“Best all around place to stay at Cannon Beach”

Hallmark Resort & Spa Cannon Beach
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Cannon Beach
washington state
“Best all around place to stay at Cannon Beach”
Reviewed November 16, 2009

I have been going to Cannon Beach since I was a young teen. I went on my Honeymoon and many Anniversary's (29) spent looking at the Haystack, My wife and I bring our grown children back here and they love it too. Weve stayed at most of the lodging through our young years and we like the Hallmark for many reasons but mainly the friendly staff that makes us feel like family. I'm 50 now and as you can imagine I've seen this sleepy ocean town grow tenfold before the Hallmark was even built. The one thing that always brings me back is the quiet history that the people keep in place. No Mcdoogles, Burger Queen ect, pretty much the same place but ALOT more places to stay. I would like to help people who aren"t so used to the beach. There is SAND, moisture and the smells of the ocean there. You also get what you pay for. period. The closer to the Haystack the more you will pay. That seems fair huh! We pay more for front row seats at concerts! Also remember to make reservations as early as possible as the best rooms are always filled 6 months to a year in advanced. If you're looking for econo rooms on prime ocean front views that makes me giggle! Not! As far as pet friendly rooms go, my grown son brought his little pug and the room was a little more, but it did'nt change the comfort of the room, We usually pay more for the best and I believe we got a fair shake on that note! I know from going to the Hallmark that they have been updating rooms and no matter what price range you can afford it's only a matter of time before all rooms are updated! I started camping in tents with my family at the Sea Ranch! So my life journey has been filled with great memories! Be sure to eat at The Morris Fireside Restaurant, The Lumberyard, Pizza Fetta, Pig n Pancake, Doogers,and dont forget the Bakery at Cannon Beach which has always been making the best baked goods consistently since I was a kid. I live in central Washington and love Oregon's coast. Live, love and enjoy Cannon Beach! My family does!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cannonsonthebeach

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
Hillsboro, Oregon
Reviewed October 15, 2009

I usually write reviews that are too long, so I will try to make this one short. We stayed here in September for our ANNIVERSARY trip with our two dogs (who are 6 and 10, potty-trained, clean, well-behaved, etc.)

Pros: Good location, love Cannon Beach, nice/knowledgeable/helpful staff, fun doggy basket, fireplace in room, room was clean.

Cons: Room quality was AWFUL! Extremely dated, peeling/chipped surfaces, sheets were SOOO rough I didn't want to stay in them to do things you might want to do on your wedding anniversary. It was THAT bad. Lighting was poor (very dark). We don't mind roughing it, especially with the dogs, but for the price we paid the quality was ridiculous.

As we were leaving, we noticed that the room next to us (which was being cleaned) was SUPER nice. Newly renovated, beautiful, modern furnishings and bathroom. We totally got jipped and should have asked for a refund/discount but my husband is not the confrontational type. Not sure if they put people with dogs in the crappy rooms (I am guessing yes), but I am telling you, we already pay an extra $20/dog, I feel that we deserve a regular quality room and that the pet fee should cover additional cleaning they feel they have to do.

I was so disappointed that I made my husband go look at another dog-friendly hotel (Surfsand) so that I will never have to stay at Hallmark again. The rooms there were BEAUTIFUL and well maintained and equal across the board - whether you had furbabies or not. Same price. Will be staying there on our next Cannon Beach trip.

Can't comment about the quality in one of the nicer rooms.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank katiekateosu
New Jersey
Reviewed October 12, 2009

My wife and I "popped" over to Cannon Beach to see Haystack Rock; after a week long conference in Portland. Not much prep or research; just kinda flying by the seat of our pants. After entering the Hallmark lobby and having a quick conversation with the staff, we knew we had found our spot. There are over a dozen different room layouts and prices; we settled on a pull down wall bed room facing the ocean for about 200 US. A little pricey, but so worth it. Sunset facing the ocean, with the sounds of waves putting us to sleep: ahhhh.....
The staff was engaging, funny and informative. Bottom line: when we go back with our 2 children, it WILL be at the Hallmark. Great staff and great views of the ocean. Nuff said.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Maryland
Reviewed October 8, 2009

This hotel was one of the nicest and most accommodating hotels in which I have ever stayed. The rooms were beautful. We had an ocean front suite. It was clean and very nicely decorated and furnished. We liked it so much, that we wanted to extend our stay. The room we were initially put in, however, was already booked for the next night. The staff at the hotel rearranged their plans and moved us to another room to accommodate our extra night. The hotel gardens were very nice as well. Staff was extremely pleasant.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank dkwhelan
KENNEWICK WASH
Reviewed September 24, 2009

We had a wonderful stay at the Hallmark Resort in Cannon beach, our room over looked the ocean (room 320,) it was nice and clean and everyone at the Front Desk was always helpful and polite, would recommend this hotel and location to anyone that is looking for a great hotel and plesant stay, I know we will be back in future, infact we didnt want to leave.
Thank you very much for the wonderful time

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed August 21, 2009

We stayed here July 4-5, 2009 along with our two miniature dachshunds in a Northwest View Queen room (#353, if I remember correctly). The view was fabulous, and the room was great. While preferring only rooms with king beds (we're getting older -- we need our space), there were none that were "pet friendly" with an ocean view available when we made our reservations in early May so we reluctantly opted for this room. It was wonderful! The bed was so comfortable it didn't matter that it wasn't a king because we slept so well in it.

The reservations desk was wonderful as well. We arrived 30 minutes before scheduled checki-n and they indicated our room was not yet available, but took my cell number so they could call when it was ready. We went down the road and found a great little pub with an outdoor patio to hang out at along with our pups, and 30 minutes later they called to say the room was ready.

The only drawback to the hotel and the room we stayed in were the incredible number of stairs from the room to the ground floor, and then the ground floor to the beach. What a workout! If you are young and fit, you will have no issues. If you are "AARP age" folks like us, it will likely take your breath away!

Regardless of the workout (which we no doubt needed), the view was spectacular and the room was quiet. The only complaint we have about the room is that the chairs and table on the outdoor patio were absolutely filthy. We had to clean them before we used them.

All in all, we highly recommend this hotel for folks traveling with or without pets. There are designated "pet rooms", so if you don't have a pet you have no worries about encountering pet smells or dealing with pet dander (for you allergic folds). For those traveling with pets, our "pet friendly room" seemed no different than a room that didn't allow pets. VERY clean and no pet smells remaining from "prior guests"!

If traveling with a dog, you will receive a welcome basket containing poop scoop bags, sheets, towels, frisbee, a brand new Outward Hound shoulder water bottle carrier with a pet water bowl in one pocket and an empty pocket for poop scoop bags, as well as some dog biscuits.

This place LOVES pet owners and their pets!!! Very highly recommended!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TexanStuckInUtah
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed August 19, 2009

We stayed in the Hallmark Suites building -- a block away from the main building, w/ easier beach access (no stairs), very close to Haystack Rock. There's a row of houses between our balcony and the beach, so we could see a little of the beach. Layout was great for a couple w/ kids (who shared the queen bed in a separate room). Smart bathroom set-up with sink outside shower/toilet area, and another sink inside the area. Kitchenette w/ all you need for small meals. Staff was very helpful, offering blankets for the beach, etc. Yes, it's a short walk to "downtown," but there's a great coffee shop/bakery and a small general store steps away. The pricing was competitive for summer and the space we got.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Best Western Ocean View Resort
Ecola Creek Lodge
Ecola Creek Lodge
#10 of 14 in Cannon Beach

Been to Hallmark Resort & Spa Cannon Beach? Share your experiences!