“acceptable stay”

Ranked #1 of 2 Chemult B&B and Inns
Ames, Iowa
“acceptable stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012

Clean and comfortable room and bed. Hotel built 1929. Old building charm. No air. It was upper 70s with 2 fans very comfortable at night. Very nice and helpful owner. Appreciated refrigorator and microwave. Across from Pilot gas rather noisy all night. We are sound sleepers so it did not bother us very much.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2012

From the photos and reviews, I expected it to be a bit different, but not dusty, smelly, and extremely shabby. Needs a good old clean, and white clean cotton bed linen would be much better than the ones used.
Bathroom needs a bit of an jup date and good old lean too!
Only stay at your peril!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sharon D
dillard, oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

This lodge was old with old wiring and no A/C. You need that in the summer in Chemult Oregon. We expected old and rustic and we got it. We checked in about 3:00 p.m. and were not told that the rooms had not a/c. when showed the rooms they had fans blowing and I thought it was great to be energy efficient. We then went out for a day in the sun and upon our return at around 9:00 p.m. were surpirsed to find a very uncomfortable evening of sweating and tossing and turning. Ick, no cross ventilation or air flow of any kind. The bed even slanted crooked to one side. We wanted rustic and we got it. The t.v. was placed precariously on a small dressor with the cable boxes stacked on it. the plugs were all 2 prong and antiquated to solve this they had a three prong plug installed to handle a power strip. oh my goodness. O.k. so here is the good part of the review, it is pretty historic and would probly be neet in the winter if you were passing through and had no other options.

Room Tip: use AAA, AARP, CDL or military discount
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank karl_Oregon
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2011

We stayed here one night on the way to the Crater Lake. We were 2 couples travelling together and shared the Loft. It was huge and spacious(can easily sleep 6-7 adults), but not terribly clean. The bathroom was about ok. The thing that put me off was that there was no sink in the bathroom - you have a common sink for the bathroom and the kitchen. They do have a full kitchen, but I would use my own silverware and dishes if I were to use it.
Free coffee in the lobby 24 hours is a plus.Also, it is just about 30 mins to the north entrance of the park, which is a good deal.
We had the windows closed all the time since the room was air conditioned, so the noise was not a big deal.
Overall, I would probably stay here again if they cleaned it up a bit more. Friendly proprietors.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Oneonta, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2011

This was an okay stay. I knew the rooms would be small, but I thought the theme would compensate. I had no idea how noisy the road would be, so the room fan helped alot to drown out the noise. Some of the rooms were ok, but not the Cowboy - only a really small window, limited air movement (except the fan), only table had the frig and microwave on top.

Bathroom and bath was great, wall hangings were cute. Bed was one of the best we have slept on. Owners very friendly. A little re-arranging and add a bigger window. Outside veranda was nice for evenings.

We ate at KJs Cafe. I think there are areas they can really improve on with the food prep. Good ice cream though at the little mini-mart next door.

Just about $15 per night over priced. Probably would not stay here again although it is close to Crater Lake National Park which is a plus.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Salem, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2011

My two children and I stopped here on a road trip, and used this as our home base the day we went to Crater Lake. It was a comfortable drive from the park, and that was nice. It is a little shabby around the edges, but with the rustic look and vintage-themed decor, it actually kind of works. We stayed in one of the upstairs rooms, and that was worth the extra few dollars. I had a very comfortable full bed, my daughter slept on a twin bed, and there was a trundle bed underneath for my son. The bathroom was very clean and there was a nice big tub - very rare on road trips, and a welcome treat. Colleen was helpful and friendly, and her all-natural bug spray is GREAT - we used it the whole rest of our trip. We weren't especially bothered by the truck noise, although the train does get the place rumbling. Definitely good value for our money when we were on a long trip and trying to make the dollars stretch.

Room Tip: There is not a big price difference between upstairs and downstairs - upstairs is well worth it!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2011

I was very disappointed in this lodge. The website showed photos that were a lot nicer looking then the actual room. The lighting was not good for any nightlime reading, the ceiling fam was not over them bed, which meant it was very stuffy in the room. Only two small windows, no cross ventilation. I kept stepping on 'stuff' on the floor. Glad I had my socks on. Noise is an issue, but that is not the owner's fault. It is no longer a B&B, gotta find breakfast on your own. I will not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Quilter33
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chemult
Woodsman Country Lodge
#1 of 1 in Idleyld Park
Shelter Cove Resort & Marina
Shelter Cove Resort & Marina
#1 of 3 in Crescent Lake

Been to Dawson House Lodge? Share your experiences!