“Fine Hotel, 45 min by Green Line to Downtown Portland”

Monarch Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Clackamas
New York City, New York
“Fine Hotel, 45 min by Green Line to Downtown Portland”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I have choosen the Monarch Hotel in suburban Portland, OR and was satisfied with the amenities.
They have a shuttle van to/from the Airport, one just needs to give them a call from the airport for a pickup. Around 20min or so ride to the hotel from the Airport.
The room could be quite noisy at night because there is a highway nearby.
To get to downtown Portland on needs to take Green Line light rail.
The final stop on that train line is around 20 or so min walk from the hotel. The station is located
next to the shopping mall, and requires one to get precise directions from the hotel staff to get
to the station. Make sure you get back to the hotel at night before the light rail shuts down its service for the night.
If you drive, it is around 20 min to downtown, if you take the light rail Green Line, around 45 min plus wait time for the train.
There is Barnes and Noble bookstore, Target, Sears, Red Robbin eatery nearby.

Room Tip: Away from the highway noise
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank sbmvr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Arriving late afternoon we were able to take a swift cocktail before unpacking. The room was very comfortable with a more than adequate bathroom. The view of the freeway could be a bit disconcerting, but the double glazing eliminated the noise. The restarant was great for both dinner and breakfast with a menu to suit all tastes and ample coffee.
All in all a great place to stay and quite convenient [say 10 mins] for downtown Portland.

Room Tip: Avoid the freeway aspect.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Harry J
Oregon
Reviewed July 21, 2012

The Monarch Hotel was just fine! We arrived after 11pm. The hotel was sold out so we had no choice in rooms. But our rooms were quiet, clean and up to date. I had read the reviews and was nervous but I am happy to report, the Monarch was fine.
We had breakfast at the dining room in the lobby. Our waitress was very attentive and helpful.
Whew!

Room Tip: ask to be away from freeway 205.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Rosa111
Reviewed July 10, 2012

I looked up hotels in the Clackamus area. Monarch shows up as a 3 star hotel. I booked the reservation based on the star rating since most 3 star hotels are well kept and have a safe and clean environment.
Upon check in I was very disappointed by where it was located. It was not very well lit and there seemed to have a lot of garbage around the entrance. I was traveling with my baby and felt a little nervous about the location.
When you first walk in you see that the hotel is rundown and has a very strong odor of cigarette ssmoke and deodorizer.
The lady at the front desk was very professional. I asked if my room was smoke free she said I was on a non smoking floor.
As I walked to my room I noticed trash and dirty dishes everywhere. I got to my floor and a strong odor of smoke cigarettes was in the air. I walked into the room it was dark and dirty. The sink was filthy the bathroom was dirty. And it looked out over the roof. Very small room. I called down to get another room. The lady at the front desk was very professional and gave me another room.
The second room had dirty dishes outside the door. I walked in and noticed again the room was dark and dirty. But it was late and I was tired and decided to stay in the room. As I went to bed I noticed that the sheets were not washed. There was body hair in the sheets. A lot of body hair. I grabbed a blanket and slept on the top of the bed.
As I left for my meeting I noticed that there was no cups in my room and no tea or coffee. I asked the front desk they do not have complimentary tea or coffee. This is suppose to be a 3 star hotel!!!! Not in my book. I have stayed at over a 100 hotels this is by far the worst hotel I have stayed at. It reminded me of a motel 6. Do not stay at this hotel if you are traveling by yourself.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank galvan1589
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 10, 2012

stayed one night here last summer. Got there late and they couldn't accomodate our request for 2 rooms on the same floor, so we were split up. Rooms are your standard fare, really nothing stands out. Room was clean and as requested we had 2 double beds. THe location of this place is great! its near the target and nordstrom rack and then A little bit further is Clackamas mall. We went to Gustavs for happy hour which is ont he other side of the freeway and its a great place to eat for late night! I'd stay here again however in Portland I find the convention centre area a little more convenient.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 6, 2012

My flight was delayed, so I ended up at PDX later than expected. I called the Monarch Hotel who dispatched the shuttle to pick me up. Although a flight crew was due to be picked up a half hour later, the driver picked me up immediately, dropped me off at the hotel, and then returned to the airport to pick up the crew. After a long travel day, I was grateful to not have to wait the half hour when it would have been more convenient for the driver to make one trip instead of two. I stayed in a spacious king jacuzzi suite on the main level. With windows closed, the highway noise was not disruptive. Since I am a light sleeper, I travel with ear plugs anyway. There seemed to be a sports tournament in the area, so the hotel was abuzz with young people, but they quieted down by 11 pm.

Breakfast was served in the sunny dining area. Like other reviewers, I recommend the delicious oatmeal. Sunday brunch was a treat! I ran into an old friend at lunch on the second day, and we lingered to chat. The wait staff did not shoo us away even though the restaurant was closed for the afternoon.

The hotel is clean, the staff are extremely helpful and friendly, providing directions and recommendations for shopping. The price is right and the location is close to Reed College, the destination of my conference. I recommend the Monarch Hotel and would stay there on my next trip to Portland.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
West Coast
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for a softball tournament at the Hoodview Softball complex. The hotel is situated in an excellent area, near freeway, shopping and dining. It was also very comfortable and clean. Really great shopping within walking distance to hotel. Had a very nice outdoor pool area which we did not have time to enjoy.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not bordering the freeway. We could hear the freeway noise at night.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clackamas
Courtyard Portland Southeast/Clackamas
Best Western Plus Rivershore Hotel
Sunnyside Inn and Suites
Sunnyside Inn and Suites
#7 of 8 in Clackamas

Been to Monarch Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!