“Great vs other options in the area”

Captain John's Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Charleston
Indianapolis
“Great vs other options in the area”
Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

I can't rate this higher than a 3 because it's a very basic motel. However, our room was very clean and had a refrigerator and microwave. The staff members were very friendly and helpful. There are two restaurants within about a block - went to the sports bar and it was pretty good as well.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Grants Pass, Oregon
Reviewed December 31, 2013

I've read some unreasonable reviews, and am frankly amazed. I have stayed at this no-frills motel several times over the past 30 years, and keep coming back. The present owners work hard to provide a pleasant experience for guests; improvements have been made that serve to enhance the quality of ones' stay. The fish cleaning room is the outstanding feature of the motel (in my opinion), but the rooms are clean and comfortable. Unfortunately, too many people are rude, lazy, illiterate slobs who feel entitled to demand steak and lobster on a hamburger budget. These rubes lack common courtesy, a sense of decorum, and social grace... AND teach their progeny the same bad manners. Perhaps they should simply STAY HOME.

Room Tip: Bottom floor is easier access, but expect to hear people tromping around in the room above you... sh...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank BvrFvr
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed December 29, 2013

If you are looking for a fancy room with an ocean view, keep looking. We love this place! Yes, the rooms are in need of update. Yes, there is a smell of low tide in the air (you are minutes from it). Yes, it looks like it was in it's prime in the 1960's. BUT.. the owner/managers are great people - always ready with a smile and curious to see our latest catch from the sea. The crab and fish cleaning station are a blessing when there is a line to clean fish at the boat ramp. There is plenty of parking for all of us with boats!! And... it's not even 5-minutes from the boat launch!! So.. if you are looking for a honeymoon hotel (I stayed here in 1990 on mine) or a fruit basket in your room with a chocolate and turned down bedding.. shop elsewhere. But we don't hesitate to stay here!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mari B
Larkspur, Colorado
Reviewed November 17, 2013

We stayed here as part of a 101 HWY journey and was grateful for a motel in this location. However, the dream stopped there. The rooms are in huge need of updates. The cleanliness was not there. Our TV did not work and our bathtub did not drain to the point where it filled up during a brief shower, and could have caused a flood in the room.

When I spoke of the problems upon check out, the Owner/Manager said that I did not know what I was talking about. He was rude and argumentative, instead of apologetic. The price was not reasonable considering the condition of the rooms. You have to pay much more for a king size bed instead of two tiny double beds. Other customers checking in at the same time i was, said that this information was not disclosed when checking in. This is a historical area but I cannot recommend this place. You would think they would have something besides burned coffee in the morning for the price.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Oceandweller7

Travelers are raving about these Charleston hotels

Sandpoint, Idaho
Reviewed October 27, 2013

This motel fits right into the harbor atmosphere and general fishing village that is Charleston. It is an older building that the owners work to keep up. The on site fish house is perfect for guests with boats who can clean their catches, whether it be salmon, tuna or crab. Security is good, the owners smile and are very accommodating. Kitchens are good for simple meals. Worth a few days stay to visit Cape Arago and Sunset Beach, as well as for buying fish and crab. Beds are comfortable, rooms are clean. Owners plant and tend to beautiful flower gardens around the buildings in spring, summer and early fall.

Room Tip: For quieter experience, choose upstairs room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Great place! The owners were very friendly. The room was spartan but clean and the bed was one of the comfortable I have ever slept in. Previous reviewers whine about the lack of amenities as though this was a four-star palace. You get what you pay for people! Seems like everyone wants something for nothing. Anyways, this place delivers charm, peace, cleanliness and value...and that's plenty for me. Who cares if it doesn't have an in-room coffee maker? Do you really need that? Yeah? Then go stay at one of the skeezy meth-head motels in downtown Coos Bay. They won't have authentic Chinese brush paintings in their rooms, but it'll be interesting! Captain John's is safe, clean, and they even have donuts ready for you in the morning. Folks, it just can't get any better than that! Yaaaar!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Leezard123
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Reviewed March 3, 2013

My sister and I took a trip this weekend to Charleston. I made all the rooming arrangements on line prior to our arrival. After I booked our reservation I read some really bad reviews, needless to say I was a little anxious about staying here (I hadn't told my sister about any of the reviews). We arrived very late but called to let them know we would be late. The hosts were waiting up for us when we arrived and were very pleasant and provided lots of information on the area. We arrived at our room and I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel is old but well kept. Our room was not fancy by any means (No in room coffee maker, no blow dryer, no little complementary bottles of personal care products, no phone) but it was very, very clean . The bed and pillows were clean and very comfortable. The staff are awesome, and the location is excellent. We went walking all the docks and surrounding areas. Lots of nice little shops and bakeries. Charter fishing and clamming right outside your door. I will definately stay here again, as a matter of fact, I looked at their family room so next time I can bring my husband and grandchildren, and we are already planning our next trip. If you want a hotel with great prices, clean and comfortable room and a location that can't be beat, then this is the place you want to stay, I highly recommend it!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Free2BmeLAK
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charleston
Plainview Motel & RV Park
Red Lion Hotel Coos Bay
#2 of 7 in Coos Bay
Quality Inn & Suites at Coos Bay
Super 8 Coos Bay/North Bend

Been to Captain John's Motel? Share your experiences!