“Loved some things, other things we were not thrilled with.”
Review of Surfsand Resort

Surfsand Resort
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Cannon Beach
Reviewed February 15, 2014

My significant other and I traveled to Cannon Beach a few days after Christmas and spent 2 nights at the Surfsand. Overall we were very happy with our service at the hotel. Staff at the hotel were great. Housekeeping in the morning was very nice and polite (we had hung our sign up requesting the room be cleaned while we were out but were still finishing up grabbing our stuff and brushing teeth, housekeeping waited patiently and did not rush us out of the room which was very much appreciated). Rooms were comfortable, clean, and well decorated. The soaking tub was a decent size and a nice way to end the day. We had a limited view room and the view was really not that limited, great view of Haystack Rock and fairly easy beach access. Front desk staff was pleasant and helpful. My minor complaints with the hotel were related to billing practices. Upon booking the room you pay a deposit equal to one night’s stay. Upon check in you are immediately charged for the rest of your stay plus an additional $50 charge that gets refunded back at the end of your stay. Deposits and payments get withdrawn from your account immediately yet when it comes to refunding that extra $50 it takes several days to get that money back. Nothing terrible, but a little frustrating that they are quick to take money and slow to give it back. My main problem though was with the connected restaurant, the Wayfarer. After being seated we waited for a bizarre amount of time before anyone bothered to even take our order, the food was pricey and not that good (I have eaten much better food for half the cost), overall service was poor, one of the sides tasted like cat food, and when I checked my bill an extra $2.50 had been added. In good news I provided feedback to the hotel and was quick to get a response, but was never actually ever able to connect because of my own crazy work schedule.

During our visit in December my boyfriend had proposed and we have been planning a return trip for a wedding in October. The staff I have been working with in regards to that have been amazing at responding to emails, providing group discounts, and overall just being great to work with. I had initially contacted several different hotels because I was so turned off by my experience with the Wayfarer, but the staff has just been so great and helpful that they won back my business. My fiancé and I will be returning to the hotel again at the beginning of March to finalize some of our plans, so hoping to increase our rating after this next experience. Maybe we will even consider giving the Wayfarer another chance during this next visit, because as it stands now we are leery about catering for our event and potentially planning on warning our guests away from eating there. Maybe it was just an off day.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Samantha N
SUManager, General Manager at Surfsand Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

I would like to first and foremost apologize for the unsatisfactory service you received at our restaurant. We appreciate your visit and realize you have many dining options in the area. We set our standards much higher than the service and quality of food you have described and would like to let you know that we will follow up with our staff about following through with the details of a visit that can make or break your level of customer satisfaction. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention and we hope that we can earn your business again one day. If you would like to provide me with your mailing address, it would be our pleasure to send you a gift card in hopes of you giving us an additional opportunity to improve your perception of our restaurant. We will look forward to hosting you in March, if I may be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to call me.

There are newer reviews for Surfsand Resort

Reviewed February 13, 2014

First visit to Cannon Beach Oregon and we opted for a less expensive, non-beachfront room. Upon speaking with the very helpful reservation staff, we booked a room that was not a beachfront room, but that afforded a spectacular view of Haystack Rock on the beach.

The location of this hotel is perfect - a short walk to the charming town of Cannon Beach, and an even shorter walk to the beach itself, and Haystack Rock.

The staff were so helpful and friendly, and really made us feel welcome, and at home, with really nice little touches! We will definitely return ... soon!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Some of our limited view rooms do get a nice little peek at Haystack Rock, so glad that you enjoyed one of them. Our friendly and helpful staff will look forward to you return, hopefully sooner then later.

Cheers,

Reviewed February 6, 2014

My friend and I have been staying at multiple-locations at Cannon Beach, but now she owns a rescued canine-unit (a pooch). Her dog is very shy and we don't think she had ever been to the beach before. She took to it like a seagull to water! She was so ecstatic there. Thank you Surfsand, we will be back!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
SUManager, General Manager at Surfsand Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2014

So glad that your friends shy pooch introduced you to the Surfsand Resort. We will leave the light on for your next visit.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

After 6 months living in the dust and decay of RC-E in Afghanistan, my wife wanted to let me relax near water. LOTS of water.

This resort is amazing. Our room opens onto a balcony that faces the ocean! There is not decker able noise from the adjacent, occupied rooms (very quiet). The heated indoor pool and hot tub are located in a vaulted ceiling timber framed structure...very PNW...very nice.

We purchased our very own Bon fire on the beach. The staff set it all up and gave us blankets too. It was a very special time to sit around a roaring fire in the inky darkness, roasting dinner with my family.

The weather has been great and I have many pictures of the spectacular views (Haystack Rock).

This was something very special. These are the memories made that are worth the expense.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Mike M

Thank you for serving our country and taking the time to comment on your visit to our Resort. Delighted to hear about all of your beach experiences that you had during your visit.

Enjoy the Memories,

Reviewed January 29, 2014

last year I wrote a review about booking this hotel purely because of the customer care I received from Taylor one of the staff when I phoned. As I reviewed then I had to wait 6 months before I could post again to review out stay. Our whole experience at Surf and Sand was excellent and Taylor was there to check us in when we arrived! he gave guidance on places to eat! and attractions nearby! a true gentleman who was lovely to meet. This was followed up by a phone call from Taylor to check if we were happy with our room, which was a 1 bedroom with corner views to haystack rocks etc. Surf and Sand is a great location but all the other beach hotels are within close proximity to each other so in terms of location they are all top notch. We loved Surf and Sand & Cannon beach and hopefully one day may get back again. They also provide a car which will take you to some of the restaurants I reviewed free of charge. Would recommend a stay here. The fact that I remembered to review this hotel six months after I stayed is testament to how happy we were with our stay. A special thanks again goes to Taylor!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank providence

We are so appreciative of all of your grand comments about the customer service that you received during your stay with the Surfsand Resort. Nice to hear that you where able to take advantage of our complimentary car service around Cannon Beach.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

My daughter recently stayed the weekend at the Surfsand Resort and accidently left her house keys and a small case containing numerous gift cards in the nightstand drawer. When she got home and realized she didn't have her keys or her gift cards she called the resort. They mailed them to her the next day.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to comment.
Excellent to be able to serve your daughter,
Surfsand Resort Staff

Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

The staff is friendly. They have milk and cookies and taffy in the lobby as well as newspapers, coffee and tea. Have stayed here at the surfsand several times and each time we have had an issue with people smoking next to us or above so we were unable to leave our sliding door open so we have hear the ocean as we always stay in one if the dog friendly rooms near the grass area. Each time I call the desk to complain but the on going smoking issue never gets resolved. Rooms are nice but you do hear noise from your neighbor above you or next door. No breakfast is offered. Complimentary toiletries in bath are nice as is the bed, sheets and towels. Pillows are feather and too soft and squishy for our taste. No air conditioning in rooms but a fan is available in the room. Coffee and tea provided in each room along with mugs, bowls and utencils. The mugs are awkward and are not a good for coffee drinking. Exercise room is really nice. Didn't use the pool. Pet friendly resort but very little grass area available to take your dog to. They do leave some dog towels and treats for your pet in the room on arrival. I have found the pet bowl they provide for your pet is way too small so we bring our own.its fine if you had a cat or a small yorkie. We may be back if they enforce the smoking policy.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lanalange

So sorry that other guest did not respect our non-smoking policy, we try to inform neighboring guest of our policy in a hospitable way. So glad that you enjoy numerous amenities that we provide.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cannon Beach
Best Western Ocean View Resort
Land's End at Cannon Beach
Land's End at Cannon Beach
#12 of 15 in Cannon Beach

Been to Surfsand Resort? Share your experiences!