“Good for a warm stop in meal, but nothing to write home about”

Morris' Fireside Restaurant
Ranked #35 of 49 Restaurants in Cannon Beach
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I ate here with my parents and overall it was an OK experience. We came on a very slow night and enjoyed having half the restaurant to ourselves (and sitting near the fire). The feel of the restaurant is homey and cozy, and we were given polite (just not outstanding) service. I would say the service was more "laid back" than some big city restaurants, but no complaints.

Pluses:
- Very good clam chowder. Tasted creamy and authentic, not like it was thickened up with flour. The potatoes in it tasted fresh, not like they'd come out of the freezer. Not tons of clam and bacon bits in it, but overall very good. (Note: the crackers in the package they served me were completely stale and I picked them out of my soup after I'd crumbled them in there).
- Good "fish n' chips" if you only evaluate the fish. The halibut was done very well and was tasty. If I go back, I''ll just get the halibut sans fries. The fries (or whatever the house strips of potatoes are called that were part of the dish) were not so good. They weren't crunchy, they were soggy, and they had ZERO flavor. I recognize that traditional British fish n' chips are often quite plain, but I have to say these fries were pathetic.
- Decent pasta dish (chicken pesto) with very good garlic bread. My dad mentioned it was a little acidic, but I enjoyed the sauce (pesto was made with hazelnuts, a creative take).

Wanted to try the fun desserts listed, and the french toast and other breakfast specials sounded good.

Overall, it was a good, if not hugely memorable meal. I'd recommend it to others, but wouldn't be upset if I couldn't go back.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

The owner has a great sense of humor. We ate in the Liver Friendly Society room!!! I had the chipotle black bean burger which was very tasty. The oyster stew was excellent. They had
an excellent broccoli and fruit salad which has divine.
It felt like a very upscale, vegetarian Appleby's.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

Off sesson mid week, Service quick could be more helpful, Ask if could have toast instead of pancakes & she pointed at the menu saying no. Did have the pancakes & eggs "very good" My wife enjoyed the hash browns. Ok for breakfast, not sure I would wait for a table.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Traveling with another couple- four folks with various appetites and preferences made happy. One ordered oyster stew, one grilled salmon eggs Benedict, the ladies split havarti, grilled onion big ol' burger (forget name) and hand cut fries. All very good. Burger patty was a pre-made shaped one, don't like those, they aren't juicy and crumbly like hand-packed. Other than that it was all delicious. Grilled salmon guy was really pleased. Oyster stew tasted fresh and flavorful. Served with saltines not good crusty bread. Too bad. Now the bread pudding- served with chocolate sauce and whipped cream and trix garnish. We all four shared. Plenty. So good and moist. Tasted like it was made with cinnamon rolls. Loved our brusque older guy waiter. Same age as us!!! Nice change from being waited on by kids.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

The 1st time we ate here was back in January 1997, on our honeymoon, we could barely afford a grilled cheese but the food was great, service was warm and welcoming and great little cozy place. We have continued to go back every time we are in Cannon Beach. Our most recent visit was Easter Sunday 2013. We had our children with us and we had a wonderful experience, the kids had yummy food and we sat by the fireplace and enjoyed our food and the cozy atmosphere. I tried the clam chowder and was THRILLED! It was excellent!