My significant other and I traveled to Cannon Beach a few days after Christmas and spent 2 nights at the Surfsand. Overall we were very happy with our service at the hotel. Staff at the hotel were great. Housekeeping in the morning was very nice and polite (we had hung our sign up requesting the room be cleaned while we were out but were still finishing up grabbing our stuff and brushing teeth, housekeeping waited patiently and did not rush us out of the room which was very much appreciated). Rooms were comfortable, clean, and well decorated. The soaking tub was a decent size and a nice way to end the day. We had a limited view room and the view was really not that limited, great view of Haystack Rock and fairly easy beach access. Front desk staff was pleasant and helpful. My minor complaints with the hotel were related to billing practices. Upon booking the room you pay a deposit equal to one night’s stay. Upon check in you are immediately charged for the rest of your stay plus an additional $50 charge that gets refunded back at the end of your stay. Deposits and payments get withdrawn from your account immediately yet when it comes to refunding that extra $50 it takes several days to get that money back. Nothing terrible, but a little frustrating that they are quick to take money and slow to give it back. My main problem though was with the connected restaurant, the Wayfarer. After being seated we waited for a bizarre amount of time before anyone bothered to even take our order, the food was pricey and not that good (I have eaten much better food for half the cost), overall service was poor, one of the sides tasted like cat food, and when I checked my bill an extra $2.50 had been added. In good news I provided feedback to the hotel and was quick to get a response, but was never actually ever able to connect because of my own crazy work schedule.
During our visit in December my boyfriend had proposed and we have been planning a return trip for a wedding in October. The staff I have been working with in regards to that have been amazing at responding to emails, providing group discounts, and overall just being great to work with. I had initially contacted several different hotels because I was so turned off by my experience with the Wayfarer, but the staff has just been so great and helpful that they won back my business. My fiancé and I will be returning to the hotel again at the beginning of March to finalize some of our plans, so hoping to increase our rating after this next experience. Maybe we will even consider giving the Wayfarer another chance during this next visit, because as it stands now we are leery about catering for our event and potentially planning on warning our guests away from eating there. Maybe it was just an off day.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The oceanfront Surfsand Resort is steps from Haystack Rock and features stylish, contemporary guest rooms with a serene and tranquil vibe. IPod docs, deep soaking tubs, fitness center, indoor swimming pool, kids crafts and seasonal cabana service are just a few of the fun extras that you'll find at the resort. Located just 70 miles due west of Portland, this full-service resort welcomes guests with warmth and hospitality. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, Hotwire and Agoda so you can book your Surfsand Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Surfsand Resort Cannon Beach
- Surfsand Hotel Cannon Beach