“Conflicted”

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
oregon
“Conflicted”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We had a bad and then good experience here. We came here for dinner on Sunday 12/9/12. Waited 5 minutes in foyer, sign said to wait to be seated. The only other couple in the restaurant were leaving. We were never greeted, we ended up leaving and going to another Restaurant........We went back the next morning for breakfast, (normally we wouldn't go back but loved the looks of the place and wanted to try) we were seated right away. We were the only ones there. We did hear others come in, and then after no one greeted them they left. Our food was excellent. This restaurant needs new management, could be a great restaurant with great atmosphere and in a great location.

Visited December 2012

Portland, OR
“Great Atmosphere”
Reviewed December 7, 2012

We go here for breakfast each time we're in Cannon Beach. When it's rainy and cold, the fireplace is a welcoming respite. The log cabin architecture (it was built in central Oregon, disassembled and then rebuilt on site with a major update a few years back) creates a very pleasant 'sense of place.' This restaurant has been in the Morris family for 40 years and they continue to staff it, giving it a friendly, family feel. Breakfast menu and food is good with attentive coffee refills.

• Visited November 2012
Sumner, Washington
“Disappointing”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

We use to make sure we dined here, but no longer. The service has gone down hill. Also, recommend breakfast or lunch, but not the dinners. They do have a great clam chowder so may go back for a bowl of that sometime. Would like to give them a second chance sometime but not sure when.....

Visited July 2012
Salem, Oregon
“Best Damn Clam Chowder In Oregon!!!!!”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

The Clam Chowder at the Fireside was recommended by a waiter at a very good Portland seafood restaurant. After trying it 2YRS ago, I have deemed it the best in Oregon. I have tried many clam chowders in oregon at many places. This chowder is #1 in my top 10. The rest of the food is good with many choices. The restaurant's decor is absolutly awsome and is a very beautiful log cabin building. Looking forward to my birthday soon in Cannon Beach and enjoying the best chowder in Oregon.

• Visited April 2012
Boise, Idaho
“Beautiful place, disappointing food”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

My husband and I went there for dinner and although it didn't seem to be a local favorite (it was nearly empty on a Saturday evening) the previous reviews had nothing horrible to say. We were both disgusted. Our server was polite but his English wasn't great so he was a little hard to understand. We ordered crab cakes for nearly $20 and got 3 cakes with a preserve on the side that was the best tasting thing we were served. My husband ordered the Captains Platter I think it was called, for $24.00 and I ordered a bowl of chowder ($8.75) and mashed potatoes ($4.50). I sent my mashed potatoes back, where they are listed as a side dish, it says nothing about garlic and they were full of garlic. Normally my husband likes a little garlic in his, but this was like eating a clove dipped in starch. The chowder was decent, not the best and it was very rich so I would suggest not ordering more than a cup. My husbands vegetables were cold and under cooked; he could not even melt butter on them. The batter his meal was fried in was plain for $24.00 and his oysters were like eating a ball of fat that was fried. When he took a bite, I honestly thought he was not going to be able to swallow it. I sent back my mashed potatoes, and I am pretty sure (again could not understand his English very well) that our server said the potatoes come from a box already mixed up, for $4.50 a serving? The building is beautiful and that is why we decided to eat there, but there is a fake fire in the fireplace in the middle of the restaurant and there are some tables situated around it, but we were sat at a table by the window and there was a chilly draft throughout dinner. Also on every table, I'm assuming it was to replace a candle, there were little battery operated LED lanterns. They were neat, but a little tacky and threw off the cozy atmosphere. To end the night I was given a free cup of chowder, and I was only charged for the potatoes. Grand total was I think $52.00 and I get less sick to my stomach when I eat McDonalds. Our server was very nice and polite, and it was a nice building with a good view of the downtown area, but we will never eat there again.

• Visited November 2012