“beyond disappointing!”

Ranked #2 of 18 Cannon Beach B&B and Inns
Portland, Oregon
“beyond disappointing!”
Reviewed July 17, 2010

I have to say that this has been my worst hotel experience as an adult (and I have stayed at many hotels/inns across the US and abroad). I was looking for a quaint, small, tasteful inn/hotel on the coast and thought this would be a perfect fit. Boy, was I wrong!
As the previous reviewer mentioned, the staff at the front desk - all three whom we interacted with during our stay - were cold, uninterested, and even appeared annoyed at times. My niece, who was visiting us all the way from Atlanta, even said "that lady at the front desk is 'mean' (the woman had a "matter-of-fact" tone). Later, one of the staff was rolling her eyes(!) and sighing(!) as she spoke with a potential guest on the phone (she was having to explain that there was no availability at any of their properties). Even if she had a reason to be annoyed, you SHOULD NEVER look that exasperated in front of your hotel guests!!!! Talk about unprofessional...
When I checked in, I explained that there would be three people staying in our room instead of 2 (the room fit up to 4). The staff said, "I'll be sure to bring up an extra set of towels, they're in the dryer right now." Great! Well, the towels never arrived and in the evening, we asked someone else at the front desk about it - she said "sure no problem", then called back 15 min later stating, "I'll have to go to one of our other properties to find some towels." THEN, later that night, STILL NO TOWELS!!!!! I didn't even bother trying to call again. The NEXT night, they put an extra obviously OLD STRIPPED BEACH TOWEL in our room - NO hand towel either! AND, one of the 2 standard white bath towels had A BIG WHOLE/RIP IN IT! We skipped showers that 2nd morning and waited until we got back home to Portland.
Also, I became very wary of the cleanliness of the place when we arrived after finding TWO TOENAIL CLIPPINGS in corners of the bathroom. Disgusting! I decided not to walk around barefoot in the room at all. The carpet was also pretty stained, though I would expect that since everyone probably tracks in sand/dirt, etc. At least the bed linens seemed clean...
Even the restaurant next door was disappointing. The poor frazzled hostess/waitress was running around trying to take orders, bring out water, plates, orange juice needed squeezing, etc. They were trying their best, but all the various guests were waiting a long time - in line to order, for their water, for their food....my husband and niece finally got their orange juice about 1/2 way through their breakfast (someone had to squeeze more juice). My husband got a scone that tasted soggy and 1/2 baked. We went somewhere else for breakfast the next morning - didn't even bother redeeming our 'breakfast vouchers' from the hotel.
Needless to say, I will never be staying at this hotel (or trying any of its other three properties) the next time I'm in Cannon Beach!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank pdxtex
CBHLGM, General Manager at Cannon Beach Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2010
I was saddened to read that you were disappointed with our facilities and would like to apologize at the treatment you recieved. Since your visit we have undergone several staffing changes that have addressed many of the issues that you raised. I can now say with confidence that we have one of the greatest Hotel staffs in Cannon Beach, and I hope that you will try us again and experience Cannon Beach Hotel at its finest!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
San Diego, California
Reviewed June 21, 2010

This group of three Inns was listed as "small charming Inns in the heart of Cannon Beach" in the National Geographic Guide to Weekend Getaways. This Inn has the potential to be charming, however the staff was generally indifferent, the hall were not clean during our stay, our room had a broken shade and an unfinished repair on the shower wall. The food in the hotel restaurant was poor.
This was an anniversary trip for us and this was the low point of an otherwise very good trip.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank billandjudymac
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed April 4, 2010

I visited this hotel a couple years ago and was very pleased with everything. It felt like we got what we paid for. I wanted to go back.

Reading newer reviews and talking to the (somewhat dry-affected) staff on the phone, I understood that the quaint, more gourmet built-in restaurant had been sold and was now operated as a "casual" cafe. I researched other dining options, no problem (as an aside, the Newman's at 988 is two or three houses down the street has delectable fine dining, and a full dessert and wine/port menu).

This building has been around a long time and no doubt it will still be there for many years to come, but I did notice some very minor wear and tear. Overall, the public spaces and rooms were very clean and my companion repeatedly remarked on how cozy they are. Wonderful tubs. Very comfortable. The WIFI was not working, and the staff blamed it on a storm. Not sure about that, because we were using a weak signal from the neighboring hotel's Internet.

I must remark; however, that the staff could be friendlier. It seemed like someone had died and that we visitors were spoiling the "party." A welcome, a smile, tearing your eyes away from your book or the Internet to engage the visitor, offering help and suggestions, staying at the desk when a visitor approaches (!) -- for the price, I expect these things.

As a final note, the cafe next door is maybe a bit nicer, if that, than dining at Applebee's. The service was very good but the place is extremely casual (if the server can wear jeans, a hooded sweatshirt, and a baseball cap, so can you). The B&B gives you a $6 voucher towards a breakfast there, but I recommend going to Lazy Susan's instead.

• Stayed March 2010
Portland
Reviewed March 7, 2010

We had high expectations for this hotel. Several small things occured, which in isolation would not be a huge deal but taken together spoiled our stay. First, the bathrobes has rips/holes in them. The dvd player did not work and when we informed the staff they did nothing about it. We were made to feel silly when we asked the front desk attendant for enough ice for a champagne bucket and she denied our request. We went to the market for our ice instead. In the morning, we were supposed to get a knock on the door when our breakfast basket was ready and never received the knock. When we finally poked our heads out the door the breakfast basket was there, but the coffee was cold. We wrote a letter explaining our disappointment, but never received any note of apology. Instead we get seasonal email specials. We cannot brings ourselves to go back because of the poor service.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank funbeach
Seattle
Reviewed February 21, 2010

I stayed for two nights while presenting a workshop at a nearby school. The hotel is warm and inviting with a cozy fireplace in the lobby. I got a great winter rate ($80 a night) plus a complimentary breakfast for both nights I stayed. The room is cozy with a gas fireplace, DVD player, and nice linens. The bathroom is luxurious and clean. The outside traffic can be a bit noisy if the windows are open as the hotel does sit right on the main street. However, everything is easily walkable from the hotel--including the beach and Haystack Rock which is about a block away. I would recommend this hotel as a good winter place to stay while in Cannon Beach.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank travelgal2008Seattle
Oregon
Reviewed July 26, 2009

We were attracted to the hotel because we got to see our room photos on the web site before we arrived. The photos did not lie our room was spectacular. Very clean, big bath tub, comfortable bed, expensive linins, soft towels, and a gas fireplace.
The staff was five stars with a charming small town easy about them. Even the housekeeper was great.
The food in the restaurant was fantastic and lots of it. We ate here before when the restaurant was under a different name and the food was good but very expensive. Now it’s just great food at a fair price.
We recommend this place to everyone. They also have three other properties so we can bring out dog next time. The Cannon Beach Hotel could not allow pets to this perfect place, but we checked out the McBee Cottages and they looked charming.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed July 5, 2009

We stayed here for two nights and had a lovely time. The hotel is really close to the beach and although other people mentioned noise from the street, we didn't have a problem. We stayed in #6, had a queen bed, TV & DVD player (there are movies for you to borrow from the hotel), a gas fireplace, and small bathroom with shower. I was a bit nervous about the bathroom based on what other people had said, but it was totally fine. The toilet and shower are close but water wasn't spewing everywhere. It's definitely a small shower, but it was totally fine.

I appreciated the small things: the salt water taffy bowl by the bed, the tea and coffee in the lobby, and the delivery of the paper each morning outside our door.

The only thing I could criticize is the continental breakfast which didn't taste very good (granola + fruit), but we did have an option of applying the $6 toward anything else on the menu. Something else that might pose a problem for some people is that the staff aren't there after 10pm, so if you needed anything you'd be outta luck.

All in all, a nice stay for a reasonable price in Cannon Beach.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple