“Stopped here on the way to Crater Lake, and we'll be back.”
Review of Dawson House Lodge

Dawson House Lodge
Ranked #2 of 2 Chemult B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 15, 2011

My two children and I stopped here on a road trip, and used this as our home base the day we went to Crater Lake. It was a comfortable drive from the park, and that was nice. It is a little shabby around the edges, but with the rustic look and vintage-themed decor, it actually kind of works. We stayed in one of the upstairs rooms, and that was worth the extra few dollars. I had a very comfortable full bed, my daughter slept on a twin bed, and there was a trundle bed underneath for my son. The bathroom was very clean and there was a nice big tub - very rare on road trips, and a welcome treat. Colleen was helpful and friendly, and her all-natural bug spray is GREAT - we used it the whole rest of our trip. We weren't especially bothered by the truck noise, although the train does get the place rumbling. Definitely good value for our money when we were on a long trip and trying to make the dollars stretch.

Room Tip: There is not a big price difference between upstairs and downstairs - upstairs is well worth it!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed July 12, 2011

I was very disappointed in this lodge. The website showed photos that were a lot nicer looking then the actual room. The lighting was not good for any nightlime reading, the ceiling fam was not over them bed, which meant it was very stuffy in the room. Only two small windows, no cross ventilation. I kept stepping on 'stuff' on the floor. Glad I had my socks on. Noise is an issue, but that is not the owner's fault. It is no longer a B&B, gotta find breakfast on your own. I will not stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Quilter33
Reviewed June 27, 2011

This place was homey, comfortable and rustic, with antique dolls and other knick-knacks in the decor. Could have been a bit cleaner, but I found it acceptable. My room was upstairs with no A/C; cooled by a ceiling fan. I had to close the windows and use ear plugs because there is quite a bit of large truck traffic in Chemult on Highway 97. (I don't think there is any way to avoid the noise unless you can find a place quite a ways from the highway.)

The proprietor was gracious and helpful, offering free locally made herbal juniper spray to ward off mosquitos. (I purchased a bottle from the lodge, and made good use of it while in the area during this late, wet spring!)

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Geogirl456
Reviewed October 25, 2010

We were visiting Crater Lake and the lodge at the park was closed. Dawson House is a little rough around the edges. We made the mistake of taking the outdoor staircase and having to climb around a wheelbarrow. The room had a great bed (too high for me) made out of logs. My husband loved it. The room doesn't have enough lighting. We could barely read. It is also unfortunately very noisy because of all the truck traffic on Route 97, plus a train that shook the building. The other downside is that they don't serve any food and the only restaurant in town, Loree's Chalet, is really awful. Under no cirmcumstances eat there. The service is appalling and the food equally so. Worst meal we had in Oregon.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2010

The lodge is old, dating from early last century, I think, antiquated, but clean.Some rooms were underoing renovation, and that "old" smell was there, but the rooms we were in had been adequately renovated. Beds are comfortable. Noise from trucks and traffic, since it sits right on the main highway. Proprietors are friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 18, 2010

My husband and I were travelling with another couple in the Crater Lake area and needed a room at the last minute. We made a reservation for Dawson becasue it was the only hotel in the area with a room available. The other couple and us shared one room wtih a queen and a double bed. The ladies at check-in were very friendly and there was no hassle. The hotel lobby was interesting...Christmas trees and dolls were the theme (even though it was August). THe hotel was not large and was rather old. The room was small, but not uncomfortable. It was clean, with nice tv and dvd equipment (dvd rentals available at front desk), and comfy, homey bedding. The room was not over $65 which we all thought was a good value for what we got. Nothing fancy, just a clean, comfy room for the night.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 11, 2010

This is an old building but I felt it could have been cleaner. The bathtub was not very clean, things were dusty and it over all it felt dirty. The outside could have been better taken care of. The pictures on their website is it looking its best. The Lodge sits right on the highway so you hear all the traffic all night and then a train went through. It served our purpose for a place to sleep but I doubt I would stay there again. The other thing is everyone has different standard levels. I guess my standard is high.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CindyLou28
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chemult
Woodsman Country Lodge
#2 of 2 in Chemult
Lemolo Lake Resort
Lemolo Lake Resort
#1 of 1 in Idleyld Park

Been to Dawson House Lodge? Share your experiences!