“Lovely Inn in a great location”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Carlton
Brookside Inn on Abbey Road
Ranked #3 of 5 Carlton B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 20, 2011

We loved the Brookside Inn. Susan is a wonderful host - very helpful and the food was fabulous. The location is central to many wineries and restaurants. She was knowledgable about the area and helpful. Our room was lovely - they aren't giant rooms, but they are well decorated and clean. The common area is very nice as well.

There are newer reviews for Brookside Inn on Abbey Road

Reviewed September 19, 2011

Our weekend at the Brookside Inn was everything we had hoped for and more. The innkeeper was personable and knowledgeable about area restaurants and wineries. We loved relaxing in and around the inn. The front porch and the pond were tranquil retreats. The room was clean and comfortable, breakfast was delicious and it had all the comforts of home. If you want to feel relaxed at the end of your weekend, this is the place to retreat to. We'll definitely be back.

Reviewed September 7, 2011

The first thing that hit us when we walked in was an overwhelming smell of wet dog and kitty litter. The rooms were much smaller than what we expected and you can hear everything that goes on in the other rooms and in the "great room". We were also disappointed in the restaurant recommendations and the breakfast that was served. It was edible but not exceptional. Overall we were very disappointed. This was our "splurge" and it turned out to be the worst accommodations of the entire 2 week trip.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
brookside_mgt, Owner at Brookside Inn on Abbey Road, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2011

As owner, host, innkeeper and cook of Brookside Inn, I am reviewing the issue regarding our dogs very seriously. Brookside Inn has been in operation for over four years and in the last six weeks we have received three comments regarding a strong smell of dogs. I do not take those comments lightly and am taking several steps to resolve this issue. You are welcome to review my response to the other two reviews.

This must have been a particularly humid day, which always tends to bring out any smells that are present in a home. We have two Newfoundlands, who are our very exuberant greeters if it is okay with our guests. If not, they stay behind closed doors in the evening. They are not allowed anywhere near the serving of breakfast. I am not certain why a smell of kitty litter would be present as we do not use kitty litter. Our two very friendly cats are outdoor cats.

Since this is the third review and response regarding our dogs, I trust anyone reading this will realize our Inn is not a place you will be able to enjoy if you do not like dogs. We are dog friendly for all the rooms in our carriage house.

I usually strongly encourage our guests to review the area restaurants on our website prior to arrival—there are links to each restaurant, allowing review of menu and price points. If our guests have not made advance arrangements for dinner, I provide a list of restaurants we enjoy and others in the valley enjoy--both locals and visitors. I state which ones I prefer if I am asked. I do this as a courtesy to our guests. I remove and add restaurants as I receive continued feedback from our guests. I can only do this based on the feedback of several guests, since any one experience would not be a fair basis for my suggestion to other guests.

After 40 years of sitting down to meals my husband has prepared including breakfast at the Inn, I am now faced with the challenge of preparing breakfast for anywhere between 2 and 20--a daunting task to say the least. It took a few weeks for me to get some of the kinks out, and I am now truly enjoying preparing meals that I am proud of. I regret that your breakfast was at best edible but not exceptional.

Regards,

Susan Bandstra

Reviewed August 26, 2011

When we arrived all excited from the website, we were all very disappointed with the smell of dogs in the house. Owning dogs is one thing but to have 2 giant dogs that smelled like they have not had a bath in months living in your bed and breakfast is another. The smeel was so bad we decided not to stay in the king "Suite" that was in the house but opted for a queen bed that was in anouther guest house with no phone and no television. Their are many wonderful B&B'S in this part of wine country,however this one is not on the list.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends

I owe this couple a huge apology. August 10th was a very stressful day for me and my family. Our son Jacob and his wife Nancy had taken over for me since the prior Sunday while I sat at my husband’s side in ICU at OHSU. Although they did a stellar job as inexperienced innkeepers, I fear they may have not realized how sensitive Bruce and I were regarding the dogs meeting our guests. They were very preoccupied because of their father’s passing on that very same day.

One of our Newfoundlands is old, so I usually attend to him every few days. Since I had not been at the Inn for three days, I fear his cleanliness slipped by Jacob and Nancy. Once again I am quite apologetic regarding your unfortunate experience. They were not aware that you were uncomfortable. Their understanding was that you wanted to move to the Carriage House to be closer to the friends you were traveling with.

Prior to opening our Inn, we made the active decision to not include televisions or phones in the rooms. We have sketchy cell phone reception, which we do not apologize for since we feel most cell phone users are not aware of the disruption talking on the phone is to other guests. Wireless internet is available in all the 9 rooms, dependant on the settings on your computer. We have no intention of presenting our Inn as a hotel, where you should expect televisions and phones. Our Inn is situated on 22 acres and depending on the season, our guests have the opportunity to enjoy seating indoors or outdoors. We encourage our guests to leave their rooms and enjoy what Brookside Inn has to offer. We have a large screen television in the great room for our guests’ viewing pleasure.

Regards,

Susan Bandstra

Reviewed August 20, 2011

I was visiting a client how recommended I stay at the Inn. When I got there i was struck not only by the beauty but by the welcoming atmosphere. It did not feel like a business trip and I so loved that!. Susan and Bruce are great!. At breakfast you will sample some of Bruce's gourmet cooking which is outstanding! You'll also get a chance to meet people form all over the country and the world visiting the area. I will definitely be back!!!!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 8, 2011

We made reservations here 6 months in advance, based on their beautiful website which boasted charm and suggested this was a true "inn." It was more like a poor quality dorm.

When we arrived there at about 6 PM on July 28th, we were very disappointed in the reception and in the accommodations. The proprietor was somewhat rude, with his first question being to ask if we planned to have breakfast there the next morning, because if not, he certainly didn't want to wake up early to prepare breakfast on our account. There was a very large ill dog in the only reception room in the inn; this gave the entire inn an unmistakable odor of large smelly dog. There was no air conditioning on in the inn anywhere, including in our guest room, so the entire inn smelled like a large smelly dog. This despite the fact that the proprietors knew they had an inn full of guests arriving on a very warm evening.

We then realized that despite paying $200 per night, there was no dresser (no place at all to set a suitcase anywhere in the room), no closet, just one or two hangers on the back of a door. When we asked if they had a room with a closet, they looked at us like we were insane and said, "oh no, only a couple rooms in our inn have a closet!" I guess that was one amenity we had taken for granted. There was also no phone, no TV, no coffeemaker, no phone, no cell phone service, no internet, no table---it was extremely bare bones---and that is not the impression their website gives.

We immediately told them that we planned to try to find an altenate hotel--which we had to do by driving because there was no phone service. The Brookside Inn told us they would charge us for the 3 nights, despite our displeasure with the room, and what we considered very misleading description of their "inn." It was a very disgusting and inadequate "bed and breakfast"---minus the friendliness one often finds at a bed and breakfast. The smell was intolerable. It was worth it to get out of there.

We thought you should know about their poor service and poor accommodations.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

In our four years of running our Inn, we have determined that our country inn is not a perfect fit for everyone. We have seldom required a two night stay to allow many travelers to experience the energy here at Brookside Inn. For IPNC (International Pinot Noir Celebration) we require a 3 night stay. There are no cancelations without full charge for that weekend only, because most of the rooms are booked well in advance. We receive requests for that weekend right up until the week before the event. The cancellation policy is stated very clearly on our website.

For that particular weekend, we ask each guest which of the courses they are interested in since most of the guests attending IPNC leave early for breakfast at the event. Rather than make breakfast for 20 to later realize no one would be eating, we ask whether they will be joining us. It is “all about the food” at Brookside Inn, and we take great pride in our breakfast. We offer a two-course full breakfast served over a two and half hour period, open seating. We apologize if we gave any one the impression we did not want to “get up to serve them breakfast”. My husband often joked a bit to ease the obvious stress of guests arriving. He was not always successful. That particular weekend I was training my assistant Innkeeper, Brandie, to help me since my husband’s health was failing. He has since passed away. I regret that he gave the wrong impression to any guests in the last few months.

Each of the rooms in the main house includes a wooden luggage table/dresser that will fit a large suitcase or two small suitcases, with a shelf and large drawer beneath. Macintosh also includes a bedside table and a chair side table.

The air conditioning, although on, was not efficiently cooling the rooms upstairs. I had just turned it down another 4 degrees; however, it was a warm day and still trying to catch up. In an effort to avoid the afternoon warmth in Macintosh, I am in the process of adding fabric window coverings in addition to the blinds. The added layer will keep the room cooler on those hot summer days. The breeze in Macintosh is quite lovely once the sun sets behind the trees a few hours later.

Mondo, our Newfoundland, was receiving an acupuncture treatment for a divot in his back at the time our guests arrived that evening. That was poor judgment on my part, since Mondo is an old dog—old, but not ill. If you are not an animal lover, we are glad to keep the dogs behind closed doors for the duration of your stay. We however cannot control the two very friendly outdoor cats—they seem to be magnets to anyone who is not a cat lover.

Prior to opening our Inn, we made the active decision to not include televisions or phones in the rooms. We have sketchy cell phone reception, which we do not apologize for since we feel most cell phone users are not aware of the disruption talking on the phone is to other guests. Wireless internet is available in all the 9 rooms, dependant on the settings on your computer. The coffee we serve is available at 7:30 in the great room and is fresh roasted to order on a weekly basis—then coarsely ground for French Press. We believe the coffee we serve is far better than coffee out of a drip coffee maker found in most hotel rooms. We have no intention of presenting our Inn as a hotel.

We regret that some of our guests do not have a stellar experience, but are very fortunate for the 99% who have fond memories of their stay at Brookside Inn. Mondo and Rizzo, our Newfoundlands, have been our official greeters for some time, but I usually ask our guests upon arrival if they like dogs. I love watching our much-stressed guests lower their shoulders and smile as they greet our gentle giants.

Reviewed August 5, 2011

We needed a place to stay in the Carlton-Dundee area in a pinch. I easily located the Brookside Inn on the internet and very easily made a reservation. It was quiet, peaceful and very comfortable. We both enjoyed quietly reading on the grounds as there are multiple places to just be alone. We needed that and it's sometimes hard to find in a B&B! We'll be back!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlton
McMenamins Hotel Oregon
La Bastide Bed & Breakfast
3rd Street Flats
3rd Street Flats
#1 of 2 in McMinnville

Been to Brookside Inn on Abbey Road? Share your experiences!