Last year we went to Hallmark, as we always have over 20 some years, and this year also.
They have gone from leaving a paper at your door in the morning, and exceptional room service (towels, soap etc) to exceptionally POOR, shoddy service.
We would leave in the morning to walk around and hit Cannon beach shops and years back by the time we came back our room there would be new towels, bed made, etc...Last year we got their premier whirlpool tub in our room. The best of the best of their rooms...The room was beautiful, but the room service was HORRIBLE. No bed made, n new towels and it looked like the room had messes there from the last people who stayed. Later when we complained they finally sent someone up and they cleaned right in front of us inside the whirlpool while we were sitting there.
This year we got a room with a full kitchen because I am a very non GMO (Genetically Modified Food) person and all my food is organic non GMO and I make all of it.) !st thing we noticed when we took the hide a bed down was that the headboard was BROKEN. Screws hanging out of it even...we didn't want' to impale ourselves on it during the night so we called the front desk and they sent someone out to fix it (A very nice guy...BUT it shouldn't have happened in the first place.) The second thing was the toilet...It kept pumping in what I can only describe as loose bits of poop...fro BOTH days. It was discusting. I can only assume that they have a sewer problem. I don't want to be near anything like that! The other thing is that they put us next to screaming children on both sides who kept waking us up and parents who were screaming too...I had told them it was our 22nd anniversary, a GOOD hotel would at least account for that and not stick all the families right next to you.
When we left the first time that day, we came back and our room hadn't been taken care of. (Soap, towels, etc) So when we left and I saw someone from housekeeping, I told him our room # and that it hadn't been cleaned yet. We came back HOURS later and it STILL wasn't done.We finally called the front desk telling them that we were eating our anniversary dinner because we were starving and had come in to eat, but that in an hour or so could they send someone? Someone came to clean our room right as we were eating (Not an hour later, but minutes later,.).
So my thought is...the one thing they have is the view and maybe they think that because of that people will put up with horrible service. (And as to housekeeping, I am a person that gives tips every day to the people who clean rooms...I did this time out of pity...I think that they are WAY overworked.))
I don't know if the management changed, but there is obviously a MAJOR problem with this place now, its sad,they used to be a REALLY good place to stay.
Maybe the problem could possibly be that they've gone into a spiral... where they don't have as much staff because there are less people coming to stay there, so now they have less help, so there's bad morale, LESS people end up going there because the service is so bad, then they don't make as much money, then they renovate cheaply, making the hotel look like a bad dorm room (Though the whirlpool room was ok,,,) and they expect that people will keep coming. As for me, I'm going to "The Stephanie" next year. I won't touch this place ever again.
I think the problem is that the staff is VERY apparently overworked and understaffed and they don't care anymore. (Though there was a very nice handyman who fixed our bed who was very sweet.) But don't expect anything else.
My husband and I , like the other guy on here who spoke about it, have watched the Hallmark over the years go from a top rate hotel to steadily decline to where I wil NEVER go there EVER again...We are going somewhere else next year. I have heard that "The Stephanie" is one of the top hotels in the U.S.A. AND they don't allow anyone under 12 to stay there...So we will go there. Its really too bad. But that is what happens when you treat staff badly as management, go cheap (in renovations) have bad service BECAUSE your being cheap, and people run screaming from your hotel to somewhere that really DOES give a damn. Sorry Hallmark, you've LOST us. And we were damn good customers.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As the closest resort to famous Haystack Rock, we offer panoramic oceanfront views and a variety of room styles to meet your needs, including guestrooms with fireplaces and romantic in-room spas. For the family experience, choose suites featuring 1 or 2 bedrooms, Sico beds, kitchenettes, and spacious living areas. Rejuvenate at Elements By The Sea, our on-site day spa and enjoy our 2 indoor heated pools, 3 swirl spas, exercise room, and sauna. Complimentary house-baked cookies at check-in, popcorn in your room, and high-speed WI-FI are available in guestrooms. We are pet friendly in 50% of our guestrooms. Newly renovated oceanfront guestrooms and suites. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity, Priceline, Cheap Tickets and Agoda so you can book your Hallmark Resort & Spa Cannon Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hallmark Resort Cannon Beach Hotel Cannon Beach
- Hallmark Hotel Cannon Beach