“slow service but good food”
Review of Sweet Basil's Cafe

Sweet Basil's Cafe
Ranked #13 of 51 Restaurants in Cannon Beach
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch
Description: Offering a healthy choice at the coast. Many vegetarian and Gluten free options. House smoked pork and meat options also available. At dinner Cajun/Creole dishes are featured plus local Northwest ingredients. Live music nightly in the Wine Bar.
Reviewed August 8, 2012

we went on a summer weekend so the restaurants we wanted to go to had at least 1 hr wait. We ended up at Sweet Basil's cafe with maybe 20 mins wait to get a table. This is only the beginning. I noticed another table didn't get their menu after sitting down for at least a good 15-20 mins. I figured I would go get the menu myself to save us some waiting time. Wine and shrimp cocktail arrived in reasonable time but the cooked food was soooooo slow. We waited from sunshine to sunset, from warm to super cold (after the sun went down). I had to hold my dog in my lap to keep myself warm and ended up standing indoor to wait for my food. I think we waited for at least an hour for our food in shaking cold. My crab pie was good but really small portion (for the price $22?) and came out cold. My husband hot dish was really good, i have to say (sorry forgot what he ordered) and was hot. When i went in to pay for the bill, noticed that the kitchen is quite unorganized. They use couple of portable stoves and regular home use pots and pans. No wonder food are slow. They do have good food but does it worth the long wait....I don't know.

Reviewed July 27, 2012

Sweet Basil's is one of the best restaurants I have ever eaten at on the coast of Oregon.
I don't love most of the restaurants in Cannon Beach, Oregon; however, everytime my family and I visit Cannon Beach, we eat at Sweet Basil and thoroughly enjoy it. There are lots of options for lunch, and I hear dinner is great there too. Try their daily soup specials, and sea food specials. The service is always great. Sitting outside is also a great way to catch some sun, some nice breeze, and meet some other tourists, and locals too.

1  Thank Marlyn15E
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Looking at the menu my husband and I were excited to try Sweet Basil's and were sadly disappointed! As longtime visitors to Cannon Beach we were thrilled to finally try Sweet Basil's. The restaurant is small and intimate with a menu that upon reading looks very tempting.

Upon arrival we selected a out door table and were notified that they just received a rush and would get to us as soon as possible. As former NYC restaurant people we understand that you can get a rush and were appreciative of the notice. Little did we know that after that they would forget my wine and that we would have to wait 45 minutes for a cheese plate!

As for the food, our first appetizer/small bite was delicious but the cheese plate was nothing but Costco cheeses and jams arranged carefully on a plate (note to chef...Oregon is home to many wonder cheese makers...do some research because many people shop and buy cheeses at Costco)! I would like to say that we enjoyed our entrees but after waiting a good hour had to tell them we had to leave to make a show at the theater (which we mentioned to our server prior to ordering our drinks). Our food was then wrapped and brought to us with the bill. We were assured by our server that the owner/manager felt terrible but never saw them.

Note to owner/manager: if you are truly sorry for the services a customer receives tell them in person. Also, when guests have a noticeably bad experience comp a drink or two...you would be amazed at what this goodwill will do towards getting a return customer. But as we received neither, we will look towards other restaurants in Cannon Beach to fill our stomachs (like Driftwood or the Irish Table) and will tell everyone we know going to Cannon Beach (and living in Cannon Beach which we know many) to avoid this restaurant.

5  Thank Jenni T
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I had a delightful dinner here, with some excellent wine. There was a guitarist playing, too, and the service was very nice.

Reviewed July 23, 2012

We went because of the vegan options and good reviews. Food was good however I have never been treated more rudely. We were a party of four. After 15 minutes of waiting for any service even to place order, one of our party asked if they remembered we were there. The rest of the evening, the staff were belligerent asking if we really wanted to wait. We should have left. Obnoxious attitude continued through the long evening. Almost an hour with only glass of water. When food came, it did not have ingredients listed on menu. Will never return. Too bad since we enjoyed the food that was correctly described.

1  Thank DrDavidMetric