“My favorite in town!”
Review of Sumin's Restaurant

Sumin's Restaurant
Ranked #19 of 79 Restaurants in Coos Bay
Cuisines: Korean
Description: Obvously not listed yet. Let me be the first; they deserve it.
Description: Obvously not listed yet. Let me be the first; they deserve it.
Coos Bay, Oregon, United States
“My favorite in town!”
Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

I think sumins has great food. The portions that I always get are good sized. I've never had any trouble with service either. The owner is the sushi chef and makes all the sushi to order. I haven't had a bad experience yet!

starbrandy
“Good food but a little expensive”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I like the sweet and sour chicken which is more of an orange sauce then the red which i like. My husband likes the Kung Pow which you can get it mild, medium and hot. It's a little high priced but worth it.

Visited January 2013
Coos Bay, Oregon
“Kitchen is filthy and the service is terrible”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

The food is pretty pricey for the portion size that you get, The wait staff is very slow and rude and when you walk by the kitchen it is so dirty inside. I will not be going back after seeing the kitchen so dirty and how slow and rude the waitresses were. They never check back to refill your water of bring you your bill when you are done eating, The food is just ok ! Not worth my time.

Visited February 2013
Salem, Oregon
“Awful.”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Visiting Coos Bay for the week, an acquaintance recommended Sumin's. Unfortunately, we ate there tonight.

First, the service was bad. It was also slow. There were 3 other tables with people (3-top, 4-top, single, and my wife and I) and a couple people at the Sushi bar. I watched another diner have to walk to the counter and ask the waitress for more water. I also had to ask for more water. And still our food did not arrive. About 25 minutes after ordering our food arrived. Waitress couldn't remember who ordered what: "It seems like forever since I took your order". It seemed like it to us as well.

I got a combination dinner #2. Chicken chow mein, sweet and sour pork, fried prawns, barbecue pork. The chicken chow mein was cool on the edges and piping hot in the middle and mostly without flavor.

My wife and I had quite a discussion about how it was possible for food to be that hot in the middle, yet cool on the outside. I’m sure some thermodynamic laws were violated, but I didn’t know what agency to make the report to.

The barbecue pork was barely warm. The sweet and sour pork was little morsels of inedible, incredibly chewy tasteless meat (probably meat. Yes, I think it had to be meat.) under a pineapple ring with a cherry. The meal came with fried rice that was made with some of the oldest leftover rice I’ve ever had. I would have thrown it out before making fried rice with it at home. Crunchy, yet stale at the same time. Another anomaly.

I was able to eat some of the chicken chow mein after a liberal dose of soy sauce. The only thing I enjoyed was the prawns...

...then I gave my prawns to my wife. She got Andy's special #3. Broccoli and beef with prawns and more of the God-awful sweet and sour pork. The broccoli was overcooked to the point of sogginess, which was nicely set off by the chewiness of the overcooked beef that was with it. She also experience the same thermodynamic anomaly that I noticed with my chicken chow mein. Fission maybe? Anyway, I gave her my prawns so she would at least have something she could eat.

The bill was $26.90. Almost all of the food went back uneaten. We couldn't bring ourselves to eat the fortune cookies that came with the bill. There is only so much disillusionment any normal person can take in one day.

The worst part is, I’m not normally someone who complains. Normally I vote with my feet if I don’t like a place. In my 50 years I have never before written any kind of review on a restaurant. I can't remember the last time I went out to eat and didn't clean my plate. Avoiding this place like the plague, though, won’t save others from being ripped off by Sumin’s.

In summary, this is absolutely, without a doubt, the worst food I have had in probably 30 years. I'm not talking the worst Chinese food, or the worst Asian food, or the worst non-American food, I'm talking hands-down the WORST FOOD I HAVE HAD IN MANY, MANY YEARS. After telling the waitress how bad the food was and giving her a 7% tip (yes, I overtipped for the service we got) I walked out of the joint disappointed, angry, suffering from a sour stomach and vowing to tell the world about the crappy food and service at Sumin's.

You couldn't force me to go back at gunpoint.

• Visited February 2013
3 Thank DavidinSalem
Oregon
“Good place to meet friends.”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Oriental food: very inexpensive, authentic, generous, we like it here. On a corner, it's easy to find. We like to meet friends here just before the wine-walk in the summer. Vegetarian plates available.

Visited July 2012