“great hospitality, beautiful setting, awesome scones”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Carlton
Brookside Inn on Abbey Road
Ranked #3 of 5 Carlton B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 7, 2008

I agree with what all the other 5-star reviewers have written! Bruce and Susan were great hosts and felt like family to us. Bruce let us eat raw scone batter, what could be finer!
They arranged a private tour of Bergstrom winery for us on very short notice and recommended a great restaurant (Tinas).
The setting of the inn is idyllic and forested with beautiful gardens. The room was small but we hardly spent any time there.
Their dog Mondo is incredibly friendly and sweet (but needs a little lotion for his semi-crusty nose)

Stayed: May 2008

Reviewed May 3, 2008

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Brookside. It became more than just a place to stay; it enriched the whole weekend.

My wife and I went to wine country in Oregon (Willamette Valley). I planned the trip (it was a surprise to her) and spoke to dozens of B/Bs in the area. I picked Brookside because the website pictures looked great, Susan and Bruce, the Inkeepers, were very helpful in planning the trip, and the price was reasonable relative to many others (though not cheap). Susan actually talked to me about my whole plan and gave me good advice about where to focus my time, which I'm glad she did.

Brookside is close to everything you'd want to do in that area. I HIGHLY recommend the Painted Lady for dinner (in Newport, 15 minutes away).

Brookside has beautiful, spacious grounds. While you are very near the town of Carlton (what there is of it) you feel very isolated and in the country. Fantastic trees surround the Inn. There is a trout-stocked pond you can fish, but recommend waders at a minimum as back-casting is obstructed.

Bruce and Susan are great hosts. They know the area well and can make good touring and food suggestions. Bruce is a great conversationalist if you want to sit, have a glass of wine, and wax philosophical. They have a fantastically large dog (Mondo, a Newfoundland). People who love dogs will find Mondo a plus. They do a good job of keeping Mondo contained for meals, etc. Bruce and Susan are not native to this area. Owning this Inn and becoming Inn keepers is a complete change of pace from their previous career driven lives. I mention this because you get a sense of their appreciation for the Inn, for the country-side. In fact, you benefit from this because their peace and enthusiasm rubs off on you.

Breakfast is extremely well done at the Inn. Deep, rich coffee. Homemade scones with blueberries, sometimes blackberries picked from behind the Inn. Fresh orange juice. Homemade granola with hazelnuts, the fresh blackberries in a creamy yogurt. I'm getting hungry thinking about it. There is also a protein course (usually eggs) that follows all of that, if you can believe it. We never needed to eat lunch after the breakfasts.

They have an eye for the nicer things. It shows in the quality of the breakfast, the thick towels, the high end shampoo and conditioner, the well selected bottle of wine in our room when we got there (which had been thoughtfully re-corked and refrigerated after we rushed in and rushed out on our way).

In the interest of objectivity, here are some facts about the Inn you should consider.

The rooms are small. This did not bother us because we weren't there to spend time in the room. The bed was fine (great sheets). But if you need an expansive room, just know they are not.

This probably isn't the best choice for kids, unless you were booking fully the cabin outside the main house. That being said, there is a very large, grassy field that would give some rambunctious kids running room.

We would definitely ocome back here. The inn is tastefully done, beautiful. Mondo is my hero. Bruce and Susan are delightful people who make it more than a hotel stay.

That's all I can think of. Go, stay at the Brookside.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 14, 2008

This is what the best of a B and B is all about. Bruce and Susan are gracious and welcoming hosts, and very knowledgeable about the area. They are also great storytellers. The setting is absolutely lovely. Bruce's breakfast blueberry scones are the best ever.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 18, 2008

The Brookside Inn in Carlton, Oregon is exceptional. The Inn is beautiful. The 22 acres are breathtaking with many places to walk and reflect. The bed was the most comfortable I have experienced. Susan and Bruce Bandstra are warm and hospitable: they go way beyond being gracious and helpful. Bruce is a gourmet cook; so, breakfast is a culinary feast.

In short, go as soon as you can. You will want to return again and again.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 4, 2008

Living in the city, we are use to noise. So much so, that I was afraid that I wouldn't fall asleep with out a siren blarring outside. The babbiling brook & chirpping frogs outside our window lulled me to sleep. The Brookside Inn is charming, private, clean, and felt like a home away from home. Within 20 minutes of our arrival, Bruce & Susan (Inns keepers) made our dinner reservations at an oustanding local establishment.

We were missing our dog that we had left behind with a sitter. It good for the soul to meet the inn mascot Mondo! What a gentle giant. He even gave us a guided tour around the pond without Bruce & Susan. Innskeepers encourage guests to sit in the great room of the main lodge to enjoy the company of other guests. The beds are very comfortable and the quality of linens and towels high. Morning coffee & breakfast is not to be missed. The scones were mind blowing and we look forward to trying the receipe at home. Get to know the inn keepers, they are very knowledgable about the Valley and will steer to you in the right dirction to whether you choose to taste wine or dine in style. Overall the experience exceeded our expectations. We look forward to a warm weather return so that we can truly enjoy the gorgeous grounds including a large pond and brook; thus the name!

Reviewed February 21, 2008

My husband and I went down to Carlton for a weekend wine tasting. One of the wineries that we regularly visit recommended Brookeside-Inn. Our trip was amazing and staying here made it even better. We stayed in the Kyoto room for 2 nights. It was a lovely room with a large (very comfortable) bed and a private bath. The view into the garden was beautiful! Bruce gave us choices for breakfast but I don't think it would have mattered what we chose. The food was amazing both mornings. We had yogurt and scones both mornings and one day we had hazelnut blueberry pancakes with home made sausage and the other we had scrambled eggs with ground prosciutto. Both were excellent! On Saturday Bruce gave us recommendations of which wineries to visit based on our preferences and we found this to be very helpful. I will be recommending Brookesite-Inn to any friend/family member that is going down to Carlton! And we will goback as well!

Reviewed February 18, 2008

My husband and I stayed at this wonderful Inn for 2 nights on our 1st wedding anniversary. Thanks to a glowing referral from a local wine tasting room we were saved from our less than romantic hotel and sent to meet Bruce and Susan. We drove up to the Inn past the private pond and knew we were somewhere special. The innkeepers met us and set us up with their nicest room, as we were visiting in the off season in the middle of the week we were lucky enough to be the only guests and couldn't believe our luck. After heading out for dinner we returned to the quiet cottage and unpacked in the spacious room. We climbed into the king sized bed and slept better than on any vacation we can remember. The amazing sheets and blankets and quiet environment was a welcome change from the creaky and musty b and b's we had experienced.

We woke up to the smell of fresh french press coffee and homemade scones, and were treated to 2 different gourmet breakfasts - my husband can't stop talking about the wet eggs with proscuitto.

I could go on forever about this great place, but if you are planning a trip to Oregon wine country and you enjoy the beauty of nature and the comforts of a one of a kind Inn run by two amazing and interesting people, this is the place to stay. We will be back, and we will never forget the amazing time we had.

• Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Brookside Inn on Abbey Road? Share your experiences!