“Clean stay, bad attitude”

Best Western Plus Columbia River Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Cascade Locks
Reviewed July 6, 2014

The room was very clean and comfortable, had a great view, and had great cable and internet. I grew up around trains, so the one outside our window every few hours was really cool to hear. Front desk and check-in went well, but I get the feeling the forced friendliness is exactly that. The breakfast experience was very disappointing. The young lady who took our order at the counter morphed into a rude little brat when we produced our vouchers. It took 30 minutes for the food to arrive, we sat at a dirty table the whole time, she literally slammed my plate down before rolling her eyes and walking away. The food was cold and very much undercooked. The people next to us were trying desperately to get her attention, but she just walked away. Very rude service on her part. This is a great small town in a beautiful area. It is really too bad they don't treat tourists more appreciatively. For $199/night, I think I will find somewhere else to stay next year.

Room Tip: Second floor jacuzzi tub in the room is nice. Very private, clean, and a good way to watch the sunse...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Sandy P, General Manager at Best Western Plus Columbia River Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2014

I am so very sorry that your feel my staff at the hotel is not genuine and friendly, we have received many awards for our Customer Care and we do take this to heart. I have had extensive conversations with the restaurant next door to insure what you experienced does not happen again and they agree, this is not what they want. My staff and I thank you for staying with us and we hope that you will be able to give us a second chance.

Reviewed July 5, 2014

Good - Check in was very pleasant and the ladies were efficient, friendly and know their jobs. There is nice bold coffee in the lobby at all times (although I was disappointed that the French Vanilla creamer available on the first day was not available for the remainder of the week). Our room had a sink just as you step in with a granite countertop at a nice height. Just past the sink counter was a refrigerator and microwave. The toilet and shower were separate. The TV was on a tall dresser and was huge, probably 42”, and they had lots of TV channels. There was a bench that we used to set one of our suitcases on and a luggage rack for the other. The room had lots of space to move around and included a king size bed and love seat, desk and chair. The room was comfortable and well appointed. The AC was positioned well so it did not blow cold air on your head while you tried to sleep (I encountered this problem two years ago when I stayed here). They had a nice size whirlpool tub in the pool area that was very welcome - I’d have liked the water to be a tad warmer.

Not good - The light on the wall just as you entered the room actually controlled the light above the sink. The result was you encountered a very strong light instead of a lower wattage hallway light - I found this overwhelming when I entered the room. The internet was inconsistent. Sometimes it would seriously slow down (almost stop) and I can only assume that the cause was other guests on-line activity/downloads. Breakfast has changed as the new owners of the Char Grill restaurant next door also purchased the hotel. They no longer have a breakfast buffet so breakfast is available at the Char Burger. Breakfast doesn’t start until 7:00 a.m. which is late for a hotel breakfast. They let you order one “item” which can be granola with yogurt, oatmeal with a pear, or larger plates with eggs to order, meat and bread. You do not get any juice and, if you like to have yogurt and oatmeal, you must pay $7 for the extra item. The options almost force you to make unhealthy choices since you can have either “oatmeal” or “two eggs, hash browns, toast, and choice of sausage, bacon or ham”. Of course the coupons you receive make certain to tell you that the “complimentary” breakfast does not include gratuity. Well…you go through a cafeteria style serving line so I am not certain why gratuities are being requested? This breakfast change was very disappointing as the hotel previously had a wonderful breakfast buffet (served in the hotel) with great sausage gravy, scrambled eggs, waffle maker, yogurt, real oatmeal, juices, assorted cereals and breads. One good thing about the current breakfast is that they have killer peppered bacon - I ate way too much of the stuff!!

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AGoingGal
Sandy P, General Manager at Best Western Plus Columbia River Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2014

Thank you for staying with us again and for your comments on the breakfast next door, this is a new project for us and we will be having many discussions on how to improve, I will bring your comments to the table. I am sorry we ran out of French Vanilla creamer.
I am excited for our new guest room lighting package that will address some of the issues for you. It appears we did not meet all of your expectations, but I invite your to return and stay with us again in the beautiful Columbia River Gorge.

Reviewed July 5, 2014

Our room had two queen beds, a loveseat and coffee table, table w/two easy chairs, flat screen TV, twin sinks, and microwave/mini-fridge. The bedding and window treatments were very nice quality. We had time to enjoy the indoor pool, which was a little larger than some hotel pools. When you check in you receive a voucher for breakfast the the cafe next door. Our room overlooked the Columbia River. While there were trains running on the tracks below, they didn't bother us (the rooms also come with ear plugs).

Room Tip: Corner rooms are more spacious and have windows on both exterior walls.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

I am please your enjoyed your guest room and the view from our rooms of the mighty Columbia River and the Cascade Mountain range. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you will return to the Gorge and invite you to stay with us again.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

My family loved our stay! The room was very clean and comfortable with a beautiful view. The staff was so friendly and accommodating. We will look for Best Western Plus Hotels on all of our journeys from here on out. I hope that the rest are up to this standard.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Sandy P, General Manager at Best Western Plus Columbia River Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2014

Thank you for your lovely comments, we are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you will return soon and stay with us again.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

I had the best time staying at the Best Western, Cascade locks and not only were the rooms clean. The pool and spa were clean and the staff were very friendly and helpful. My favorite part was the fact that we got a free breakfast next door at a beautiful restaurant where we sat overlooking the river and the historic Bridge of The Gods! My friends and I had a wonderful time and will be staying there again!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you so much for your positive comments and for staying with us. We know how lucky we are to have the incredible views out our windows. The entire staff hopes you will return to the Gorge and invite you to stay with us again.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

Being from the East Coast, Best Western has a rather poor reputation. I went into this hoping the location would outweigh any negatives the hotel offered. I was very surprised to find an excellent place to stay on a budget. Our room had a balcony overlooking the Columbia River. It was one of the cleanest places I have ever stayed. The beds were very comfortable, and the pool was clean and heated. The view was breathtaking. The Bridge of the Gods, Columbia River and Washington State right out of our window. Could not have asked for a better location. The breakfast vouchers are for a non-attached restaurant and you might as well order extra bacon ahead of time. They give you plenty, but you will want more. Hands down, the best "Hotel" breakfast ever. Highly recommended Hotel

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

I am so pleased we met your expectations, also that your gave Best Western as a whole another chance, thank you for staying with us. We are so very lucky to call home the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area and yes you are correct the view from our window is stunning. The breakfast next door is new for us and we are excited that this also met with your approval. If you travel to the WEST Coast again we invite you to stay with us again.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

Very nice hotel with a wonderful view of the Columbian River. Pet freindly with a nice area to walk your dog; however, the facility needs to have bags available inwhich to pick-up after your pet. Breakfast at the restaurant next door was good.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Sandy P, General Manager at Best Western Plus Columbia River Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2014

I am pleased you enjoyed the breakfast next door, this is a new venture for us and we are excited about it. Thank your for staying with us and we hope you will return to historic Cascade Locks and the Columbia River Gorge.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cascade Locks
#7 of 8 in Hood River
Hood River Hotel
Hood River Hotel
#6 of 8 in Hood River

Been to Best Western Plus Columbia River Inn? Share your experiences!