“Fantastic views, large room - but pricy”

Hallmark Resort & Spa Cannon Beach
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Cannon Beach
Reviewed July 27, 2014

By some freak accident we had made a wrong reservation (at the Hallmark Newport resort), when we reserved via the Hallmark website. Most amazingly we only found out the afternoon of our arrival, when checking our travel plan. We called the Newport resort and explained our mistake, and they agreed to give us a full refund. THAT's great customerservice!

We then called the Cannonbeach resort and also explained our mistake. The very friendly receptionist laughed hearthily and found us a room (small appartment for 5 people and with a full kitchen) for a price of USD 425. Very pricy (and 200 dollars more than our Newport reservation), but OK, we needed a room in Cannondale for the night.

The room (located beachside at the very southern end of the resort) had an absolutely amazing full and free view of the beach and Haystack rock. Amazing. The room itself was large but could need an update of the bathroom. Except for that OK.

The reception personel were welcoming at checkin, but a resort this size needs a larger reception and should probably also establish a bar and/or a restaurant on site.

The rooms would only account for a 3 star rating (especially for the steep price), but the views make this a 4 star review.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
HallmarkResorts, General Manager at Hallmark Resort & Spa Cannon Beach, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2014

Dear batravn,
I am very happy to hear we were able to accommodate you at the last minute with a change in location. Both Hallmark Resorts run very full during the summer season and family-sized suites can be hard to find. The price of lodging does vary depending upon the location and rates are higher in Cannon Beach than in Newport. However, Hallmark Resorts strive to provide the best value and lodging experience at both locations.

As the closest resort to Haystack Rock, our views are amazing and I'm delighted you enjoyed them. Thank you for your business and we look forward to seeing you again if you return to Cannon Beach and the Oregon coast.
Kirby Blankenship

Write a ReviewReviews (2,494)

Reviewed July 24, 2014

During a heatwave in Seattle (and the rest of the Pacific Northwest) my girlfriend and I made the decision to get to Cannon Beach and its mild temperatures for the weekend. Being July, I couldn't for the life of me find a room. Luckily, I used the Hotel Tonight app and got a solid rate at the Hallmark Resort Cannon Beach.

Since it had to have been one of the last rooms available in the entire town, I wasn't expecting much. But I was pleasantly surprised -- our room was small, but very clean and nice with a view of the beach and ocean. Checking in and parking was a breeze; there were even free cookies and we were able to check-out a DVD at night from a pretty good collection of titles! Furthermore, being close to Haystack Rock, I absolutely loved the location.

The stay was great, and the hotel certainly made a fan out of me. Whenever I decide to head to the Oregon Coast again, the Hallmark Resort will be the first place I check for a room.

1  Thank Bryden M
HallmarkResorts, General Manager at Hallmark Resort & Spa Cannon Beach, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2014

Dear Bryden M,
Thank you for the nice review. I'm delighted to hear your will be making the Hallmark Resort & Spa a tradition when you visit Cannon Beach. I love to hear the words, "I'll be back!". If you have not done so, I suggest you sign up on our website to receive our monthly email specials. Thanks for your business and we look forward to seeing you next time.

Reviewed July 23, 2014

We stayed at the Hallmark in July and it was the perfect location. The resort is right in front of Haystack Rock and at the end of Cannon Beach so it feels secluded and is very quiet. A ocean front balcony room is a must and the service was great. I highly recommend eating at the Wayfarer Restaurant which is just 2 blocks down from the Hallmark. The restaurant has a nice ocean view and terrific service. And make sure you take the beautiful scenic coastal drive down to Tillamook and visit the cheese factory.

Room Tip: At the end of the resort nearest Haystack Rock, get an ocean front balcony room. Very quiet and perf...

Dear specul8,
Thank you for sharing your Hallmark experience. As the closest resort to Haystack rock, the views are awesome and I'm happy to hear you appreciated our customer service. Thank you and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed July 21, 2014

This a lovely place to stay, especially when traveling with a family. We went with 3 children in July for two nights on my sisters recommendation and could not have been happier. Wonderful check-in, the staff was very helpful and friendly. Loved that we could borrow a blanket for the beach and purchase wood for a beach fire there. We had an ocean front room (321) with a kitchenette which is fantastic when traveling with children. We used the pool multiple times and the kids loved it. The cookies in the afternoon were great, as is it's location! Will definitely stay there again in the future.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
HallmarkResorts, General Manager at Hallmark Resort & Spa Cannon Beach, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2014

Dear jemlynch,
I'm so happy to hear we are your "home away from home" in Cannon Beach. We strive to offer lots of extras to enhance your Hallmark experience and it's great to hear they are appreciated. Thank you for your review and your business. See you next time!

Reviewed July 19, 2014

We stayed two nights in July. We had a fabulous view of Haystack Rock from our corner room (120). The room was compact but very comfortable. It had a refrigerator and microwave (with popcorn included) and a DVD player. I was a bit puzzled by the cubbyhole outside the door until we saw another with sandy beach toys stowed there and realized it was a great solution.
There are several restaurants nearby. We would stay there again.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear CometFrogs_11,
Thanks for sharing your Hallmark experience with other travelers. I'm delighted you enjoyed room 120. That room is the closest guestroom to Haystack Rock so the views are amazing. I am happy to hear you will return and while Texas is a ways away, we look forward to seeing you the next time you visit the Oregon coast.

Reviewed July 17, 2014

For the sake of brevity, I'll stick to the important points. This hotel is one we will come back to in the future, every chance we get. The room was beautifully appointed, clean and the view was postcard perfect. The staff was attentive, knowledgeable and eager to help. The check-in, bike rental, beach accessory rental (firewood, s'more stuff, blankets), check-out, restaurant recommendations and everything else we could ask for in a hotel staff was spot-on. Like I said, we will be back.

Room Tip: Almost every room is, but make sure to specify an ocean-view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
HallmarkResorts, General Manager at Hallmark Resort & Spa Cannon Beach, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2014

Dear Eli R,
Thank you for your kind words. Hearing "I'll be back!" from our guests is music to my ears. Thanks for sharing and we appreciate your business.

Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

Great place to stay. Very expensive, but the service was excellent. They provide beach blankets and DVDs and fresh cookies. After a walk on the beach, we sat on our blankets in front of the hotel and watched the sun fade and the stars come out. Very friendly town, tons of people on the beach. Our room was small and had only a small view of the ocean but it was nicely decorated and had a lovely fireplace which was perfect for warming up after coming in for the night.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Melody J
HallmarkResorts, General Manager at Hallmark Resort & Spa Cannon Beach, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2014

Dear Melody J,
I am happy to see you enjoyed all our "extra" touches. We strive to make the Hallmark Resort your home away from home and the fresh-baked cookies, complementary DVDs, beach blankets, bike usage, and popcorn are all designed to make you feel at home. My favorite is the smell of fresh-baked cookies in the lobby. Thank you for sharing your experiences. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you the next time you visit the Oregon coast.