“Worst vacation ever!!! Beware, do not stay in the rental houses”

Hallmark Resort Cannon Beach
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Cannon Beach
Vancouver, Washington
“Worst vacation ever!!! Beware, do not stay in the rental houses”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2011

Our family planned for a spring break vacation months in advance at one of the rental houses operated by the Hallmark Inn. We had a family of 12 to include a newborn that was 11 weeks old at the time. Some family members even flew in from the east coast.

When we first got there the phone did not work, so the maintenance guy said he would have it fixed in a day or two. Then came the big issue....the wood paneling ceiling started leaking water!!! Probably dry rotted. We called maintenance once again and he asked if the shower curtain upstairs was in or out, as they have had problems in the past with the ceiling leaking...WELL FIX IT!!!!

The on duty manager was very nasty and not helpful at all. She said she could put us up in several different rooms, which I might add smelled like mold and mildew for the same price. Needless to say we did not stay as this was a hazard to my newborn child and everyone else in the house. I do not know how they continue to book these rentals when they are clearly not safe. I would not recommend staying in the rentals!

Room Tip: Make sure there are pictures
Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank Enderby03
beachhotelier99, General Manager at Hallmark Resort Cannon Beach, responded to this review, May 6, 2011
We truly do apologize that the phone experienced a service provider issue during your stay. They were called immediately and we understand how concerning this could be. I am sure you experienced frustration with the phones when trying to report what you felt was a water leak in the house. I am happy that our team responded so promptly. I have managed the property for some years now and am unaware of any leaks to the plumbing in that house. Guests before and since your stay have reported no issues what so ever. It appears as we tried to tell you, that the showers taken one after another by your teenage girls had the shower curtain left outside of the tub area and resulted in the flooding. Fortunately we were able to minimize the damage this caused . I am also happy to see that our desk staff was extremely hospitable in not only offering you alternate accommodations on an almost sold out weekend but also offered you the night for free for the inconvenience of the phone issue. I believe we were over the top in trying to meet your needs, are sorry you chose to check out early and do hope you were able to salvage the rest of your family gathering.

Regards
Bob Moyer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2011

Room was nice, gas fireplace was enjoyable, and the bed was heaven! My room was not oceanfront view room, but still had a nice view. A bit on the spendy side, but most of Cannon Beach is. Location is too far from the town to walk and parking in Cannon Beach can be tiresome.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
beachhotelier99, General Manager at Hallmark Resort Cannon Beach, responded to this review, April 30, 2011
Thank you very much for the nice compliment on our beds. We feel that a great night sleep should be on the top of the list for setting up that restful get-away we all need. I wanted to pass along a couple of tips for your next visit or for others reviewing your post. There is a free shuttle service that passes in front of the resort to downtown and back. Additionally the City is hotly debating the most suitable areas to increase the number of parking spaces for future travelers so hopefully that will be much improved soon.

Safe Travels

Issaquah, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2011

I travelled to Cannon Beach for 3 days over spring break with my two teenagers while my husband was travelling elsewhere on business. We looked at lots of houses and cottages to rent, but opted for the Hallmark since it was a short stay.

The location in Cannon Beach is wonderful. Haystack Rock is directly in front of the hotel, and we paid for an oceanfront room. Our room was slightly recessed and as such had a slightly compromised view, but it was still spectacular. The rooms are a bit dated, but we loved the design. We had a room with 1 bedroom, a kitchenette, a cozy fireplace, and a nice living space. There was a couch and a table by the window, perfect for playing games. A murphy bed easily folded down for extra sleeping space. The balcony was rather large and a great place to hang out to watch people, birds, kites, waves, storms, etc. The kitchenette was small but very efficient and nicely stocked. If you need a corkscrew for your wine bottle, just go to the front desk. Likewise for steak knives. Housekeeping was timely and quick -- our room was cleaned by the time we got back from breakfast.

The indoor pool and 2 hot tubs were a nice way to warm up as our weather was rather chilly. The beach is right there, down a few wooden steps, no problem for anyone of average fitness. What a great beach for flying a kite, looking in tidal pools, riding bikes (low tide) or just walking and people watching. There is covered parking.

The hotel is a short drive into Cannon Beach. You could walk in the summer, but it was too cold for us. Great restaurant choices in Cannon Beach (we had terrific dinners at Fultano's and the Driftwood Inn). Fun shopping, although not as much as I had expected. Many shops were closed (off season??)

The room price was fairly steep, but we were willing to spend the money for the ocean front, 1 bedroom unit. This is not a "luxury" hotel, but it was very comfortable, we loved the room layout and the location cannot be beat. It worked well for us and we will return in the future.

Room Tip: Make sure your oceanfront room is not recessed.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Vivendi4
beachhotelier99, Manager at Hallmark Resort Cannon Beach, responded to this review, April 18, 2011
Thank you for sharing your experiences during your trip over Spring Break. I am sure you have given other travelers great ideas on how to start their own traditions with us. We can't always promise your perfect weather but we can DEFINITELY promise the most spectacular views of Haystack Rock , beach and sunsets anywhere in the area ! Our strenght is in our genuine commitment to making sure you have a great stay. Later in the Spring we will be continuing forward with many updates in and around the property, complimenting our new flat screen TV s will be upgraded electronics, faster internet service (always free) new duvets and bed coverings and truck loads of new carpet. We hope to see you again soon.

Safe Travels

Tacoma, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2011

Whenever we saw Janice in the pool area, she spoke to my nieces, nephews, children, and I. She was very warm and cheery, always had a smile on her face. Our family has stayed at this resort quite a few times and because of Janice this was the first time we really felt welcomed. The house we stayed in and the view from the house was nice, but Janice was the best! She even left us a basket of sand dollars. We look forward to seeing her next time we visit. =)

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
North Plains, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2011

Misrepresented the spa had no nail tech or massage tech , no view of haystack from double jetted tub, hard bed, flat pillows $ 265.00 . Told place to eat across the street it was closed for remodeling . No response from management except a form letter they must get a lot of complaints. numerous promises non supplied. See form letter.

On behalf of all of us at the Hallmark Resort in Cannon Beach, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to tell us your thoughts in reference to your recent stay. As a company dedicated to legendary customer service, we believe that ‘listening’ to our guests is paramount to our success. You will be pleased to know WE LISTENED.

Let me start by expressing my deepest apologies that your experience was not up to the standards that both you and I expect while at the Hallmark Resort in Cannon Beach. I am sure that you can imagine that this is not the impression that we at the Hallmark would wish you to have. I have forwarded a copy of your email to my manager for him to review and see how we could do better in the future.

Our guests are our most important asset and your satisfaction is the yardstick by which we measure our success. Please don’t hesitate to let us know about your experiences with us, even if they prove to be negative. We appreciate all our guests’ efforts in helping us achieve our goal of being the premier North Coast destination resort.

Warm Regards,

Jenny Ellis

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Humphrythe3rd
HallmarkResorts, Owner at Hallmark Resort Cannon Beach, responded to this review, February 24, 2011
Dear Humphryt,
I am sorry to see you were so disappointed in your recent stay at the Hallmark Resort in Cannon Beach. I apologize that we did not meet your expectations. While it is not my intent to make excuses for your concerns, I do feel it is necessary to provide you with "the rest of the story" so to speak.

Our Spa, Elements by the Sea, does not have a nail tech. We have searched for a professional nail technician for nearly 1 year but have been unsuccessful. No spa in Cannon Beach currently has a nail tech. We do, however, have several massage therapists and there were therapists available on February 5th. Services were provided at 10am, noon, & 4pm that day. I'm sorry we missed you.

The Hallmark Resort is the closest resort to Haystack Rock and your spa guestroom had a full oceanfront view and is our closest spa guestroom to Haystack Rock. I'm sorry if you were led to believe that you could see the Rock while in the spa tub but the tubsy are located further back from the balconies for privacy.

I'm sorry the bed and pillows were not to your liking. It seems everyone has their personal favorites and we offer additional foam pads for bed and a variety of pillow styles for those who like something different. It's unfortunate you did not let us know you were were uncomfortable. We would have gladly tried to improve things.

I truly apologize for the generic-sounding email response you received from the hotel after you voiced your concerns. I have discussed this response with the staff and have corrected the way customer input is handled. We do care about every guest as an individual and you are right, each guest should be responded to on an individual basis. It is important to me to hear what we have done right, but more importantly, what we have done wrong so we can improve. As a result of your comments, we have made the following changes in our systems:

I have asked the Spa staff to post a sign clearly stating that services are available with a phone number to call when we are away from the reception desk.

All guest comments will be responded to on an individual basis and within 24 hours and we have reminded all our reservations staff that Haystack Rock cannot be seen from any spa tub in any hotel in Cannon Beach.

I'm sorry we let you down and I hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.
Kirby Blankenship
Vice President
Hallmark Inns & Resorts
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2011

I had won a gift certificate to the Hallmark at my company's holiday party last year and it was about to expire so my boyfriend and I decided to take a last minute trip to the coast. We ended up getting one of their deluxe king spa rooms at a steal. The room was amazing, the view was amazing, and the people were very friendly. We had a slight problem late at night with the drain on the tub, and though my boyfriend was able to fix it, the front desk had also sent someone out to assist us. I think my only complaint was that the bedding on the bed was a bit dated (the comfortor was one of those old quilts), however the bed was amazingly comfortable. I can't wait to go back another time.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2011

My husband and I enjoyed our quick trip to the coast. My priorities were a room with a view at a dog friendly hotel and this resort delivers! A full wall of windows leads out to a covered balcony--a perfect place to watch the waves crash into the beach. However, once the sun sets, the room isn't the best atmosphere--it could definitely use some updating (even fresh bedding would help). The furniture is big and clunky for the small rooms. Chairs on the balcony are a low-grade plastic--not great for curling up with a book.

The service and location make up for the lack of atmosphere, so I would still definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple