“Nice view but ????” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Cannon Beach
Lacey
“Nice view but ????”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

The oceanfront view was great and the front desk stall was very helpful, but the hotel and rooms are in need of a major up grade. The mattress in our room was like sleeping on a sack of sand, very uncomfortable and need of replacement. Bathroom sink did not drain. We left after only one night. Very disappointed. .

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
HallmarkResorts, General Manager at Hallmark Resort Cannon Beach, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear William J, I'm delighted you enjoyed the view and appreciated our helpful front desk staff. Please accept my apologies for the firm bed and slow drain. I'm sure you saw that we are under renovation and soon all these items will be fresh and new. I'm sorry for the inconvenience and I hope you will try us again after our remodel is complete.
Kirby Blankenship

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

My husband and I travel frequently to Cannon Beach. This was the first time we stayed at this resort. I initially made the reservation online using their website and their reservations system said there was a oceanfront balcony room available, which was what we wanted. I was about to reserve it when I noticed a note on the website asking people with pets to call a 800 number to reserve instead. Since we were bringing our dog, I picked up my phone and called, only to be told there was no ocean front balcony rooms available! I told him that their reservation system showed oceanfront balcony rooms available less than 1 minute ago, but he insisted everything was booked and had been for some time. He then suggested that we could get a "Queen View Room" which he explained was just like the ocean front balcony rooms, but without the balcony. So I reserved this room instead. When we arrived at the hotel, I was surprised to discover the "view" was 1 small window that was 12 inches wide and about 3 feet tall! The rest of the window looked directly at a wall a couple of feet away. There was another window in the room but it looked out onto the guest walkway and people could look right into your room as they were walking by. Because of this we kept the curtain closed for privacy. The only source of outside light into the room was this 12 inch wide window. The room was very dark and cave like, you had to keep the lights on even during the day. I asked for another room but was told nothing else was available. So we decided to make do with this room. Then we discovered the gas fireplace did not work. It would only stay on for a short period of time and shut down. Then the TV remote stopped working. Maintenance did come and fix the remote, but it stopped working again a few hours later. We were not impressed.

The resort does have some good points, the two dog areas are nice, and the beach access is right there which is nice. The pool area and sauna are adequate. They also gave us a nice dog gift bag when we checked in. But all in all, I was very disappointed with the room. It was not as advertised. I've since gone on their website and discovered we were given the "Peak View Queen", which is absolutely NOT what was described to me at the time I made the reservation! Based on our experience, I probably would not stay here again. There are plenty of other oceanfront hotels in Cannon Beach to choose from.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Julie B
HallmarkResorts, General Manager at Hallmark Resort Cannon Beach, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Agilepawz,
Please accept my apologies for your disappointment. We have over 24 styles of rooms and it can be confusing. 50% of each style of room accepts pets. The others are pet free so it is possible to have a room showing available on the web and it not be a pet room. I'm very sorry we did a poor job of describing the peak view queen and you were disappointed. I'm glad you found the rest or the resort comfortable. We have begun a full renovation of the property so all the fireplaces will be new and we will have a fresh, new look. If you read our other reviews you can see you did not have a normal Hallmark experience. Please accept my apologies and I hope you will reconsider and come see us again.
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

My sister and I traveled to Cannon beach because it had been highly recommended. We ended up at the Hallmark Resort by chance and what a find! Our ocean-front view was breathtaking and almost right in front of Haystack Rock. Our room also had a fireplace and was so cozy we didn't want to leave!

Room Tip: You definitely want an "ocean-front" room!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Elizabeth C
HallmarkResorts, General Manager at Hallmark Resort Cannon Beach, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear Elizabeth C,
I'm delighted you and your sister enjoyed your stay. I agree the views are awesome and the fireplace feels pretty cozy after a stroll on the beach. Thanks for discovering us and we look forward to seeing you the next time you escape to Cannon Beach.
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

We were impressed with the location, the amenities, and the price. Our room,320, has a full balcony with a full view of the beach and is as close to Haystack rock as you can get. I think it is one of the, if not the, best place in Cannon Beach. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Bob407
HallmarkResorts, General Manager at Hallmark Resort Cannon Beach, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Bob407,
Thanks for taking time to review your stay with us. I agree room 320 has an awesome view of Haystack Rock. I hope you had the chance to discover the tide pools at low tide. We are starting a renovation of the resort this month so by the time you visit us again, we will have a fresh, new look.
Spanaway, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

I have stayed in all different types of rooms at the Hallmark from the one bedrooms down the street to the vacation homes next door and just this past weekend in one of their King Spa Suites at the resort. This place has never dissappointed. Dan at the front desk was super accommodating and even allowed us to upgrade. This was our first time going as a couple and it was literally the most perfect weekend. The view from our balcony was exactly what I had pictured when planning our getaway. We ate dinner at the Wayfarer and walked back the room on the beach. Just PERFECT. I have to say that the rate I paid for our room with a King size bed, jacuzzi tub, huge double shower, big balcony w a view, and a fireplace was the same rate I almost paid for a room at the Shilo Inn at Seaside non view room with queen. So glad I we came back!

Room Tip: Watch for deals online or ask for the military discount.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HallmarkResorts, General Manager at Hallmark Resort Cannon Beach, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Imoana,
Thank you for being a loyal return guest and thanks for the great review. I've passed your comments on to Dan. Our front desk team truly enjoys making people happy and I'm delighted Dan was able to upgrade you to an oceanfront spa suite. If you haven't done so, I suggest you go to our website and sign up for our monthly email promotion. We offer exclusive values every month to our subscribers and you will find our very best deals there. We currently have a "buy one, get one" offer that is hard to beat. Thanks again and we'll see you the next time you visit Cannon Beach.
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

We have stayed here for the past 5 years on my birthday weekend. We stay in a spa suite. The room has always been great, clean and comfortable and the staff are very friendly and helpful. Getting to the beach is easy. I am not sure how come they call it a resort as their is no resturant or room service, nevertheless we are never disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room, eliminates noise from those staying rooms above you.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Slimjas
Dear Slimjas,
First of all I want to wish you a belated Happy Birthday! Thank you for making the Hallmark your birthday tradition. I'm delighted to hear you always enjoy yourself and I agree the spa suites are great rooms. All our guestrooms are being renovated this spring, but these suites will keep their in-room, 2-person spas. Thanks for the review and we look forward to sharing our fresh, new look with you.
troutdale
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

We have srtayed at this property on several occations and have always enjoyed our stay. Our rooms have always had fireplaces, and a view of the ocean, but best of all, they accept pets. We love walking on the beach with them, and sitting by the fire after dinner.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sharon B,
Thanks for being such a loyal return guest. I'm happy to let you know we begin a complete renovation of the resort this February. We will still be pet friendly and offer great service, but will have a fresh, new look. I'm happy to see you enjoy yourselves here and we look forward to seeing you again.