“The worst Italian restaurant I've ever been to”
Review of Cielo Blu Italian Grill - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Cielo Blu Italian Grill
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed August 22, 2010

After spending the night in Carlton, we were walking down the street looking for a place for lunch. Cuvee was one of our favorites but it was too much food for lunch. The Horseradish is comfortable and laid-back, but I wasn't really in the mood for deli plates. We'd never been to Cielo Blu, and the menu looked ok for lunch so we gave it a try.

Let's see, where to begin...the place had about 4 tables busy but it took a long, long time for the waiter to come by. Seems that one waiter was working the entire restaurant, including the bar and the front desk. Eventually, we got menus and water and some bread.

I ordered the Flatbread Panini since I was in the mood for a nice panini for lunch. It came with soup called "chicken dumpling". The panini was basically a piece of pita bread folded over some tomato, chicken and greens with a heavy sauce, grilled with a skillet on top I would guess. Far from being a panini, I was expecting ciabatta bread, grill marks, hot, crusty, yum. Soup was really a heavy, pasty concoction that had no chicken flavor, more flavor of flour. My wife had the FarFale al Sugo Bianco (their capitalization of FarFale, not mine, what does this mean?) which had extremely overcooked pasta, fatty bacon and a super heavy cream sauce with very little flavor. The worst Italian food we've ever had.

The server was pretty green. When a guy brings two plates to food to the table and can't remember which goes to whom, a 50% chance of success improved by simply reading the ticket, I wonder what is going on. Remember, the place was pretty empty so there was really no excuse, a pro could have handled this easily. Visits to our table to check on things never happened.

Eventually, after sitting at the table waiting for someone to come by, I got up and asked for the check so we could get out of there.

Not sure what is going on with this train-wreck of a restaurant. If lunch service is this bad, I can only wonder what dinner service is like.

2  Thank pauloregon