“Beware of the trains”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Cascade Locks
Dallas, TX
“Beware of the trains”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed here for two nights in June 2013. There are about 4-5 trains that go by each hour. At night, they just went by, but in the morning, they were blowing their horns as they went by. They offer ear plugs if you need them. Once I got to sleep, I slept through it, but if you are a light sleeper, I would try another hotel in another town because everything is next to the train.

The room was okay. It is obvious that they did a semi remodel but the finishings were still cheap and the layout was weird. They have double sinks in the middle of the room. Also, the toilet is kid sized and low to the floor. We had a balcony room, so we could see the view of the river and the passing boats.

The staff did not know much about the area. Which is weird since there isn't much around there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sandy P, General Manager at Best Western Plus Columbia River Inn, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Guest,
I am sorry the trains on both sides of the river gave you a bad time, if I could move them today I would. It is unfortunate for the National Scenic Area to have them, however they were here before the Scenic Act and we must work with them and so that is why we provide ear plugs which I realize is little help for some guest. We appreciate your stay and hope that you will come see us again, stay on the hillside and enjoy all that the Columbia River Gorge has to offer.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
Oxford N J
Reviewed June 23, 2013

This is a great hotel to relax and recoup. The rooms are clean, spacious, with very comfortable beds. We had a balcony room overlooking the Columbia River - amazing! The train made very little noise so we did not need the earplugs provided in the room. Pool was a perfect temperature and the hot tub was very soothing. The staff are very helpful and suggested a wonderful restaurant. Be sure to purchase some smoked salmon from Joe Fish who sells it from the tent next door to the hotel.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms have amazing views - train makes very little noise
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Sandy P, General Manager at Best Western Plus Columbia River Inn, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay at our hotel in the Columbia River Gorge. We are so lucky to have a wonderful view. We do hope you will return and take in all the National Scenic Area has to offer.
Saint Charles, Missouri
Reviewed June 21, 2013

This was our first time here and it was beyond our expectations. The room was very nice and comfortable. The breakfast was what you want in a breakfast. the entire hotel was clean and the staff friendly. The only drawback was the town lacks a little in restaurants. But that is not a knock against the hotel. This hotel was perfectly located in the gorge to use as a jumping off place for the many hikes we did. Highly recommend.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JC_2kids
Sandy P, General Manager at Best Western Plus Columbia River Inn, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
I am pleased you had a good time and enjoyed your room, you are so very right we are a small town and not much as far as restaurants go but we have exciting news; the restaurant next door is getting a new face lift and menu. We hope that you will return and enjoy all that Cascade Locks and the National Scenic Area has to offer.
Merced, California
Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

This was my first stay at this motel, and I know it won't be the last. Check- in was efficient and friendly, my room faced the river and I had a great view of The Bridge of the Gods. The room was clean, large, and the bed was comfortable. I was very busy photographing the bridge from various angles during the day, and in the evening sat on the couch, window open, looking at the bridge. Each BW is just a bit different. This one had ear plugs in the room, which was a nice and important touch. Turns out I didn't need them. The bridge noise in the background and occasionally the train serve as white noise when the windows are closed.
Breakfast in the morning was standard BW with a well managed breakfast bar. Good coffee. There is something for nearly everybody except Vegans.
Best features: the river and the bridge. Gathering room with great river views.
Worst: my window had a big blob of bird poop. It really detracts from the view. The building next door is kind of dilapitaded and houses a nice gift shop and a restaurant. The restaurant did not look clean and the help was sitting in front of the building smoking. Very unappetizing. It's very sad. With a view like that I'd expect a restaurant to be like The Cliff House in San Francisco!

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Cali4niahiker
Sandy P, General Manager at Best Western Plus Columbia River Inn, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Dear Guest, we are delighted you had a good time with us. The Columbia River Gorge has so much to offer, I never get tired of the view from the property. Hey we got the "blob" off the window and hope you will come see us again.
Baker City
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I really enjoyed this Best Western. The beds was very comfortable. The room was very clean. We got a room with a balcony and a view of the river. I think that was the best part of the room. Very hot water which is always a plus. Indoor pool with a hot tub that was most relaxing.
The front desk gives you ear plugs because the train runs several times, day and night. That did not bother our family to much.

Room Tip: If you do not want to hear the train, do not face out to the river.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Sandy P, General Manager at Best Western Plus Columbia River Inn, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
I am pleased you enjoyed your balcony room; if I could move that train track I would do it today. The great thing is, the view is fabulous of the Columbia River. Thank you for staying with us and we invite you to return.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cascade Locks
#7 of 8 in Hood River
Timberline Lodge
Timberline Lodge
#1 of 1 in Timberline Lodge

Been to Best Western Plus Columbia River Inn? Share your experiences!