“Fine Food and Intimate Setting”
Review of Newmans at 988

Newmans at 988
Ranked #8 of 51 Restaurants in Cannon Beach
Cuisines: French, Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 19, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed a wonderful meal at Newman's which entirely lived up to the restaurant's fine dining reputation. Our choice was that evening's chef's special which was thoughtfully planned, executed and presented. A perfectly seared appetizer of seared foie gras and pear with demi-glace sauce was followed by a palate cleansing arugula salad which included chevre, olives and toasted hazel nuts. The main course was a succulent halibut with piccata sauce, mushroom risotto cake and vegetables. Our fish was first lightly seared then finished in the oven to keep it moist and tender. The dessert course was a decadent pumpkin bread pudding topped with bourbon ice cream that was comfort food to the next level. This was a coordinated menu that flowed perfectly from one course to the next. Our server was attentive but not intrusive and we lacked for nothing during the meal. Tables here are closely placed due to the small dining space and the effect is much like dining in a European restaurant yet even with the close seating the noise level never reached a point where conversation with your dining companion was difficult. This is a place I would highly recommend but plan ahead as you may have trouble getting in without a reservation.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

If only my duck had been cooked, it would have been a great experience! Seriously, it was served very very rare. I should have sent it back but didnt. I wasnt sure what was wrong with it at first as it's very dark in this small house so I couldn't really see the meat much, but cutting it was hard, and then after a few bites of thinking it was just fatty realized it wasn't done. My husbands steak was excellent. The crab cakes were all crab and delicious, and the pear salad was outstanding. Service was fine and they had a good selection of wines. I'd go again but order differently.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Had a lovely dinner here October 11. Lobster ravioli - yum yum yum. Katie was our fab server. Tiny dining room and side room but we like it! Romantic, cozy and nice.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Last night Lisa and I enjoyed a perfect meal. As someone who has dined at restaurants five nights a week for too many decades (business), this experience stands out.

Last night we dined at Newman’s 988 in Cannon Beach, OR. I have raved about this place before, but I will do so again.

It was a slow night for Newman’s, packed from 6pm on. People were waiting and begging for a table. Lisa and I had a couple different salads (green salad and grilled romaine salad), the lobster ravioli (unbelievably tasty), the medallions of beef (perfect), and two desserts (cheesecake and Crème Brulee). Did I mention the wine at an affordable price?

Our server, Katy, couldn’t have been more professional and efficient. I don’t know what John Newman pays her, but she deserves a raise.

1  Thank BBSeattle
Reviewed October 11, 2013

French Italian Cuisine at its BEST...If you are looking for the perfect quaint restaurant reminiscent of a European Bistro...NEWMANS at 988 is the real deal... a small, eloquent dining room sets the intimate fine dining experience of a lifetime. The servers are there for you... friendly, professional and experienced to take care of you. Superb Service, Out of this World Cuisine (thank you Chef/Owner John Newman, C.E.C.0 Top Notch Value and Quaint, Romantic Atmosphere...

ONE OF THEE BEST DINING EXPERIENCES EVER...j