“We have been going to hallmark for YEARS, and the quality have gone from a 10 to maybe a 1. AWFUL!!!!!”

Hallmark Resort & Spa Cannon Beach
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Cannon Beach
Seattle, Washington, United States
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Last year we went to Hallmark, as we always have over 20 some years, and this year also.

They have gone from leaving a paper at your door in the morning, and exceptional room service (towels, soap etc) to exceptionally POOR, shoddy service.

We would leave in the morning to walk around and hit Cannon beach shops and years back by the time we came back our room there would be new towels, bed made, etc...Last year we got their premier whirlpool tub in our room. The best of the best of their rooms...The room was beautiful, but the room service was HORRIBLE. No bed made, n new towels and it looked like the room had messes there from the last people who stayed. Later when we complained they finally sent someone up and they cleaned right in front of us inside the whirlpool while we were sitting there.

This year we got a room with a full kitchen because I am a very non GMO (Genetically Modified Food) person and all my food is organic non GMO and I make all of it.) !st thing we noticed when we took the hide a bed down was that the headboard was BROKEN. Screws hanging out of it even...we didn't want' to impale ourselves on it during the night so we called the front desk and they sent someone out to fix it (A very nice guy...BUT it shouldn't have happened in the first place.) The second thing was the toilet...It kept pumping in what I can only describe as loose bits of poop...fro BOTH days. It was discusting. I can only assume that they have a sewer problem. I don't want to be near anything like that! The other thing is that they put us next to screaming children on both sides who kept waking us up and parents who were screaming too...I had told them it was our 22nd anniversary, a GOOD hotel would at least account for that and not stick all the families right next to you.

When we left the first time that day, we came back and our room hadn't been taken care of. (Soap, towels, etc) So when we left and I saw someone from housekeeping, I told him our room # and that it hadn't been cleaned yet. We came back HOURS later and it STILL wasn't done.We finally called the front desk telling them that we were eating our anniversary dinner because we were starving and had come in to eat, but that in an hour or so could they send someone? Someone came to clean our room right as we were eating (Not an hour later, but minutes later,.).

So my thought is...the one thing they have is the view and maybe they think that because of that people will put up with horrible service. (And as to housekeeping, I am a person that gives tips every day to the people who clean rooms...I did this time out of pity...I think that they are WAY overworked.))

I don't know if the management changed, but there is obviously a MAJOR problem with this place now, its sad,they used to be a REALLY good place to stay.

Maybe the problem could possibly be that they've gone into a spiral... where they don't have as much staff because there are less people coming to stay there, so now they have less help, so there's bad morale, LESS people end up going there because the service is so bad, then they don't make as much money, then they renovate cheaply, making the hotel look like a bad dorm room (Though the whirlpool room was ok,,,) and they expect that people will keep coming. As for me, I'm going to "The Stephanie" next year. I won't touch this place ever again.

I think the problem is that the staff is VERY apparently overworked and understaffed and they don't care anymore. (Though there was a very nice handyman who fixed our bed who was very sweet.) But don't expect anything else.

My husband and I , like the other guy on here who spoke about it, have watched the Hallmark over the years go from a top rate hotel to steadily decline to where I wil NEVER go there EVER again...We are going somewhere else next year. I have heard that "The Stephanie" is one of the top hotels in the U.S.A. AND they don't allow anyone under 12 to stay there...So we will go there. Its really too bad. But that is what happens when you treat staff badly as management, go cheap (in renovations) have bad service BECAUSE your being cheap, and people run screaming from your hotel to somewhere that really DOES give a damn. Sorry Hallmark, you've LOST us. And we were damn good customers.

Room Tip: GO TO THE STEPHANIE...People we talked to were raving about that place...#5 in the nation out of top...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Heidi S
HallmarkResorts, General Manager at Hallmark Resort & Spa Cannon Beach, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Heidi S,
WOW, I'm so sorry you had this experience. I read your review in disbelief. Please accept my apologies for the poor quality of housekeeping service. It sounds to me like you stayed in a newly renovated spa room. The plumbing had not been used in over a month during construction and the pipes completely dried out. I'm very sorry you had problems with the toilet. We are in the midst of an extensive 3 million dollar renovation and things do happen.

If you read most all of our other reviews you can see that you did not receive the normal Hallmark experience. Normally other guests are more respectful and our housekeeping services are top notch. Again, please accept my sincere apologies and I would like the opportunity to make this up to you. Please contact me personally at Kirby@hallmarkinns.com or 503.436.1566.

As a loyal past guest, I hope you can look past this one bad experience and give us another try.
Kirby Blankenship

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
Denver, CO
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We were going to rent a condo on/near the beach and wound up staying at the Hallmark and splitting the family up in two adjacent rooms. While the rooms were not connected by a shared door, it wasn't an issue for us at all. The Hallmark has several structures there actually and we stayed at the units down the hill which were 1/2 block from the beach but closer to the town. The main facility walks out the back to the beach which many people prefer, but the rooms in our facility were nicer for our crew with sleeping for 6 each, kitchenette, fireplace, balcony. We also got a discount on the second room so it just worked for us. Great coffee shop across the street, small market store next door, 10-15 min walk to town center. There are places on the beach, places that are more romantic, places closer to town, etc. – but for the price and convenience for our family, this was a great choice and we’d stay there again for sure.

Room Tip: Pretty sure all the rooms in this facility have back balconies that "face" the ocean. Thi...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank wmchale
Dear wmchale,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Hallmark Resort & Spa. I agree the Hallmark Suites are a great alternative for larger groups. Each does have an enclosed balcony facing west and they are just across the street from the ocean.

Since they are across the street from the beach and not oceanfront, they are one of the best values in Cannon Beach. Thanks for choosing the Hallmark and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Florida
Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

This was a very quaint inn. Our view was gorgeous of the ocean with Haystack Rock. We spent two nights here for our 30th anniversary! They are still renovating but this did not interfere with our visit. The weather was pretty good as it was a bit cold for me being from Florida but that is the way it's supposed to be there. With it sitting on the beach, this is a great locale!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank catwoman30189
Dear catwoman30189,
Congratulations and thank you for sharing your 30th anniversary with us! I'm delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay. Yes, I'm sure the weather was a bit cool if you are used to Florida weather. Usually our warmest weather comes in September so you may want to try that time of year next time.
Thanks again for choosing the Hallmark Resort & Spa and we look forward to seeing you the next time you visit the Oregon coast.
Denver
Reviewed June 3, 2013

As we flew into clouds on our flight to Portland a little girl in the next row asked "Mommy, are we in heaven?" The plane ride was, well, less than heavenly -- but then we got to Cannon Beach and that made up for everything. We loved the town and we really liked the Hallmark - the hotel staff and guests were friendly, the room was reasonably priced and comfortable with a lovely view, and the beach was only steps away. Couldn't ask for more except to keep the prices in line when your renovations are done so we can come back!

Room Tip: We saved money by sacrificing the full-on beach view and instead getting a corner balcony facing nor...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
HallmarkResorts, General Manager at Hallmark Resort & Spa Cannon Beach, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear admiralnelsonden,
Thanks for the "heavenly" review. We strive to make every guest's visit memorable and I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay. As the closest resort to Haystack Rock, the room view are spectacular and with the renovation, so are the guestrooms. We look forward to seeing you the next time you visit Cannon Beach. Hint: October begins value season and the first part of the month often has some of the best weather of the year.
Springfield, Oregon
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Me and my newly wed choose to come to hallmark resort in cannon beach for our honeymoon.lets just say they didn't disappoint whatsoever.the quality of service we received was outstanding and above and beyond what i expected especially from Colleen who has great customer service and helped us make our stay amazing. I would highly recommend this place to anyone and i will be coming back for now on.

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank Tallboy247
HallmarkResorts, General Manager at Hallmark Resort & Spa Cannon Beach, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear Tallboy247,
"The best the coast has to offer" is what we all strive to hear from every guest. Thank you for your kind words. I've personally thanked Colleen for her legendary service. Congratulations on your wedding! Thank you for sharing your special occasion with us and we look forward to seeing you on your anniversary if not sooner.
Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

This was our second stay here - obviously we liked it enough to return. Comfy bed, great view. Loved the fireplace in the room! Our room was fine but the exterior could definitely use some sprucing up - glad to see its underway. Oh! Also had a massage w/ Don (?) - highly recommend.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Anna D,
Thank you for making the Hallmark Resort a tradition when you visit Cannon Beach. By the end of June all the exteriors will have a fresh new look and all our oceanfront guestrooms will be remodeled. I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to seeing you again.
Kennewick, Washington
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I'm a little late in our review, but we stayed in guest house 380 over Spring Break at the beginning of April and had a great time. The location was fantastic with a short set of steps to the beach. The back yard looked like it would have been a fantastic place to hang out and enjoy the sunset, if the weather had decided to cooperate. The kids enjoys the use of both pools of the resort property. Overall, the house was a little dated but was clean, comfortable, and well kept. Would definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
HallmarkResorts, General Manager at Hallmark Resort & Spa Cannon Beach, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear WorldTraveler1979,
Thanks for the review of your stay in guest house 380. I've shared your comments regarding the cleanliness and maintenance of the house with our staff. They work hard to provide our guests with a quality experience and it's nice to hear when we succeed. Since your visit in April, we have continued to upgrade areas of this and our other houses. 380 received some new bedroom furniture and the upstairs bathroom got a face lift. The views are amazing from all the beach houses and hopefully you will be able to enjoy it more on your next visit. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you the next time you come to the coast.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cannon Beach
Ecola Creek Lodge
Ecola Creek Lodge
#10 of 14 in Cannon Beach
Best Western Ocean View Resort

Been to Hallmark Resort & Spa Cannon Beach? Share your experiences!