“Terrible Service...left before we ate!”

Morris' Fireside Restaurant
Ranked #34 of 49 Restaurants in Cannon Beach
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Stopped in for a late lunch. Asked about the seasonal salad ( have several food alergies). We were told told by the waiter (a tall older gentleman) that the salad contains several fruits and vegetables marinaded in a poppy dressing. Inquired further about the ingredients and was informed that it changes often and he could not tell us what was in it. I asked if it would be possible to check with the chef. He returned a few minutes later with a small dish of the salad and said we could look through it to see what was in it. He was rude, and very annoyed with us. Decided not to stay.

After reading the reviews here, we were glad we left.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

We stopped for dinner there while staying at McBee Cottages. It looked like a nice place from the outside, and we were celebrating a special birthday. When we entered we stood in the lobby, no one came to greet us. We had almost decided to turn around and leave when someone showed up and seated us. We were the only ones in the restaurant which made us wonder if we should question our decision to stay. I ordered a cocktail, my husband ordered a beer. Beer only comes in a can there, but he said ok. We ordered dinner, he had the rib eye and I had the halibut. It was just ok. Nothing special. Neither of us touched the vegetables on our plates. They just didn't look very appetizing. While we were eating we saw other couples enter the restaurant and stand there waiting to be seated. When no one came to seat them they turned around and walked out. I wonder if the restaurant realizes they are losing potential customers? Maybe that is why there was only one other couple in the restaurant while we were there. Would I recommend this restaurant? No, I think we could have done better elsewhere.

1  Thank linda o
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Service was good, the menu was varied and reasonably priced. We had Crab Louie's crab very fresh. This is a family owned restaurant with a long history in Cannon Beach.

1  Thank Ellen M
Reviewed September 25, 2013

This would be a great location for a restaurant. The building is interesting with some history, but the server was untrained and unkempt and the evening's special was deplorable. This place needs a cook who understands (and cares) about basic food preparation. If you can't make a meat loaf that holds together with a gravy made from scratch... Have to say the mashed potatoes wouldn't have been bad except they had some (maybe celery) bits incorporated, uncooked. The broccoli side was dry and flavorless. All in all, I found this meal to be a waste of money. A good cleaning crew might help, as well.

1  Thank GatoDiablo
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Got up early and drove to Cannon City from Portland on a dreary Monday morning. At first I thought the town had been evacuated - not a creature was stirring and it was rainy and foggy.

The first place I saw with an "Open" sign was Fireside Restaurant. It's just breakfast - everyone can make a good breakfast. Right?

Having eaten some unhealthy meals during this trip, I zeroed in on the spinach / onion / mushroom / sausage omelet. I make those at home and they're great! And it came with hashbrowns and a biscuit (to which I added country gravy - I don't cook those at home).

I'm sure glad I ordered the country gravy (paid extra, too) . . . it was the only thing with any flavor. Seriously. I took several sips of water between bites and kept trying the omelet. Bland. How do you make a bland omelet with spinach, onions and mushrooms? I mean, almost no flavor at all. Without the country gravy lighting up my taste buds I actually questioned whether I'd lost the ability to sense flavor.

Service was attentive (I was one of four tables).

Just . . . disappointing. And expensive for what you can get at Denny's for $6 (not that there's a Denny's in Cannon Beach).