“Food ok, service fine”

Sweet Basil's Cafe
Ranked #16 of 49 Restaurants in Cannon Beach
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch
Description: Offering a healthy choice at the coast. Many vegetarian and Gluten free options. House smoked pork and meat options also available. At dinner Cajun/Creole dishes are featured plus local Northwest ingredients. Live music nightly in the Wine Bar.
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Maybe I'm overrating this restaurant. The food was ok, or a bit better, but certainly not "excellent" as others have said. But the service was fine. It wasn't slow either. This was lunch, so maybe things work better then.

I had a veggie reuben, something I see every decade or so, and it wasn't all that good. My wife liked her seafood wrap. We both thought the cole slaw was too sweet. Probably "meh" sums it up. The place is quirky though.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

On a weekend stay in Cannon Beach, we were referred to this restaurant by the hotel staff. Since it's billed as a Wine Bar and a restaurant, it sounded right up our alley. The negatives...it's very small with tight seating. If you go with more than four in your party, you probably won't sit together. It's a WINE BAR!, so you would think there would be an emphasis on having correctly sized and matching glasses to go with their good wine selection. We ordered a very nice bottle of wine with dinner (ended up ordering two!) and were brought four small glasses, one of which was an oddball. When asked about the bigger glasses we saw being used in the bar area, the waitress said they were all in use or dirty and needed to be washed. Huh? We waited about fifteen minutes for the good wineglasses. Petty? Not if you appreciate wine.
The positives...the food was very good. I would highly recommend the pork Osso Buco. Very nice presentation and wonderful flavor. Done perfectly. Two in our party had this and I was so absorbed in mine, I can't remember what the other two had, but I know they liked their meal also.
Our waitress was very personable (wish I had noted her name) and we had a lot of fun with her. We even laughed off the fact that she spilled a full glass of ice water in my lap. The only disconcerting part about that was usually a restaurant (or waitperson) will comp you something...dessert, a round of drinks, deduct a meal, or something! We got nothing, not even an offer.

3  Thank Heywoodya
Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

We dined here after driving from Dundee, OR. That was a rough start, but we wanted a low key dinner. The service was a little slow, food was ok. The server was gracious, so we didn't mind. Good option for a relaxing dinner.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

My wife and I really enjoyed the dinner we had during our recent visit to Cannon Beach. Since it was the first time we had been to the Oregon coast and Cannon Beach we stopped in the information center. The helpful attendant suggested Sweet Basil's Cafe and it sounded like just the type of place we were looking for--small quiet, relaxed, with good fresh food. Sweet Basil's delivered on all aspects. My wife loved her Orso Busco (sp??) and my chicken dish was tender, and absolutely delicious. The chef really takes pride in his preparations and presentations and it showed in the meals we enjoyed. It was early evening , so the main dinner crowd had not yet showed up and we really enjoyed chatting with the waitress and chef before the place filled up. We loved this place!!!

1  Thank Ron S
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Had an amazing dinner the other night. Super friendly staff, very accommodating considering they were very busy and we brought our baby. One of the best meals I have ever had (I had the Pork). A definite must for dinner if you are in Cannon Beach.

2  Thank Derek H