“Great Experience Overall, But Be Wary”

Hallmark Resort & Spa Cannon Beach
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Cannon Beach
Vancouver, Canada
“Great Experience Overall, But Be Wary”
Reviewed October 15, 2011

We stayed at the Hallmark Inn in Cannon Beach Oct 8-10 2011. I booked an Oceanfront King Spa room for a romantic weekend. When we arrived there was confusion at check in and I was given the key for a different room. I opened the door expecting a full oceanfront spa room with a king bed and was greeted with a musty, tiny, dark panelled room with little to no view. I marched back to the front desk immediately-let me put it this way-if this my room for the night, I would have slept in my car and returned home. The room was gross.

Luckily, it was a mix up and our real room was great. The ocean view was amazing, the balcony was great, the bed was super comfy, the spa tub was great, the shower was updated and luxurious. Yes, the property is a little dated, the carpet indoors and out is tired and in need of replacement, some of the furnishings are tired (bed tables, etc.) but otherwise it was great. The view of haystack rock was beautiful as well.

On the whole, I would absolutely go back, but only with this in mind:

1. Be careful what room you book. They are not all equal. I learned first hand that they have rooms I absolutely would not spend a night in. (Musty, dark, drab, gross).

2. If you want quiet, book the top floor. Our second morning we were awakened by a family overhead stomping around at 6am. The walls/ceilings are thin!

3. Housekeeping did not clean the spa tub during our stay. It was clean when we arrived, but not during our stay. Made me think a little about the quality of cleanliness and hygiene at this property.

Room Tip: Book the top floor! Be VERY careful at booking which type of room you are getting! Some are great, s...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Laurel S S
HallmarkResorts, General Manager at Hallmark Resort & Spa Cannon Beach, responded to this review, October 16, 2011
Hello Laurel S,
Thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay in Cannon Beach. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your visit and I"m sorry there was confusion with your check-in. I would appreciate it if you would let me know what room you were originally given. We do offer a huge variety of guestrooms at a variety of price points, but none should smell musty and we do not have paneling in any room styles.

As the closest resort to Haystack Rock, the views are amazing and in the fall, the sunsets can be breathtaking. I"m glad you enjoyed them.

You will be happy to know we are planning some major rennovations this winter/spring so when you return next fall, the resort will have a fresh new look. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to seeing you again.
Kirby Blankenship

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
Reviewed October 13, 2011

In August I had a need for an emergency Cannon Beach escape! I headed over from Salem expecting to stay the day, have a nice late lunch and head home. But the sun was so nice, and there was a play I wanted to see and I ended up wanting to stay the night. I had been to the Hallmark before on business and knew it was a great place, so that's where I headed. The front desk people couldn't have been nicer! Even without reservations they found me a great room and gave me a little discount for being a return customer. The room was clean, had a nice ocean view and a gas fireplace. Heaven! I will stay there any time I'm in Cannon Beach!

Room Tip: It's worth it to get a room overlooking the beach.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Dear GW,
I'm so happy that you enjoyed your stay at the Hallmark Resort in August. Thank you for your kind comments about the staff. We all strive to provide the best in friendly, professional service and I've passed your comments on to the front desk and housekeeping teams.

I also want to thank you for making the Hallmark Resort your home-away-from-home when you come to Cannon Beach. We appreciate your business and we look forward to having you return.
Take Care,
Langley, Washington
Reviewed October 10, 2011

We took a chance on a last minute stay at Hallmark and were pleasantly surprised. They were having a special, so we got oceanfront, fireplace rooms that were very comfortable and clean. A morning fire, and walk on the beach made for a delightful ending to an Oregon Coast trip. Hallmark will be our destination next time.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
vancouver
Reviewed October 7, 2011

GF and i stayed 1 night at the Hallmark in early October. We did not have reservations and just pulled up to the office. Andy at the front desk was friendly and accommodating with showing us rooms and explaining the rates. We chose the ocean front king room at a great rate! the view was specular and breathtaking.

the common areas of the building were a little worn, mainly the carpets and hallways, but i still had a great time for what we paid. Internet and parking are included in the rate.

I would stay again!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank homerj108
HomerJ, thanks for reviewing the Hallmark Resort on TripAdvisor. We appreciate everyone's comments, and take seasoned reviewers, like you, very seriously. All of us are passionate about customer service and Andy is exceptional at making people happy. Thanks for noticing and I've shared your comments with him.
I agree that some of our common areas are in need of refurbishment and I'm excited to tell you we are planning some major improvements to the exterior and walkway areas as well as the guestrooms. I believe you will be pleasantly surprised when you visit us next year.
Thank you for your being our guest and we look forward to seeing you again.
Tigard, Oregon
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Went with the family for a two-night stay to get away. Suite we had was a block away from the beach and came with jetted tub and fireplace as well as a balcony. Room was very spacious and had all the comforts of home.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
HI HarryM,
I'm delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at the Hallmark Suites. These 15 one-bedroom suites are often overlooked by guests seeking an ocean view, but are truly one of the best values in Cannon Beach. Just across the street from the beach access, fireplaces, living area, mini-gally and separate queen bedroom make them perfect for families. Did you get a chance to use the indoor pool and spa?
Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. We appreciate you choosing the Hallmark Resort for your family getaway and look forward to hosting you again.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed September 23, 2011

We visited Hallmark early September. Beautiful views from our room. The staff was very accomodating, even checked on us unsolicited. Stayed two days and should have stayed for a week! Very close to nice restaurants and town is either a short drive or within walking distances. You won't be disappointed!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2011

Got the romance package and they had it all set up early. After an unpleasant stay several years ago we were hesitant to stay here. Now we wish we had booked our whole trip for here. We spent a few nights before this at another motel but it didn't compare to the amazing view or the extra care given tomake sure our stay was the best it could be. Thank you Hallmark for making our anniversary one to remember. Look forward to coming back.

• Stayed September 2011
HallmarkResorts, General Manager at Hallmark Resort & Spa Cannon Beach, responded to this review, September 25, 2011
bstrads,
Congratulations on your anniversary! Thank you for sharing your celebration with us. I also want to thank you for giving us another chance after you had a bad experience. We strive to make every guest's stay memorable, but we are human and sometimes make mistakes. I'm happy to hear we took good care of you this time and look forward to seeing you again on your next anniversary, or even sooner.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cannon Beach
Best Western Ocean View Resort
Land's End at Cannon Beach
Land's End at Cannon Beach
#11 of 14 in Cannon Beach

Been to Hallmark Resort & Spa Cannon Beach? Share your experiences!