“Luxurious, need to go again.”
Review of Surfsand Resort

Surfsand Resort
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Cannon Beach
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Very positive experience, start to finish. Professional staff checked us in. Haystack Rock right outside, easy walk. Perfect view of the ocean and beach from the 2nd floor balcony. Immediate access to the ocean and beach from building. Pool/hot tub was clean and inviting, with towels stocked constantly by attentive staff. This was especially valuable since the weather was intense, with major winds making beach-going not a good option. 3 TVs in our unit, so everyone could be happy. Our King Bed was very comfortable. Kids slept on sleeper sofa. Beautiful bathroom with high end finishes. Bathtub was gigantic, and was positioned with a view of the ocean. They even came at about 7 pm to turn down the beds and leave little prizes for our 2 children. We only had time for one night, but wish we could've stayed longer. Would go again without hesitation.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
SUManager, General Manager at Surfsand Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Thank you for your comments on your wonderful stay! We are so happy that you had a great time with us. The one-bedroom suites are just perfect for families to relax and stay! We hope you can visit again soon. Hopefully for a longer period this time!

Cheers,

There are newer reviews for Surfsand Resort

Reviewed March 27, 2013

I got an excellent rate for this hotel by joining their email list. It is very well situated. I loved being able to walk to town for meals and shopping. The room was comfortable and we really enjoyed being able to open the windows for the ocean breeze and the very nice fireplace to take the chill off at night.
The room was kept clean, but twice I came upon the room with the door left open to the street/parking lot because housekeeping had left it standing open while they went to refresh supplies. I found that very disturbing. The front desk staff was not particularly warm or welcoming. We had a significant disturbance caused by a very noisy child running back and forth in the room above us. Although we called the front desk to ask them to deal with it, there was no evidence they did.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your honest review. We are glad to hear that you were able to take advantage of one of our email specials. I am also glad to hear that you were happy with your room; however, I am so sorry that our staff was not able to meet or exceed your expectations. We strive hard to make our guests stay enjoyable and I hope you consider staying with us again.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

We stayed the last night of an anniversary "staycation" down coast close to home. I do wish we had done all three nights here and skipped the two nights in Seaside. We stayed in a room billed as restricted view, top floor- back building that connects to the lobby. Our room was about midway in the row of rooms. I got an amazing off season deal and felt like it was worth trying. We LOVED it! I was so tickled the room had just about everything you could want to be comfortable. The Temerpedic king bed has us looking into for home! A REAL gas fireplace, not electric! A good size TV with good sound to watch movies if it rains, and they have a great list of dvd's to borrow. They even give you popcorn! A fridge with freezer, microwave, extra sink, extra coffee (I liked the coffee BTW), tea, hot cider, hot chocolate, chocolate chip cookies & milk, real coffee cups, plates, bowls and silverware (no joke!). Furnished with a loveseat & coffee table with tuck away extra tuffet stools (great for cards) A bistro table to eat at with what I felt like was a really good view! It's a great layout with a hall to keep your luggage so it doesn't clutter up your space. I didn't mind being rained in at all. The bathroom: separate soaker tub and shower, a little tv, good space and my absolute favorite thing: ventilation. Yup, a real fan you can actually turn on and a window too! The only think I didn't love was the color scheme, my personal preference would be more "beachy". Neutrals and maybe some aqua's would be more soothing, still very nice!

My Policeman husband liked that it was very secure and obvious thought had gone into safety. If you are too warm or want fresh air the slider door offers a lock that you can use to have door cracked a few inches without risk of anyone getting in. The front door on the other side offers a pop open chained vent so you can get a good cross breeze and be cool in minutes! If you think we don't have crime because we live at the beach and things look like Mayberry your wrong. However being married to a career LBPD officer we know the vast majority of crimes are opportunity based, meaning someone didn't take precautions to lock doors, etc. It's not the big city but you still need to be safety cautious and they are, love it.

Amenities are fabulous! Nicest workout room I have seen at a hotel, all working, great big tv! Two saunas that I had not heard about in reviews. The pool is bigger than the photos let on and we were lucky enough to get it to ourselves! The edge tile is like abalone and everything is so pretty, spa like perfect condition. We swam and floated till I was one big wrinkle and I still didn't want to get out. Very peaceful. There is just one downside. We only saw 1 bath/changing room. This is a good size resort and if it wasn't off season I don't think that is enough at all. They do have great robes, so when we go back I will use those eliminating a need to change but what happens if several kidos need to pee all at the same time? The beach here is loads of fun with tide pools and all, but it wasn't nice enough while we were there to do any more than watch from the room.

Staff is awesome, everyone from booking (Diana), front desk, and maintenance. All kind and genuinely warm. I unfortunately got to really test the staff. I got horribly sick in the middle of the night and spent the next day in the ER. We called for cleaning supplies, old towels and fresh sheets at around 4 AM and had all within minutes! The maintenance person (Tony) was amazing and even offered more help, but we refused. Check out asked if we had a good time, my husband explained what happened and got the kindest of responses. We will for sure go again!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your spectacular review and for choosing to stay with us for your anniversary! I am glad you enjoyed all the extra amenities available to our guests. We take pride in trying to make a safe place to stay for our guest so thank you for noticing that! I am so sorry to hear you had to deal with an illness during your stay; however, I am glad Tony was able to assist you. We hope to see you again on your next “staycation”.

Hope to see you for your next anniversary,

Reviewed March 22, 2013

We spent 3 nights on a special promotion (pay for two nights, get the third night free) because it was off season. Staff was very friendly with fresh baked cookies waiting when you check-in (assuming you check-in around the standard check-in time). We had a beachfront room with a great view of the ocean and Haystack Rock. The resort is pet-friendly with a reasonable $15/night pet fee. They provide pet towel, sheet, pet bed, food mat and bowls for your dog to use while staying at the property. They also have a washing station with warm water and towels so you can rinse the sand off your dog before returning to your room. Some treats were also supplied plus their is a pet treat jar in the lobby. Rooms have fireplaces, nice when you come back from a chilly walk. Rooms also have microwave and small refrigerator. Although there is no kitchenette there are some limited dishware and silverware items. Beds are very comfortable. Although not right in town it is not a long walk and a very short drive. Highly recommend this friendly, well-maintained property.

Room Tip: Choose beachfront units for a view of Haystack Rock. Oceanfront units are angled so you don't g...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

It is so great that you and your pets enjoyed staying with us and were able to take advantage of all the little extras that we provide! We love pampering not only our guests but their pooches as well! The email specials are a great excuse to get away! Hope you are able to take advantage of those more!

Cheers,

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Fabulous resort. Great rooms, provide great amenities and great service. Best location to walk to Haystack Rock. Wayfarer Inn serves great food, including razors clams. Can walk to Sleepy Monks for a great latte' and scones. Highly recommend them.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of Haystack Rock to watch the birds party all day long.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
SUManager, General Manager at Surfsand Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2014

We’re glad you loved your room and all of the amenities! It’s good to hear you got a chance to eat at the Wayfarer as well.

Jerry W Martin

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I booked this property for a weekend birthday celebration for two nights and read to see if it would have enough for our family to do in addition to the obvious beach activities. I was convinced that we would be adequately entertained and relaxed as well. Upon arriving we were greeted with a very friendly desk staff. Our room was not quite ready, but we were checked in and then told about the different events that were happening right at the time we arrived. Sunny day in Cannon Beach equals beach time, also we were informed about the 3pm Ice Cream Social, my daughter was handed a beach bucket and shovel, (it had animal crackers in it) Salt Water Taffy from Bruce's Candy Kitchen (local) on the desk, and we were told not to forget that fresh baked cookies will be available at 3:30pm. We then got to our room, the celebration package I had arranged for was in the room and very nicely done, (a little steep on the price for what you get, but within reason) Veiw straight out our back door of Haystack Rock, big bathroom, nice room, not overly large, but well laid out. LCD TV DVD player (you can rent DVD'd at the front desk for free) Microwave (free popcorn at the desk too), a few dishes, nice decor (updated) comfy bed, rollaway for the little one. The TV in the bathroom was a big hit for my daughter. Great water pressure in the shower, nice big tub, plenty of extra pillows and blankets in the closet. Overall the room was great.
The facilities had pool and excercise room, I didnt get to use the excercise room but it looked very clean. The pool was more than adequate for my daughters fun. not overly crowded, could be a little warmer, but overall good. The hottub was nice, clean and perfect temp. The entire pool area was clean and well maintained.
Grounds were in good shape, parking was a bit tough on a Saturday night, however a free shuttle is provided to town as well as the two other resturants they own. So really no need to move the car anyway. The rest of the time the parking was fine. The meeting space looked nice, the ocean front and cabana service sounded like a good idea for the warm months.
We also ate at the nearby Wayfarer resturant and the Lumberyard resturant, both owned by the resort and each was very adequate not super, but pretty good overall. The meal plan that allowed the little one to eat at both resturants for free was a huge plus. All told I had high expectations as I wanted this to be a lot of fun for the family since it was a birthday celebration. The Surfsand Resort exceeded my expectations by a significant amount. We were talking before we checked out about how we might plan a trip more into the summer to enjoy the beach. My only gripe was that overall it was slightly just out of reach on the budget for a very frequent destination. However, it was close enough pricewise that we can plan for it and save up as well as watch for specials.

Room Tip: We stayed in the room facing the parking lot, if you are here ask for top floor and a deck able to s...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank nukelz

Thank you for your very nice review. I am so happy that we were able to exceed your expectations! Summertime is such a fun time here for families; especially the little ones with our cabana service, cookies, ice cream social, hot dog roast and more! We so hope that you are able to make it out here for a summertime visit. I know you would be so pleased! Our email deals make travel so much more affordable so please take advantage when you can! Glad you enjoyed the birthday getaway!

Hope to see you this summer,

Reviewed March 11, 2013

My wife and I stayed here and had the most romantic, and wonderful two night stay. One of our best getaways - ever! Immaculate room, beautiful view, quiet, comfortable bed and perfect service when needed! The decor was an added plus, beautiful wood accents, art decor/scandinavian design touches and the most amazing artwork on the walls by a local artist. They even prepare for your pet! And when we got hungry, the Wayfarer Restaurant was the only place we ate. It's no secret that The Wayfarer is the best restaurant on the Oregon coast, which has an incredible view of Haystack Rock, as does the Surfsand Resort.

Five days later back home, they called and told us they found my wife's razor. Of course we told them to discard it, but such thoughtfulness in this day and age is unheard of. We are completely delighted with our stay at the Surfsand Resort! We can't wait to book another stay!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Wow what a nice review! Thank you! I am glad you loved both our establishments. Our location is so great for a romantic getaway. I hope you think of us again for your next beach getaway!

Hope to see you soon,

Best Western Ocean View Resort
Land's End at Cannon Beach
Land's End at Cannon Beach
#12 of 15 in Cannon Beach

Been to Surfsand Resort? Share your experiences!