunch or dinner) since my last trip to Coos Bay. And like some things that your memory can enhance over time...not so with this--it was every bit as delicious tonight as it was 3 weeks ago! This along with a Rogue Valley salad and a glass of Cab was perfecto!!!

North Bend, Oregon
“great breads”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

eat in and take some home too. i especially enjoy the cinnamon raisin bread - delicious! lunch was very good as well.

Visited May 2012
Eugene, Oregon, United States
“Not good food at all”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Had a steak sandwich which was so tough you couldn't even cut with a sharp knife, and was real rare when I asked for well done. They took it back and cut it into baby bites and recooked and sent back, I didn't eat it .

Visited June 2012
1 Thank Claudia C
Coos Bay
“Pleasant surprise”
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Empire Cafe is in a neighborhood we know very well, but we had not paid attention not expecting much. However, when we finally gave it a try we were pleasantly surprised. The place is small,
may seat about 30 people, but it is very nicely appointed and cleverly done. My husband had
a meat dish which was good, if not impressive. I had breaded, sauteed oysters which were
very good - good enough to go back for. While we didn't have wine, we could see that they
had a fine selection for such a small place. We are lately searching for places which do not
think that french fries is a must with any dish and are glad to see that Empire Cafe is such
a place. We will be back.

• Visited July 2012
Charleston, SC
“A much needed surprise”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

While the name, Coos Bay.....Coooooos Bay rolls romantically off the tongue, travelers should not expect to find any of the romantic images the poetic name hints at. This is a town that is not ready for visitors, and knows nothing of how to feed the traveler that may find him or herself there.

Reviews on the very limited selection of restaurants were at best confusing and at worst frightening. At one point I set out in search for ANY chain location, no matter how sketchy.. There are NONE. So you can not imagine my surprise at finding the Empire Cafe.

Poor information in several reviews led me to believe the Empire was closed the night I was in town. What an unexpected surprise to seeing the Empire's "open" light burning as I happened by. We quickly skidded into the parking lot and made for the door.

Upon opening the menu we were further delighted to find delicious examples of well know vintners for as little as $5 a glass!!

The menu is limited, but each item we ordered is well thought out and well prepared. For the life of me I can not figure why locals were not lined up to get in.

Because Coos Bay is something of a wind whipped 'outpost' I don't see myself returning, but should you find yourself there, wondering what locals eat given the limited restaurant options, seek out the Empire Cafe. It will help you feel better about poor, chapped CB as a whole.

• Visited August 2012