“local pic”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Welches, Oregon
“local pic”
Reviewed April 21, 2008

I am a local of Cannon Beach Oregon. I work as a concierge at a local hotel and I make it a point to regularly visit the restaurants here in this town. Newman's is one of the restaurants I will recommend above any other. The ambience is small, romantic, and with a homey ittalian touch. Chef john and his wife Sandy will often make it a point to interact with their guests, and are well respected in the small community as well. The last time I went I had Lobster Ravioli, which I requested as an appetizer, and absolutely loved it with the marsala sauce they top it with. I had the beef madallions, which are to die for, and finished my meal with creme brulee. Everything was absolutely delicious, ther service is always excelent. If you are visiting Cannon Beach, I will definitely recommend coming here.

2 Thank emariemyers

Belleair Beach, FL
“Lobster Ravioli should be called Lobster Wonton”
Reviewed April 8, 2008

We were told by several people how fabulous the lobster ravioli was. I LOVE lobster ravioli so we cancelled our reservations at the Wayfarer and made them at Newman's. I can't say it was a big mistake, but I was disappointed. The ravioli is not made with a traditional thick pasta skin but with a very thin wonton type skin. You get three of these "raviolis" drizzled with a sauce. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't what I was expecting. I also found there wasn't much lobster in the ravioli, more cheese than lobster. On a more positive note, I started with the polenta appetizer which was very very good. The homemade bread was delicious. My husband had the rack of lamb, it was a good size portion and he said it was tasty. For dessert we each had homemade gelato which was good. We only were in Cannon Beach for one night so we didn't make it to Wayfarer's so I can't compare the two, but probably if I had chosen something else for my entree I would give Newmans a higher rating. Our server was very friendly and attentive. The atmosphere is cozy, you definitely need to use a very soft voice or others will hear your conversation. This is a small place- it's in a yellow house, so I would imagine during the season you would need to make reservations in advance. We called just a few hours in advance on a Sunday night and had no problem, but every table was taken.

1 Thank jackieh8
Canada
“Best in Cannon Beach”
Reviewed March 24, 2008

Fine dining options are limited in Cannon Beach, but Newman's is worth a visit every time. Our most recent visit found us having their delicious crab cakes once again to start, followed by the Lobster Ravioli and the Duck. With friendly service, a nice inviting room, and many wines by the glass, this is our favourite place to eat in Cannon Beach.

1 Thank Capt-Canuck5
Oregon
“Didn't meet expectations”
Reviewed February 15, 2008

I had heard some really good things about this restaurant, but I was disappointed this evening when we went for dinner. The crab cakes were very good, and the salad with pears and gorgonzola was nicely done, but nothing special. The french onion soup was not what we expected -- instead of being steaming hot and served in a ceramic crock as is usually done, this version came in a shallow bowl with a tiny crouton on top -- not the best version. The biggest disappointment however, was the lobster ravioli. If you're going to charge $26.00 for 5 raviolis, then you should at least use fresh pasta and not wonton skins!! The filling was good, but this dish would be been so much better if they had used fresh pasta. Wonton skins are a home cook's shortcut and should NEVER be used in a restaurant that touts itself as "gourmet". That is just inexcusable. Overall, not a bad dnner, just not worth $92 for two people (that only included one glass of wine and no dessert).

1 Thank Portlandtravlr
Newport Beach, California
“Excellent”
Reviewed February 10, 2008

Small place and intimate, excellent food. A little noisy for quiet conversation. Had duck which seemed to melt in my mouth. Bread pudding for dessert was the best I have ever tasted from a restaurant. I would highly recommend it and will definately go again.